February 5th, 2013 at 1:50 PM

On Monday, retired New York Giants running back Tiki Barber joined Reddit.com for an AMA, which is also know as "ask me anything." The purpose of the collaboration, as you might have guessed, was to engage the fans and, literally, answer anything they asked. It was a bold move for Barber, who has both loyal fans who never waiver in their support of him, and fans who refuse to forgive him for what they deem "selfish behavior."

Tiki Barber Pictures, Images and Photos

Whether you support Barber or not, the concept behind an AMA was an intriguing one. He's made some interesting and controversial choices in both his career and personal life, so opening Pandora's Box was a major selling point. Needless to say, the AMA did not disappoint, and Barber held nothing back in his answers.

As personal as some of the questions got, it was a simple inquiry about which defender he would most often try to avoid that garnered the most bizarre and interesting answer.

"Jeremiah Trotter. We played each other so much and knew each other so well that when he hit me, he hit me hard. But he'd also help me up and sometimes tickle me under the pile," Barber wrote.

Let that sink in for a moment. Philadelphia Eagles linebacker Jeremiah Trotter, a four-time Pro Bowler and two-time All-Pro, used to tickle Tiki Barber under the pile, on the field, during actual NFL games.

Barber failed to elaborate on it any further, and didn't answer any follow-ups, so that begs the question: is tickle torture in the NFL common practice? It seems rather bizarre, especially when you consider that most players have horror stories about what goes on in the pile (case in point: Bill Romanowski purposely broke the fingers of David Meggett during a pile-up).

On the other side of things however, they do call it the "City of Brotherly Love" for a reason. But it's still strange to think that the Eagles' most fearsome linebacker would use fluttering fingers to mess with opposing players.

Tags: Football, Jeremiah Trotter, New York, New York Giants, NFL, Philadelphia, Philadelphia Eagles, Tiki Barber

37 Responses to “Retired New York Giants RB Tiki Barber: Eagles’ Jeremiah Trotter Used to Tickle Me Under the Pile”

1.  The Original G Man says:

*awkward silence ensues*

2.  BigBlueGiant says:

LOL!

to this article.

3.  jfunk says:

Pillow fight!

4.  Chad Eldred says:

I have no reservations about my love for Tiki. I don’t care about the sour grapes and miscellaneous nonsense, I left junior high behind long ago. He was a joy to watch and his final few years were the greatest that I’ve seen any Giant RB ever have.

• Dan BentonDan Benton says:

I tend to agree. Got a lot of respect for Tiki as a player, and although I don’t agree with some of his personal decisions, those are his own to make. I’ve spoken with him a number of times and he’s always classy, down to earth and appreciative of his fans.

•  jfunk says:

Anybody who questions Tiki’s football career is smoking something.

The guy looked like a Hall of Famer for the last five years of his career. The slow first five years and his self inflicted reputation as a fumbler are what will keep him from ever being considered.

That being said, I just don’t like the guy because he’s a jerk. Nothing Jr. High about it. If people are jerks, I don’t like them. Tiki’s one of the great Giants of all time and he’s also a first class a-hole.

•  Jason McEwan says:

Was he a jerk to you?

•  LUZZ says:

Kind of irrelevant… Lance Armstrong never did anything to me but I still think he’s a jerk. Ditto Roger Clemons, Barry Bonds, Arod, Jim Harbaugh, etc.

It’s a sports blog (and the offseason at that) so we’re allowed to banter about who we think are jerks.

I think Tiki’s a a jerk. I could care less about his personal life, we’ve all done things we aren’t proud of in that area. I can’t get over him kicking Eli while he was down though. Eli had a tough growing period in the league and took a lot of unneeded sh!t from the pundits all over the league, but to have an x-teammate slam you like that in the press was a low blow by Tiki. For that I think he’s a tool.

This may be the weirdest story ever.

6.  UANYG says:

What next? Ray Handley and Rich Kotite used to cry in each others arms because of how badly they sucked.

For some reason the 2000s great giants like Shrahan and Tiki I don’t love the same as the LT and Simms bunch or our current group. It’s probably no good reason.

Tiki was a great player for us. But his greatest wasn’t associated with as much team success as others so that’s part of the reason he’s not going to be remembered as other are. His off the field personality and transgressions will be held against him by another faction. But my reason for not liking him is the way he tried to make fun of Eli after he retired. I respect opinion and the job he had to do but the way it was done just felt very trader like. AP now is sometimes critical of us but there’s still a way it’s done that’s respectful. Tiki doing that right after he retired and even doing the SB run just leaves a bad taste that’s hard to ever forget. He was a little better than Rodney Hampton but I will always remember Hampton and even Joe Morris more fondly. Hopefully, Wilson sets the bar at a whole different level for Giant RBs.

8.  TheCatch says:

George Martin play mentioned on earlier tread;

•  LUZZ says:

Goose bumps watching LT tackle Martin in the endzone. What a block by Collins!

Goose bumps listening to the crowd before PSLs had ever been heard of by anyone.

•  TroyThorne says:

My thought process watching this that proves it was well before my time:

Is that a Giants crowd making all that noise?

My goodness, that hold LT had on the tackle is sure to draw a flag!

Elway got tossed to the ground, I’m sure they’ll turn that into a roughing the passer call somehow.

Unsportsmanlike conduct for team celebration incoming.

Add Terrell Suggs cap number to list of Ravens’ concerns

Perhaps the biggest challenge arising from a guy who’ll be going nowhere comes from the contract of linebacker Terrell Suggs. Per a source with knowledge of the situation, Suggs’ cap number for 2013 is a whopping $13.02 million.

And so the Ravens would be wise to reduce Suggs’ cap number. The problem is that more than $6.6 million of it comes from past bonuses. With only two seasons remaining on his contract, not much of a benefit would be gained from a so-called “simple” restructuring, where the salary is reduced to the veteran minimum and the balance becomes a guaranteed payment.

The end result could be/should be a new contract for Suggs, which would give him a large pile of money now and extend his contract — and push the cap charges — into future years, presumably years in which the salary cap will increase due to the new TV contracts.

I posted this because we have similar cap concerns with many players. While many say restructure contracts like Webster and Canty it’s not always so simple because of the past bonus money paid to the player. Then the only way to give relief is to extend the contract but is that something we want to do with a player that already has questions? From what has been posted here it’s difficult to say for sure what the cap ramification are for cutting players like Webster or Canty. But restructuring also has it’s issues so it’s possible that one or both players may not be restructured because we don’t want future cap hell even if the players are overpaid for 2013.

•  Eric S says:

I think the difference between Webster and Canty/Suggs is that Webster and Boley/Diehl for that matter are in the final years of their deals. Much easier to cut ties in the final year than with guys who have 2 or more years left on a deal.

•  LUZZ says:

Once in a lifetime player. An overused term that absolutely applies to LT.

Those were the days when your blood really stirred at the games. I would give plenty to be able to see those kinds of defenses again. Unfortunately, LTs come along once in a generation, if that. JPP may become great. But he won’t equal what Taylor was. No one will.