New York Giants Cut Linebacker Michael Boley

February 5th, 2013 at 5:05 PM

The New York Giants' offseason officially kicked off with a bang on Tuesday as the team released linebacker Michael Boley.

The move, which was first reported by USA Today's Mike Garafolo, saves the Giants a large number against the projected 2013 salary cap, as Boley was due to earn a base salary of $4.25 million, plus a $250,000 workout bonus and a prorated signing bonus of $1.4 million this season. In total, it would save the team $3.1 million, leaving them only an estimated $1.4 million over the cap.

“Michael came in and learned our defense quickly and he added speed, coupled with big play ability, to our defensive unit,” general manager Jerry Reese said. “He also played an important role in helping us win Super Bowl XLVI. I wish him well as he moves forward in his career.”

Head coach Tom Coughlin also offered his praise for Boley, and all that he has meant to the Giants since 2009.

Michael Boley was brought here as a fast, athletic, versatile linebacker,” coach Tom Coughlin said. “We recognized his special skills were in coverage. He’s a smart player who made some big plays for us. He was an integral part of our Super Bowl XLVI championship team. Michael played outstanding football down the stretch for us that season.”

In 57 career games with the Giants, Boley collected 315 tackles, 3.5 sacks, three interceptions, 15 passes defensed, two forced fumbles and five fumble recoveries

Photo Credit: Mike Gannon

Tags: Football, Jerry Reese, Michael Boley, New York, New York Giants, NFL, Tom Coughlin

47 Responses to “New York Giants Cut Linebacker Michael Boley”

1 2 3
  1.  Samardzija says:

Im guessing this is only the first in a series of moves we are about to make…

2.  shmitty013 says:

Ok all 3 of my posts just deleted. I’m guessing when Dan updated the article, but I expected this move when they started phasing Boley out the last couple weeks of the season. Have a suitable replacement in Williams and I’m on the same page as Krow when he stated that you can’t be paying your average or slightly above average players legit money at the cost of not being able to pay your superstars. This is where you kill your cap space. My other 2 posts were Pat Traina’s cap numbers, but Dan included them in the article.

Eric I saw your post from last thread and you make many valid points. Maybe I have been trying to find a comparison that just doesn’t work for our situation with Nicks and Cruz. When you have 2 top WRs emerge normally both are not in need of a new contract at the same time.

You gave the pats as an example as a team the locked up it’s young star TEs and that’s true. I think it’s a bad formula. Maybe you lock up one young star skill player like they did is good but not 2. I just don’t think WR/TEs are in the same class of value as DEs when you have an elite QB. I also think Welker while very productive was overpaid at 9.5 mil this year. I don’t you pay a WR like him that kind of money IMO.

If we got Nicks and Cruz for discount deals long term that would be great. But it seems that Cruz isn’t thinking discount. And I don’t think you get much of a discount with Nicks, a #1 WR in his prime even with his injuries. I don’t think we should allocate so much money to skill players whose production can be hampered playing late season games in the northeast. If we had built a dome then keeping both would make more sense to me.

Overpaying mid level players is a year to year view. in 2011 Webster, Boley and Canty weren’t mid level players at all. in 2012 they clearly were and now are overpaid. I think the key is giving contracts that are not heavy in bonuses and guarantees so you can cut ties with players when you need to.

My point isn’t that keeping Nicks and Cruz can’t be successful for us winning, but I just don’t think best way if it’s going to cost the type of money (15 mil plus) it appears. I don’t want to have our team look like the Arz team or the Indy team. I rather it be like our SB teams or even this years Bmore team. An all around balanced team, able to to be good in all facets of the game. I think Eli’s strength is more being a clutch player than relying on him to win shootouts, even though he’s capable of winning those as well.

I think our starting LBs might have 3 new players next year. 2 new starting LBs now seems to be almost guaranteed. I think Paysinger and/or Williams should be able to replace Boley with no drop off from his 2012 level so cutting Boley makes a lot of sense to me. Still Boley was a good signing that served his purpose, just now was the time to part ways.

5.  Barbarossa says:

…and when word came down from the front office there was a rejoicing among the people. But Justin Tuck was struck with a great melancholy and spake to Michael Boley thusly, “Go forth brother into this cold uncaring world and expect no help, for we are all strangers in a strange land.”

Giants chapter 4 verse 16

I think this was one we could all see coming. The tough calls are yet to come.

Reese didn’t draft Williams and Paysinger so they could sit, or just play special teams. Together they will be able to make up for Boley’s absence. I still think one or the other could prove “special”. Many may think that about Williams, but what I see in Paysinger is that intangible “he makes plays” element that is critical for linebackers.

The really interesting question for me is whether the team plans on giving Herzlich the first shot at MIKE or SAM. I have to think it will be one or the other. He has to win the job, but I think he’ll be given every opportunity to do so.

•  nick86 says:

Boley was a good pick up and played well while he was hear, but cant say im upset about this cut. Hopefully the first of many Content veterans to get the ax or get rescructured.

I like Williams, would like to see him stay healthy. He’d be my bet to take over. I havent seen anything out of PAysinger that leads me to believe that he’d ever be a good starter, let alone something special. dude looks like a career special teamer/back up.

•  shmitty013 says:

One caveat: Paysinger was an UDFA, wasn’t drafted.

7.  jfunk says:

Good move.

Thanks to Boley. It was time to part ways but he had a good run and was worth every penny while he was here.

8.  rlhjr says:

Hold on to your butts. Much more to come. Boley was perhaps the only side line to sideline backer on the team. His departing signals an influx of hopefuls to man each of the positions. Rivers is most likely gone due to his being injury prone. No since in having him ride bicycle all season.

Williams may stick at WIL not too sure about Paysinger. Perhaps Fewell will play a five safety defense this season…………………

Let the (on the fly) rebuild begin. In the words of Bart Scott “CAN’T WAIT”

9.  rlhjr says:

Me thinks Reese is going to draft at least one linebacker. Cant get them all at once Jerry. You have two years. Now can we see a O-line move?

10.  kujo says:

I’m just glad something noteworthy happened to put an end to this week-long Cruz/Nicks debate.

1 2 3