February 2nd, 2013 at 2:50 PM

From the start of the season, it was clear New York Giants running back Ahmad Bradshaw was hobbled. As it turns out, that stemmed from a decision following the 2011 season to delay surgery on his right foot; instead, going the route of stem cell treatment. However, that surgery was delayed no longer following the conclusion of the 2012 season, and Bradshaw revealed on Saturday that he underwent a successful procedure to remove and replace a screw in his right foot.

"What I should have done instead of getting the stem cell [treatment] last year was get the old screw out and put a new screw in, just like I did [two weeks ago]," Bradshaw said. "This is very-well needed. The doc said everything went well after the fact. It is something that I should have gotten last year."

Bradshaw added that the stem cell treatment wore off early in the season, but he "fought through" two fractures. The newly inserted screw stabilizes both.

As far as his contract goes, Bradshaw acknowledged that he would like to return to the Giants, but understands this is a business and the team may be cash strapped.

“I can’t say it’s a concern, but there’s always a chance of me not being back next year,” Bradshaw said. “With David there, Andre, now they may have what they’re looking for and they may be light on cash. I haven’t heard anything and they haven’t said anything, which is a good sign. I hope to be a Giant no matter what, but you never know what happens in this business.”

Should Bradshaw return in 2013, he will be healed and ready by the start of training camp.

Tags: Ahmad Bradshaw, Football, New York, New York Giants, NFL

17 Responses to “New York Giants’ Ahmad Bradshaw Undergoes Surgery to Replace Screw in Right Foot”

Would be great to have him back. Doubt we can afford it.

Just my opinion, but if I’m Reese I’m focused on Beatty first (gotta have him), Phillips second (makes the defense SO much better, provided he’s healthy), Bennett third (adds stability at TE, is a two-way guy, and makes the possibility of losing Cruz much less scary), Boothe fourth (cannot win the big one without a solid O-line, and at worst he is a super-sub who has proved he can hold down the job as needed), Brown fifth (looks like the perfect complement to Wilson and ready to have 2-3 “big” years himself), Stevie Brown sixth (need those turnovers) and only then would get to the others.

At the same time I’m beating the drum for restructuring with Webster, Canty, and Bradshaw.

I’m not worrying much about Diehl, Tynes or Blackburn. They’ll be there if I want them. I’m not talking to Tuck. I don’t want to restructure and extend him. Until I see what he has left this season I am not making commitments to him.

Then there’s Cruz. I’m waiting him out. My plan is to tender him if necessary, and I’m not offering him a big contract. I wouldn’t mind getting a #1 pick in exchange for losing him. That’s good business. It cost me very little to take him off the street, I have a good slot receiver behind him (I didn’t take Jernigan in the 2nd round without knowing our guys really like him, and I saw signs of real progress in 2012), and if I get a #1 pick in exchange that’s a terrific situation.

I’m cooler about all of this than the fans. But that Beatty, he worries me. He has the leverage, I don’t. Don’t like that at all.

Jernigan may be a fine slot receiver … but right now we have no idea. He could explode on the scene next year … or do nothing. But given that his two year production is … 3 catches for 22 yards … it’s hard to be very optimistic.

•  GmenMania says:

+1. Also, he was drafted in the third round, not the second round.

oops, my mistake on the round.

I’m just trying to channel Jerry Reese in that post. I’ll bet dollars to donuts that he believes Jernigan can do just fine in the slot if called upon. Even a third round pick on a kid from Troy means that the scouting group was VERY high on him.

For myself, we haven’t seen enough to know, but I saw some flashes in two places. The first was the preseason when he was a rookie when he made two pretty impressive plays, taking balls away from defenders who were in excellent position. The second was a few of those KO returns this past season when he looked pretty close to breaking one thanks to his speed and quickness. A combo of good hands, speed and quickness, and a nose for the ball bodes well for a potential slot receiver.

I don’t think Jernigan will be as good as Cruz (I think he’s the best slot receiver in the NFL), but the secret is he doesn’t HAVE to be that good, just “good enough” when Nicks, Randle, hopefully Bennett, Wilson, Brown, and Robinson are the other available targets for Eli.

In the end, and this is absolutely no knock on Victor Cruz, whom I love and appreciate for what he is, I’ll happily take a #1 pick + Jernigan + keeping Phillips over Victor Cruz. So if I was Reese I am absolutely NOT going to pay him on a rich contract now. I’d wait a year to see what my options were and make him play this year for the $2.3MM if no one took him and gave me the #1 pick I secretly hoped to get.

Bradshaw has been a trooper for his entire time here. If he goes … and I don’t think he will … then it’s strictly over cap dollars. But you have to question the wisdom of parting ways with AB over money when there are so many other offenders who are far worse.

3.  GmenMania says:

@FF55 I have no problem with your post on the previous thread about William James. It was a political thread, and I though that your post was very good. I only took objection to BigBlueGiant feeling the need to repost part of it on what was certainly not a political thread. Of course politics is everywhere, and you can’t avoid it. I have no problem with running into the occasional political comments on this blog. I just think sometimes it gets excessive, and that’s when it gets annoying.

Okay, as long as we don’t have any more “Hanging Chads” who think they’re the designated thought police.

I happen to despise talk about fantasy football, which has for me as much to do with the Giants as does the likelihood of Congress passing a federal Freedom of Marriage Act. But I don’t tell people that it shouldn’t be discussed or that it’s “inappropriate” or that “there are other sites for that”. I just move on. The occasional politically-tinged comments on this site are generally pretty topical, and easy to skip. I don’t think they warrant opprobrium unless it gets carried too far. When they do, Dan, quite appropriately, makes note of that and puts an end to it. Seems like a perfectly fine approach that doesn’t require the rest of us acting as “judges of what can be said at Giants 101″.

The false outrage that someone like Chad expresses is simply ludicrous. You needn’t follow down that ridiculous path. I’m not saying you have, but it’s easy to go there without realizing it.

•  GmenMania says:

I get where you’re coming from, and you needn’t worry about me following him down that path. I normally hate to be someone to point things out like that, but I just felt that one comment was excessive.

4.  Nosh.0 says:

Someone will need to explain to me how paying Phillips and Nicks big money and letting Cruz walk makes sense.

Because Phillips and Nicks both have durability issues. There’s simply no way around that fact. And I don’t care how good a player you are, you’re worthless to the team when you can’t play.

Nicks of course is better than Cruz in that he, to steal a phrase from Adrian Wilson, has the best catch radius in football. What that means is that even when a guy is draped all over him, Eli can put it in his area code and he’ll come down with it.

But letting Cruz walk for a first rounder in order to pay 2 guys big money, 2 guys that can’t stay on the field for a full season is BAD BUSINESS.

I’m not buying the “Hey we got Vic off the street, and now we can get a first round pick for him” so it’s a good deal. Thats bogus. Players values change all the time and regardless where Cruz came from, his value today is far more than a first rounder.

It’s clear that Americas mental health issue has gotten out of control. When Phillips, and Marty B are priorities over Cruz we know we’ve reached a tipping point.

Thankfully JR is running the show and not this site, so Cruz will most def be a Giant until at least his 30th birthday. And 55 can keep pretending that the only thing he’s ever gotten wrong is Gerris Wilkinson.

Are you implying that it isn’t just Ahmad Bradshaw that has a screw loose?

Letting Cruz walk for a first rounder would be fortunate. I doubt a team will give up a first rounder and pay Cruz. But if that happens, it’s not to sign someone else in particular is mearly not to overpay for Cruz.

Nicks, KP and Bradshaw are all injury concerns but I believe they are not all the same:

Nicks has been banged up his first 4 years but nothing that seems to be chronic. While being banged up Nicks has still played 55 or 64 career games. Cruz still should have missed a month or so with the injury he went on IR for so while he doesn’t have injury concerns he hasn’t been without them either.

Bradshaw has chronic feet and lower leg inuries. It’s just a matter of time before he just won’t be able to play. He seems to have a surgey every offseason on his feet, no good for a RB.

KP had the most serious injury of the 3 but he seems to have regained close to 100% of his athleticism. The question is are the minor knee injuries the past 2 seasona a result of the original knee injury or their own seperate injuries. Even if he gets a clean bill of health I think much like Cruz, he could just be too expensive for us to keep. And that’s even if he wants to stay.

F55 – pretty much agree with you Reese voice however I don’t think he’s as concerned with KP and Beatty as you stated. I believe KP is very similar to Cruz, very good player who we would like to keep but there’s a price ceiling that he’s not going over. I agree JR believes in Jernigan more than most here so losing Cruz isn’t as crushing as some might think in JR’s view. In additio, losing KP isn’t crushing because we have Hill and Brown (very likely back). I do think we will over KP but he will receive our best offer off the bat with a limited amount of time to accept like James Harden had. We can’t afford to have things drag out with KP one way or the other because many decisions hinge on the money we give or don’t give to KP.

Beatty is our most important free agent and does have leverage that others don’t have. But as I research free agent LTs more and the draft LT options both are much deeper than a normal year. I think signing a mid-tier free agent to play LT and drafting a OT that starts out at RT then moves to LT in few years is definitely possible. I believe we want Beatty back but like Cruz and KP the money could be too much. I think the OT draft really got deeper when David Bakhtiai (Col), Chris Faulk (LSU) and Menelik Watson (FSU) declared for the draft. I think a guy like Faulk could really be a buy low pick in the 2nd or 3rd round that has a high upside.

Bradshaw has my ultimate respect as a fan, I think he’s in the Bavaro class of toughness. But that type of player can only be productive for only so long. Given the young players who seem ready before more touches and our cap situation it seems now is the right time with Bradshaw. Parting ways with a player that embodies what you want in a football player is tough, but JR is cold hearted enough that he would make that difficult decision.

6.  Nosh.0 says:

Last thing on Cruz because it’s a silly argument, the guy will be locked up at some point.

So the argument against paying Cruz seems to be this:

Instead of paying Cruz big money we can sign 2-3 really good FA or 2-3 of our own really good guys and replace Cruz with a serviceable slot guy. This is a wonderful argument, in theory. The problem of course is finding the actual pieces to complete the argument.

Who are these 2-3 mystery FA’s, or FA’s to be that we can get with the money saved by letting Cruz go? Phillips and Marty B? We’re gonna pay KP and Marty B over Cruz? People really think that’s better for the team?

No, no of course not. Instead we will sign the top FA corner and OT in FA and they will earn as much as Cruz would have. Umm who are these guys? And how much will they actually cost?

“No we will keep JPP, Beatty, and Nicks. Because those guys 3 salaries combined will eqaul what Cruz wants for himself!” No, that’s wrong too.

Look I’m all ears for 2-3 good starters we can get with money saved from Cruz. But no one has thrown out any names yet worthy of letting #80 walk.

And Beatty, JPP, and Nicks? Well Cruz getting paid won’t stop us from keeping them. We were able to pay Osi, Tuck, Rolle, Canty, Boley, McKenzie, Webster, Snee, Bradshaw and Jacobs last year. So this idea that only one player can be paid well is incorrect.

When we have a roster like San Fran, loaded with young pro bowlers on both sides of the ball you can cry that we don’t have enough money for Cruz. With our current roster, that argument holds little weight. The money to sign, Nicks, Beatty and JPP can be freed up from guys past their primes on this roster. Not from #80.

Nosh. Winning.

Your making it more complex than it is. Cruz only has a certain value that JR will calculate and he’s not paying him more than that because that not what he does. Cruz is here for 2013 with a tender offer or we get a first round pick so there is no reason for JR to give in to anything beyond what he deems at fair value.

I think the most important think to keep in mind about JR is that he’s not overpaying to keep any of his own players. He hasn’t thus far so I don’t see any reason to believe that he will change. Now that doesn’t mean he will be cheap with everyone but he isn’t going to pay someone above what he deems as fair value.

Pro Football Hall of Fame Class of 2013: Larry Allen, Cris Carter, Jonathan Ogden, Bill Parcells and Warren Sapp and seniors picks Curley Culp and Dave Robinson.

9.  giantsou812 says:

Would like to see everyone resigned, The injured and older guys restructure their contracts and accept a backup position.
    Inject some fresh blood by the draft and free agency.
    We dont need to find alot of new people.
    31st defense is bad but we had one healthy DT and two corners hurt last season.