February 2nd, 2013 at 12:30 PM

As John Harbaugh's Baltimore Ravens prepare to take on Jim Harbaugh's San Francisco 49ers in Super Bowl XLVII, New York Giants quarterback Eli Manning can't help but ponder how incredible it would be to play his brother, Peyton Manning, in a Super Bowl. He's faced him a number of times in the regular season -and never won- but would love the opportunity on a grander stage.

"It would obviously be very special," Eli Manning said on Friday, while promoting Gatorade and the sports drink company's new Fuel Bar. "And the fact that if you have a year where the Giants and the Broncos were the two best teams of that year would be neat, and I think it would be special if it happened."

The only thing that would make that dream matchup more intense would be to play it at MetLife Stadium during Super Bowl XLVIII, Manning says.

"I think each year it’s about playing in the Super Bowl, it’s not more important because of the location," Manning said. "Obviously next year it’s going to be in New York. You’re going to love to play in it, it will be very special, but I guess it’s bigger than the location."

It's certainly a long-shot, but not an impossibility. Despite the Denver Broncos' untimely exit from the playoffs this year, and the Giants missing them all together, both teams are built to win now and should be competitive again next season. And while a large number of chips would have to fall perfectly into place, the possibility is realistic enough to enjoy some speculation and back-and-forth.

As exciting as the game would be, Eli says he'd feel bad for his parents. It would be a rough experience for them watching the two battle it out, and even tougher after Peyton goes down.

“I think with my parents it would probably be the hardest. I think they would be the proudest parents for those two weeks leading up to the Super Bowl, but that Sunday during the game, watching the game, would be tough on them. And afterwards it would be tough to be so happy for one of their kids for winning a championship and feeling bad about the other one who just lost," Manning said, adding with a smile "I wouldn’t want them to feel that bad about Peyton in that situation."

The Broncos and Giants are, at the very least, slated to play each other next season. Perhaps it will be a preview of a much larger, and much more important spectacle to take place in early February from East Rutherford, New Jersey.

Tags: Eli Manning, Football, MetLife Stadium, New York, New York Giants, NFL, Peyton Manning

12 Responses to “Eli Manning: New York Giants/Denver Broncos Super Bowl at MetLife Stadium Would Be Special”

1.  GmenMania says:

That Super Bowl would be AWESOME.

2.  Dirt says:

I agree, it would be awesome, because Eli would destroy Peyton “I can’t win when it’s cold outside” Manning. Too bad Peyton went to Denver instead of Arizona and thus will never get that far.

•  GmenMania says:

Peyton might be out of the league now if he went to Arizona. They have, bar none, the WORST offensive line I have ever seen. They couldn’t block me, and I weigh barely half of most DEs.

This year would have been the perfect one, with both of them bunking in their old house in the Garden District. But next February would be awfully nice too.

By the way, for all the hysteria about the weather next February, it looks like tomorrow would be perfectly fine conditions in which to play a football game. Perhaps a very light sprinkling of snow, temperatures hovering in the low-30′s. That would be a PERFECT showcase for the way football was supposed to be played.

Have I said before how much I hate indoor football? Give me a freezing day, or a muddy track, or guts of wind anytime over these controlled environments. I’m not sure who said it, but I agree with whomever said that having the Super Bowl outside would be great because it would give an advantage to teams that could play well in those conditions and at least make those dome teams think about that as they construct their rosters.

Now, having said that, the Giants have won two titles of late in domes, so I cannot bring myself to suggest those fields of play are bogus. But we played another outdoor team in both of those games so neither had an advantage. I think using an outdoor venue every other year would be a great idea. Sure, at some point the game would be very tough because conditions would be terrible. So what? Until recently MANY of the Super Bowls were big yawns. Ridiculous conditions might **** things up.

And if we DO have the Manning Bowl next February and we don’t have a winter thaw, you’d have to think our Manning would have a big advantage over “their” Manning since Peyton doesn’t do well in serious cold. So I’m loving the idea of the Manning Bowl.

4.  BigBlueGiant says:

Repost from FF55:

“I happen to think our tax laws are ridiculous and should be replaced by a three-level flat tax that cannot be escaped but also never takes more than a reasonable share of anyone’s earnings. But I don’t get to decide that and I have NO sympathy for tax cheaters or those who think it’s okay because “the rich are cheating us all”. That way lies collapse of the society.”

I couldn’t agree more on your post. And this is couldn’t be more true.

•  GmenMania says:

Seriously? Why the need to bring up politics? This is a football blog, last I checked.

•  BigBlueGiant says:

his whole post was really good, in all honesty. Go back and read it. Maybe we will all learn something.

5.  BigBlueGiant says:

Pulling for The Ravens. Would really like to see an Old acquaintance from college get his first SB ring to add to his resume in his long HOF career.

Enjoy the game tomorrow fellas, be safe, smart and please don’t drink and drive!!!!

Don’t drink and drive? Is that a political statement? We don’t want any of THAT around here!!

C’mon guys (and girls). Just a little bit of humor and tolerance would go a long way. Does anyone realize that many of the issues that surround the NFL, and the Giants in particular, are political? Are all of you so naive as to not understand why there wasn’t enough money to incorporate a sliding roof on the new stadium (think huge extra construction costs for the base stadium since so many politicians, union members, mafioso, and interest groups had to be paid off out of the funding, and the fear that New Jersey taxpayers would figure out why their taxes had to go up in order to pay for the new access and egress to the stadium, where even more dollars could be sent to the “necessary recipients” because this time it came from the public trough)? Do you have any clue about the politics that prevented the Jets from building on the West Side of Manhattan? Ever wonder where the dollars came from that allowed the “neighbors” to wage a successful campaign to prevent that and in so doing cost the Giants their own new Giants Stadium? (You might want to take a look at who has benefited from all of that rail yard land opening up for future development).

Politics is everywhere. Deal with it. And for anyone who objected to my post about a tax thief who should go to jail and the immaturity of suggesting he shouldn’t be punished because “wha, wha, the rich get away with not paying their fair share so why should anyone be punished for tax crimes?”, please spare me from your “no politics” comments. The thread was political. Some earlier comments were political. The ISSUE is political. Get over it. I, too, come here to discuss the Giants, but if sometimes that runs into a political issue the world does not come to an end. Grow up.

6.  GmenMania says: