February 1st, 2013 at 4:32 PM
By Kyle Langan

Earlier this week, Baltimore Ravens linebacker Ray Lewis was accused of consuming an illegal substance derived from the velvet of deer antlers in order to help him recover from a torn triceps.

'Steve Weatherford of the New York Giants' photo (c) 2012, Marianne O'Leary - license: http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.0/

The company that manufactures the deer antler spray is called S.W.A.T.S. and it also produces a number of other products designed to help athletes enhance performance. The company pitch is that athletes can consume or use its products and gain an edge without using steroids (though some of their substances fall on the NFL's banned substance list).

The CEO of the suddenly controversial S.W.A.T.S. is a man named Mitch Ross. And apparently Ross does something better than produce supplements: he name drops.

Albert Breer of NFL Network reported on Friday night that Ross allegedly sent one of his products (a reflective patch for recovery) to New York Giants punter Steve Weatherford

Through Ebenezer Samuel of the New York Daily News, Weatherford has denied every having any contact with Mitch Ross.

"I've never met this guy in my life. Claims are totally unsubstantiated. I've never taken anything illegal," Weatherford said.

James Ihedigbo, now with the Ravens, was another name Ross mentioned in connection with his products last season.

Weatherford has been nothing but a model citizen since joining the Giants and it is a shame to see him have to defend an otherwise clean reputation for no other reason than to deflect the accusations of an attention hungry CEO.

Tags: Baltimore Ravens, Football, New York, New York Giants, NFL, Ray Lewis, Steve Weatherford

32 Responses to “New York Giants’ Steve Weatheford is the Latest Target of S.W.A.T.S. Owner Mitch Ross”

1.  jfunk says:

I haven’t seen the actual text. Did Ross say that Weatherford used his product or just say “I sent it to him”. I bet a lot of people send mail to NFL players…I bet they read very little of it.

Nosh…I don’t think you’re going to find a single person on here that wouldn’t be tickled if the Giants announce they’ve signed Cruz to a 5 year 30M contract tomorrow. We’re all simply operating under the assumption that Cruz would never so much as entertain the thought of reading such a contract, let alone signing it.

We all want Cruz back. Cruz wants to be paid like a top 5 WR. Top 5 WRs make a lot more money than that.

The Giants are over the cap. Yes, they will get under by cutting/re-negotiating with a lot of the guys you mentioned. But those guys need to be replaced too. They’re not going to be replaced entirely with 400K rookies. Beatty is also going to be expensive and must be signed. Then you have Nicks and JPP right around the corner as other big contracts that need to be figured out.

It’s all about the money, not whether or not he’s a good player or a good guy.

2. Cruz will resign here. Absolute wort case scenario we tender him and match all offers. It’s a way to let the market dictate what he is worth. Low blow, but it is what it is.

•  Nosh.0 says:

That’s basically been my point the entire time. Cruz is not going anywhere. He’ll get signed one way or another, either this offseason or next.

If Cruz doesn’t get signed this offseason the likelihood of him re-signing drops drastically with Nicks and Joseph free agents after 2013.

I don’t think anyone signs Cruz if we 1st round tender him, much like Wallace last year. A first round pick and money is a lot to give up. Brandon Marshall only got two 3rd rounders. Teams don’t want to give up draft picks with rookies costing less than they use to. It’s very unlikely Cruz is not in blue next year but beyond that his future is real up in the air.

3.  Nosh.0 says:

I can’t imagine 6/42 wouldn’t get it done. At 26 years old he’s worth that. And I don’t think it would hinder the teams ability to sign JPP, Nicks, Beatty and Prince long term.

If him and his agent are seriously asking for 9 mill a year than its either a negotiating ploy or they’ve never heard of the term leverage. ie risking Cruz playing next year for 500k without a long term deal in place.

Anyway I trust Reese. My big issue was the fact that many on this site seem to undervalue how good of a player Cruz is. And his talent and value in comparison to Nicks is a lot closer than anyone has acknowledged.

2 months ago I thought it was closer. The last half of the year cleared shows me how much more valuable Nicks was than Cruz. You can be a very good player but that doesn’t always equate to value and I think that’s the case with Nicks.

Cruz is probably worth something in that range. But can we afford to give him that and sign Nicks to a long term deal? I don’t know.

Cruz has said to be asking for 8-10 mil. I don’t think negotiations are at a stall over 500k. To me Mara making public comments over a contract mean something because that isn’t our style. I get the feeling that these negotiations are far more difficult than the front office expected.

4.  Nosh.0 says:

Here’s what I’m really curious about, and it was really what led to me going on this pro Cruz rant calling him the most under rated under appreciated Giant.

If Nicks was making the same contract demands, would people feel the same way about paying him 7 mill a year? Or if Nicks wanted 8-9 a year, would there be a debate about keeping him for that money?

The over riding sentiment I’ve gotten from people on this site since July is that Nicks is the golden boy, can do no wrong, and his flaws (health), are completely over looked. That he is vastly superior to Cruz and people would not have a problem paying him 9 mill a season.

Now I think #88 is a monster and one of my favorite players. I don’t think he’s a HOF like 55 does, but he is a great WR, and our offense is certainly at a higher level with him on the field. But it seems he gets a pass from people far more than Cruz does. That’s why I mentioned the salsa/commercials/ and book tour.

Ultimately if he signs it will be about money. And Reese will make the final call on what he is worth to the team. But I’m curious as to what fans think. Because the feeling I get around here is that if Cruz leaves the reaction will be “He wasn’t worth it, he’s replaceable”, yet if Nicks leaves I imagine the reaction would be outrage.

It will take a double shot of a$$holeishness for Cruz to leave. The Giants and Cruz both have to botch this up. Because it’s in neither’s best interest to play anywhere but NYC.

He’s going to get an RFA tender … and negotiations will drag on. His dirtbag … I mean his agent … will desperately look for a team to offer a contract so he can establish a baseline worth. If that happens we’ll match and that will be that. If not then he’ll eventually sign for something near what Descumbucket Jaskson got … because that’s the going price.

Deal with it.

Desean Jackson … slot receiver … is in the second year of a 5-year-$47,000,000 deal.

Or an average of $9.4 mil a year.

No one should give a rat’s **** what this clown Ross has to say. He’s just trying to promote his company. The media should ignore him, including Giants 101. Gosh, it’s easy to get free publicity these days. Just feed the media maw and you’re golden. What a joke.

Somewhere in America … right now … a person with limited intelligence … is spraying deer antler extract under his tongue. That person probably plays for the Jets.

Deer antler is my fav kettle chip flavor by the way.

Cruz will play for the Giants in 2013. But he will not be here in 2014 unless things change.

No one thinks he’s anything but a good guy and a terrific player. But you should look at what I wrote a few days ago about why there’s no way he’ll get the contract he wants from us.

The Giants will have too many other weapons on offense, and too many needs elsewhere, to be able to justify signing this guy (unless Nicks or Randle is injured and finished). For what Cruz wants, and may get elsewhere, we could get two outstanding guards or a right tackle. For what Cruz wants we could get a game-changer at linebacker. When we’ll have Nicks, Randle, Jernigan (or an alternative who was drafted), probably Bennett (and definitely Robinson), Wilson and Brown, the addition of two strong offensive linemen would be MORE valuable than another target for Eli, no matter how good. With what I just described the Giants’ offense should be nearly unstoppable. Cruz simply does not represent enough marginal value to justify a huge contract.

I won’t even get into a discussion of Nicks v. Cruz. I’m sorry, but anyone who knows football should be able to see which is the better receiver and more valuable. Nicks doesn’t have a severely damaged knee or anything like that. He’ll be healed. Sure he has been nicked up (ha) but that’s because he goes into the middle and makes the tough catches and because he runs with violence after the catch. That doesn’t mean he isn’t durable. We won’t know that for years, but I suspect he will prove to be as healthy as most great wide receivers. Those of you suggesting he’s “not all that” are seriously mistaken. That takes nothing away from Cruz, but it’s NO CONTEST as to which MUST be kept.

Either Cruz gives a nice big discount or 2013 is quite possibly his last year with the Giants (again, unless someone gets hurt).

•  nick86 says:

Hes missed 9 games in four years. has never payed a full 16 game season…He shouldnt have played in half of the games he played in this year… if we still had mario id be willing to bet he wouldve sat out even more. I appreciate tha he played for the good of the team, but he was nonexistent. Thats a durability problem, it has nothing to do with running violently… plenty of players run aggresively and dont miss so much time.

Hes a great player, and i agree that hes a better all around WR than cruz, but Cruz ina shorter sample size has never missed a game since becoming a starter.

I would have a bigger problem with the gmen commiting to a big deal with Nicks. Based soley off the fact that the guy is ALWAYS hurt or nicked up. He’s permanently on the injury report…

Not sure why cruz i getting so much hate. 2 years about 2500 yards, 20 tds 160-170 catches. (off the top of my head) Has outperformed nicks…. numbers dont lie

9.  Nosh.0 says:

So nobody has answered my question yet.

People seem to be O.K. with Cruz leaving if he doesn’t take a discount. Which I don’t agree with but it’s a fair argument.

However what are peoples take on Nicks then? If he doesn’t agree to take a discount would you tell him to walk also? Or would you pay the 8-9 mill going rate on him?

To me you can’t say Cruz either plays for a discount or leaves and then not say the same about Nicks. It doesn’t hold up. Especially with the durability issues he’s had.

- Pulled hamstring before combine
    - Broken foot while running (non contact)
    - Knee issue in 2012

And those are off the top of my head.

But #88 is the golden boy. Cruz is the cocky WR with too many interests outside of football.

10.  Nosh.0 says:

Last point on Cruz for the night.

The kid is 26 and has had 2 great seasons. He is as dynamic as they come. Defining him as a slot WR does not do him justice, as he is a threat to take any catch to the house. He has also shown ability to play outside, make the acrobatic catch, and jump ball. He also has great deep speed.

If the Giants do not re sign him, (and there is a case to be made we shouldn’t) then the motto should be “we don’t pay WR’s” much like the Patriots. “We have Eli and we can have a successful offense without paying big $$$ to a WR.

But to let Cruz walk and pay Nicks is the epitome of an organization that doesn’t know what it is doing. (See the Mets Jose Reyes and David Wright negotiations)

Either you pay Nicks and Cruz or pay neither. Or pay whichever one will take a discount. But to pay one market value and refuse to pay the other market value is a halfway approach that makes little sense. If Cruz is replaceable, then so is Nicks.

•  nick86 says:

agreed. especially when injuries/durability are included in the discussion.

•  nick86 says:

and in the case of the mets they let the INJURY PRONE, more talented (IMO) player walk…

•  jfunk says:

The problem is you can’t pay both of them market value. They will both demand top WR money. If you have to choose, Nicks is the man. The only way to get both is if one or both take less than market value (and this what we all HOPE for).

Several people have responded why already, but you never respond to those posts. You’re mostly arguing against a straw man. Nobody here is “hating” on Cruz.

Top tier slot production is not as vital to the functionality of this offense as top tier X production. That is why the choice is Nicks over Cruz IF a choice must be made. Having both is what everybody wants. And this is assuming the medical staff signs off on Nicks long term health – it is a concern but none of his injuries thus far have been of the chronic or debilitating variety.

Why Nicks over Cruz? Nicks is the better player and plays the more important position. That’s the bottom line. Are there more players in the league that are facsimiles of Nicks than Cruz? Yes, but none of them will ever be available because their teams will never let them go. Cruz’s unique skill set don’t automatically make him more valuable than Nicks because the offense as a whole can adjust to or mitigate his absence (note I didn’t say replace…two different things) more easily than they can to the lack of a top tier #1/X receiver.