January 31st, 2013 at 11:00 AM

'Aaron Rodgers, Osi Umenyiora' photo (c) 2012, Mike Morbeck - license: http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/2.0/ For many, it seems like a foregone conclusion that Osi Umenyiora will not return to the New York Giants in 2013. Even the defensive end has previously stated "now is probably time to move on." But while appearing at an event in New Orleans to promote Super Bowl XLVIII at MetLife Stadium, the impending unrestricted free agent wouldn't rule out a return to Big Blue, saying there's definitely a chance he could be re-signed.

"There's a chance, absolutely," Umenyiora said. "Of course (there) is. Hopefully that'll happen. I prefer to finish out my career there. But there's a lot of things in play here. It's not going to be totally my decision. They're going to have some decisions to make also. It's going to be a collective effort. My agent's going to have his say. Hopefully things will work out there. I prefer to stay there."

The two-time All-Pro said that returning to New York would be a "collective effort" by he and the Giants, but seemed sincere in it being a possibility. Of course, he also needs to drive his price tag up, so eliminating any possible suitor would be a bad business decision.

Late last week, co-owner John Mara was asked if Umenyiora had played his last game in Giants uniform, and he, too, was far non-committal in his answer.

"I don't know about that," Mara said. "We'll see what happens. I would love to have him back. He's been a great player for us. He's a great guy. He's been a huge part of our two Super Bowl wins, but there are economic considerations and we'll just have to see what happens."

On Sunday, and in preparation for free agency, Umenyiora switched agents, once again hiring Tom Condon and Ben Dogra of CAA.

Tags: Football, John Mara, New York, New York Giants, NFL, Osi Umenyiora

18 Responses to “Osi Umenyiora Says There’s Still “Definitely a Chance” He Re-Signs with New York Giants”

Kujo – I disagree with you premise that Teo is better than anyone we have had so he should be drafted theory. Just like past drafts we can’t overlook better players at other positions of need just for an upgrade at MLB. If we draft a MLB in the first round he should have probowl ability not just be above average. If we feel Teo is another player is that type of MLB then I’m all for it. But if not I don’t think a first round investment in a Rey Maualuga type who Teo is starting to remind me of as a football player is not worth it.

•  kujo says:

Again, Rey is ALSO better than any Giants player who has lined up at middle linebacker in 5 years.

Neither guys are perfect, but I simply cannot understand how anyone can look at Te’o and not think of the several different ways that he could improve our F- level middle linebacker production. What effect would it have if he was just slightly above average? When was the last time we had that?

It’s not about being perfect it’s about getting impact players in the first round. A rookie is going to struggle some anyways and really might not be better than what we have had in 2013. But the hope is that he can become much better. Take Wilson for example. He wasn’t the best RB we had since Tiki in 2012 but he can clearly become that going forward. We wouldn’t invest a first round pick in a Bradshaw type of RB and that’s what a player like Rey Maualuga is IMO. Now if you get a Rey Maualuga type in the 3rd or even the 2nd round then that’s different.

You can’t get so concerned about improving LB that you invest badly. There might be no impact LB available in our price range in free agency or our pick at 19 in the first round. I think Goff before he was injured in 2011 looked like he had developed into a slightly above average MLB.

2.  The Original G Man says:

For all we know, they think Herzlich, J Williams, and Paysinger are ready to step in next year and LBs are off the board.

•  kujo says:

Entirely possible. I’m hoping for it. That would be the better, cheaper, option. But I’m not holding my breath.

3.  The Original G Man says:

I’d like to see them bring Rivers back too, by the way. First off, I thought when he played, he played well. Second, with his injury situation, I think he can be had cheap. And finally, with RG III and the Quack Attack comprising 25% of our schedule, speed at LB is going to be very key for us.

•  LUZZ says:

Exactly – LBs and Safeties that can close are going to be very important over the next couple years. Defense needs speed, speed, speed. As fans we all have that player in the draft that we covet. Mine is Ogletree. Of coarse Jarvis Jones would be a dream come true, but baring Jones showing up to the combine smoking a joint with a hooker on each arm, he’ll be a top 10 pick.

If we’re lining up with a Tampa-2 against option teams then we could have All Pros across our LB unit and it won’t make a difference. They’ll be backpedalling while some QB turns the corner.

A friend who used to be in the NFL hierarchy tells me they are in lockdown mode over some of the stuff Marshall Faulk has been saying this week about being cheated out of a Super Bowl ring. Apparently, he has said some stuff that makes it very hard to deny that the Patriots knew what the Rams were going to do on offense. Turns out that Mike Martz had installed at least 7-8 plays that were completely contrary to what the Rams had done all season in certain situations and out of certain formations, and hadn’t even revealed them to the team until a few days before the game, so they couldn’t have been on any game tape. But they DID walk-throughs on each of them a few days before the game. The same walk-throughs that everyone claims WERE NOT taped, which claims cannot be proved lies because Goodell ordered the tapes destroyed.

While Faulk has been insisting the Rams were cheated the security guys for the league have apparently been rechecking to make sure that no one could have made copies of the tapes that were destroyed. Not exactly Watergate, but it sure sounds like the Brady-Belichick record should include, at most, TWO rings plus another with the same asterisk with which Barry Bonds will have to live.

I’ll just say what I’ve always said about this … the Patriots were/are a good, solid, contending football team. But what made them a ’3 time Superbowl winning’ dynasty was the edge they got from cheating.

3 rings by 3 points each … not to mention several close playoff wins to even get to the big game.

There isn’t an asterisk large enough.

I like Brady personally since I’ve had dealings with him and think he’s a very decent young man. But take away those rings and would he really even be in the conversation about all-time great quarterbacks? He has been mediocre in a number of big playoff games. He’s lost the Big One twice to Eli. He has a great statistical rating but much of it made against putrid teams in his division (perhaps the worst in football over the years he’s been playing).

I’m not knocking Brady. As I said, I like him. And it’s hardly his fault if his coach was a cheater. But this all just goes to show how thin the distance is between perceived “greatness” and “yeah, he was very good but he wasn’t/isn’t great”.

•  G-MenFan says:

They’ve BEEN in “lockdown mode” for several years. Why else would the tapes be destroyed??

This is the big black stain on Goodell’s tenure as the steward of the game. He should be ashamed of himself.

The Patriots cheated and won 3 Super Bowls. They were caught and haven’t won since.

We already have plenty of speed in the back seven on defense. This isn’t the old Giants.

Williams, Paysinger, Boley, Rivers, Amukamara, Hosley, Rolle, Hill, Brown, Phillips, Sash……among those who will still be on the roster is plenty of close-out speed. Always good to have even more, but it isn’t speed at the edges that we’re missing on defense. It’s strength up the middle.

Unless we’re looking at a potentially GREAT one, I would be outraged if Reese wasted a first round pick on any linebacker in this draft. Maybe, just maybe, Jenkins (who we will not get near), but otherwise there are none, at least IMO.

On defense we need a corner, a MIKE and defensive tackles WAY ahead of outside LBers. If we resign Rivers I don’t see where we can really significantly upgrade from Rivers, Williams and Paysinger on the outside. I’ve already said that IMO Te’o doesn’t look like close to a sure bet to be better than Herzlich (I think Te’o is overrated and Herzlich judged, perhaps, too quickly as “just ordinary”….let’s see how he does this season first).

•  Begiant says:

What do you think about the Dtackles in this years draft? any of them that you like?

Everyone seems to love Lotulelei but I’ve never seen him play so I have no opinion on him. I like the kids from Alabama and Florida. Not sure about Hankins. He may be a really good one.

I have high hopes, still, for Joseph but he was not good in 2012 at all (I don’t care what the coaches said….they were protecting him, but he stunk), and for Kuhn if he can come back from his injury. The latter is a tough hombre who likes to maul people in the middle. I think he has upside.

I’m not convinced any of the potential draftees are worth the #19 pick. But I’ll trust Reese. I’d go for a corner because I think there are some studs there, but I’m not the decision-maker.

Let’s be totally honest … if Canty’s career is on the downslope who do we have at DT and LB who is not just ‘a guy’? Maybe Boley … ? Who else?

7.  sonnymooks says:

I think the world of Jerry Reese, and love the Giants, but lets face facts, they are not good at drafting and evaluating linebackers.

I shouldn’t say Jerry Reese per say, its more then likely the scouts who aren’t good at it, and you know what, thats not unusual.

Some scouts are good at evaluating DLs and OLs, other guys strengths might be DBs and, other guys WRs, its a little unusual for any scout to excel at evaluating all positions equally well.

The Giants are very good at evaluting DL, but they have a blind spot on LBs, its a weakness, it happens. I do think we need LB help, but we’ve needed it for years, we aren’t good at finding it.

Personally, I’d like to grab a LB in the 3rd round, unless someone is head and shoulders above everyone else at our spot in the 1st or 2nd. Personally, I think we need to get another pass rusher on the line, and get secondary help, which are to me, bigger needs right now then LB. I do think we need OL help too, but we did draft 2 guys last year, and it will take a year (unless we get a superstud) to develop a OL anyway (with the way our system works). I see nothing wrong with getting a project for the line and developing him, and coaching him up, let him learn for a year.

But we need, NEED defensive help, right now, we have given up over 6,000 yards TWICE in the last 2 seasons. We aren’t changing coordinators, we aren’t changing schemes, so we NEED to upgrade the talent, no ifs ands or buts.

Personally, I think getting a LB is very important, and that when we look at them, we also need to consider how physical they are, we need THUMPERs, we need LBs that are strong hard HITTERS.

You want to beat the spread offenses ? You want to stop the pistol ? You worried abour RG3 or Chip Kelly ? The solution, the answer, is the same as its always been………………..HITTING !!! More HARD HITTING, more PHYSICAL play. Look at what happened to the Pats this year, every team that decided to punch them in the mouth and out hit and out physical them, BEAT THEM. Thats your blueprint right there.