January 31st, 2013 at 8:00 AM

'Martellus Bennett 2012 Shankbone' photo (c) 2012, David Shankbone - license: http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.0/ The big story from New Orleans on Wednesday came by way of San Francisco 49ers cornerback Chris Culliver, who shared a controversial view on homosexuals in an NFL locker-room. When asked if gays would be welcomed, an uneasy Culliver said "I don't do the gay guys man. I don't do that."

The comments were immediately addressed by the 49ers, who sent out a press release "rejecting" Culliver's comments

"There is no place for discrimination within our organization at any level. We have and always will proudly support the LGBT community," the press release said in part.

Culliver was quick to apologize for his statement, but not before they spread like wildfire across NFL networks. Players quickly began to react in support of the homosexual community, including New York Giants tight end Martellus Bennett.

"I don't know why guys even say this stuff," Bennett tweeted. "There's definitely at least one or two gay guys on every team. Who cares? If someone can play ball, let em play."

For a long time, homosexuality in an NFL locker-room was considered taboo – as it was in every day life. But as society advances and changes, the homosexual community has been more widely welcomed, and it's beginning to spread to major sports leagues like the NFL. Still, despite most being far more open-minded about it, there has never been an active and openly gay player in NFL history.

The law of odds tells you that Bennett's assessment is accurate, but it's clear that gays in the NFL still fear living openly during their playing days. Perhaps that's the next wall to be broken down, but in the mean time, views like Culliver's are now the exception to the rule as opposed to the rule itself.

Tags: Chris Culliver, Football, Martellus Bennett, New York, New York Giants, NFL, San Francisco, San Francisco 49ers

32 Responses to “New York Giants’ Martellus Bennett: “There’s Definitely One or Two Gay Guys on Every Team””

So … honest question …

Given all the insanity surrounding Manti Te’o … at what point would you drop a draft pick on this guy?

2.  rlhjr says:

OK, here we go again…………Second round.

I think he’s just a naive kid. The Moorman thing could account why he had no need to touch/feel/spoon in order to verify the existence of another human being. Also, the fact that she (having a hard time referring to a construct as “she”) was sick. I don’t think he’s stupid.

Talent wise, he will be above average in the NFL. If for no other reason than the nightmarish amount of teasing/ridicule and general peer abuse and poking of fun that will certainly be leaved upon him from day one of training camp until the day he retires.

I can hear offensive player’s comments now. “Believe this Manti, we’re running a sweep third and 14 and we love you……no sh|+”

This kid will be irate every time he walks on to an NFL field of play. That and some focus is what linebacking is all about.

3.  rlhjr says:

I remember the Dave Kopay days. Ex Redskin, gay………………..

Bennett is right but what he did not say was there is no how in the hell they will ever come out of the closet. Wonder who the two gay Giants are?
    Not that there is anything wrong with that……………………..

Now talk about a nightmare for Dan and a bag of worms for the site…….LMAO

4.  The Original G Man says:

Personally, I have concerns about Te’o's speed. That having been said, if his combine shows he’s got solid NFL MLB speed, and he’s there at #19, we jump on him.

5.  UANYG says:

I remember in 2009, Ray Maualuga was supposedly a first-round pick. At the time, I was hoping the Giants were going to snag one of the three USC linebackers that were supposed to go to round 1.

Sure enough, he was available, and I thought we were finally about to draft a LB. Well, we drafted Nicks, and the next three linebackers off the board were: Laurianitis, Maualuga, and I believe Clint Sintim.

Hopefully the position will get a little more attention, as the Giants will need some more athletes to deal with Washington, Seattle, SF, and Carolina, who are likely to make up between 2 and 4 games a season depending on the year. This is one of the reasons I believe Rivers should be brought back on the cheap.

•  rlhjr says:

You nailed it:

“I don’t think he’s worth out current pick, but if we could trade up into the early 2nd and he’s somehow available, I’d pull the trigger. That’s not to say I think he’s a first RD talent; I believe he is. I just don’t think LB holds the same value to Reese that other positions do.”

I however, chose to often be more blunt. And I piss off those who worship at the alters of Saint Reese and Saint Coughlin from time to time.

So if I were to say the Jerry Reese would’nt know a All Pro linebacker if one made a tackle in the offensive backfield right before his eyes. Some folk on here would take exception to that remark. But I make them anyway.
      Mostly because they are true. And I really don’t give a toss who I piss off.
      Especially when I’m right.

•  jfunk says:

I contend this is merely a matter of circumstance. Since JR has had the final word in 2007, I simply don’t think the right opportunity has presented itself.

I simply agree with each of Jerry’s 1st round picks over the LBs available at the time.

The Giants certainly don’t seem to do a great job at finding great LB talent in the later rounds compared to other positions, but I don’t know if this is due a blind spot for JR or the scouting department in general. However, I simply don’t think he’s passed on any “can’t miss” type early talent in situations where I wouldn’t have done the same.

6.  jfunk says:

I don’t want anything to do with Te’o.

The cirucs:football ratio is simply too high.

7.  Levito says:

Te’o has New York Jets written all over him.

•  rlhjr says:

LMFAO………….OMG another one liner that rivals those Krow is capable of.

Te`o and Sexy Rex’ies Tatoo…………….LOL

Pre-scandal Manti Te’o had been talked about as being taken as high as 5th … others were more cautious and put him in the top half of round one.

For the sake of argument let’s say he would be taken 10th.

Last year that was Stephin Gilmore … contract worth was $12.1 mil over 4 years. Given that the cap is moving slightly up it’s reasonable to assume $12.5 mil for 2013.

That will serve as a basis … depending on Combine results … for determining a ballpark figure of how much this poor guy has lost because of all this.

If we were sitting at 19 before all this ‘fake dead girfriend gay internet’ stuff came out I believe Reese would have hit the podium like he did when JPP fell to us … only waving a Manti Te’o card in his hand.

But that was then … and this is now. Now you have to weigh the impact of the Te’o Circus … like jfunk has already mentioned. But there’s more. This kind of thing can really mess someone up. There’s no guarantee he’s the player he was a month ago.

It’s not fair … I think he’s a country bumpkin who got fooled … then panicked. And as we know, it’s not the deed it’s the coverup that really kills you. But again … 20ish … from Samoa. I can’t imagine what was going through his head. He’s looking at his career going down the pipe just as the BCS championship is playing out … and the NFL is knocking at his door. I’m surprised he didn’t kill himself. No matter how this all unfolds I’m feeling sorry for him.

10.  kujo says:

Re: Te’o.

He’s a first rounder. I don’t think anyone would have actually taken him in the top 10, but that certainly was the general consensus. But this “scandal” hit, and that’s gonna send him out of the top 10 for sure, for some reason that is beyond my comprehension. If I’m Te’o, my next move is to appear on Saturday Night Live, or The Daily Show or Conan or some sort of comedy venue, and to make fun of myself. Change the narrative from “God, how stupid can you be?” to “Well, at least he’s not taking it seriously anymore.” Put a bow on this whole sordid affair and start moving on.

And again, he is better than any linebacker that we’ve had on this team in the last decade. Period. Don’t say “he’s not the answer” unless you specify EXACTLY what “the answer” would be, and lay out a reason why a talent like Te’o wouldn’t vastly improve the output that we’ve received in the last 5 years.

You know … that’s a really good idea. That would sure defuse this mess to a degree. Make a joke out of it.