January 30th, 2013 at 2:30 PM

Hey, whaddya know? There are more members of the San Francisco 49ers talking about the New York Giants. This time it comes by way of offensive tackle Joe Staley, who suggested the 26-3 loss suffered to Big Blue in week six of this season was merely because his team "just wasn't on."

"We just weren't on that game, Staley said. "I think it was a learning experience, it was still early in the season, we were still trying to get an identity as an offense as to who we were. It was a game we kind of put to bed pretty quickly. They could have replaced everybody on offense after that game."

Naturally it had nothing to do with the Giants playing better than the 49ers that day, it was just merely a case of San Francisco being off their game. Right.

Granted, Staley's comments aren't nearly as bad as some of the excuses we've heard from other 49ers players, and yes, this is a partial product of questions they are being asked, but the NFC Champions have spent an awful lot of their first week in New Orleans talking about the Giants. First it was Frank Gore, then Mario Manningham and more recently, Kyle Williams.

At this point, everyone gets it. The 49ers are great. The Giants are lucky. You're going to show them this time. Rah rah. But perhaps, and this is just coming out of left field, the 49ers should pay more attention to the Baltimore Ravens and a little less attention to the New York Giants.

Tags: Football, New York, New York Giants, NFL, San Francisco, San Francisco 49ers

30 Responses to “San Francisco 49ers’ Joe Staley on 26-3 Week 6 Loss to New York Giants: “We Just Weren’t On””

1.  shmitty013 says:

Repost:

I find it pretty easy to root for the Ravens. Both because I hate the Niners and because I’m a HUGE Ray Rice fan. My mom actually taught him in middle school and he was always one of her favorite students. I actually ran into him at that charity event in NYC last year that was held in midtown on 50th and 3rd (my office is across the street). Eli and several other Giants also attended it, along with many other athletes and celebrities. I spoke to him for a couple minutes and he’s the nicest guy. He asked about my mom and how she’s doing. Anyway, I’m definitely rooting for the Ravens.

Well, this one has at least some legitimacy. It would be nice if they also noted that the Giants not only WERE “on” but at that point in the season were very clearly the superior team. It would also be nice, but never to be expected and hardly surprising to be left unsaid, if they started admitting that they were a lot happier to see the Falcons as their NFC opponent two weeks ago rather than those same Giants who kicked them all over the field earlier this season and out-gutted them last January.

But who cares, really? Talk is cheap. And none of us can talk now because the Giants were the ones who “weren’t on” too many times this past season, so they’re not the ones answering incessant media questions right now.

Repost:

Krow –

I think the difference between our Prince and JPP draft picks and now is we have more needs. I don’t think we can afford to draft a DE or WR if they are rated highly because we have too many other needs. To me this first round selection is a BAP pick in area of need.

Look these are same type of comments we could make about the Bengal, Falcon or Raven games. The margin of each of those defeats and the SF game were skewed when looking at the talent levels of the teams involved in those games. It happens sometimes in the NFL. Was Seattle really that much better than SF? No. If better at all. You can’t read too much into one game, good or bad. Other than it shows the capability one teams has when playing well.

5.  The Original G Man says:

Another reason why I’m rooting for the Ravens … I’d like to see Ed Reed get a ring. The guy is arguably the greatest safety of all-time and one of the most under-appreciated stars of my lifetime.

6.  F0XLIN says:

WTF does kettle chips mean?

I literally JUST got it. Look at the ad on top. I’ve never had one but they must be good.

•  Hanshi says:

Thank for the answer on the last thread. I kind of saw you as slightly to the left of center and view myself as slightly to the right of center.

I’ve always refused to accept a political label. I wind up being the outlier in almost every gathering when political discussions occur because a number of my views will be found incredible by one group or another.

Enough about “politics”. The “No Politics” agents may be watching. I don’t want Hanging Chad on my case. He’s very scary when he’s mad.

•  F0XLIN says:

Ha, I guess I’ve learned to ignore advertisements

•  Hanshi says:

Look at the wallpaper

7.  Hanshi says:

I’m not even looking forward to this Super Bowl. The only thing worse would be a Jets/Cowboys or Jets/Eagles Super Bowl. I’m rooting for both teams to beat eachother up so bad that they both have the worst Super Bowl hangover in history. I’d be alright with Ray Lewis getting knocked out of the game on the first snap and having the Ravens go on to win it without him.

Great scenario, especially if it’s on a play by the sideline where Harbaugh gets too close and takes a major ACL tear and then starts screaming at the refs that he was hit out of bounds so wants a flag.

•  LUZZ says:

I know. This is the least interested I have been in a SB in my lifetime. There isn’t even a good angle to wager on in my opinion. The whole thing will become unwatchable once the side stories take over. Ray Lewis, Harbaugh brothers, yuck.

•  playtherookies says:

@luzz. +1000. Dont give a crap about this game. Hate the niners and would rather see ravens win. Was hoping the falcons would be in over the niners.

I’m only watching so I can have an excuse to eat Kettle Chips.

Krow your missing my point. I think it’s a myth JR drafts BPA. I think he drafts BPA at position of need with only JPP being the exception. With Ross and TT becoming free agents Prince was more of a need pick last year than many realized at the time.

I’m saying for our team you pass LT for Champ Bailey. While Champ Bailey isn’t as good of player as LT, he’s still a great player at position of need. While we need more high level players we have some pressing needs that need to be addressed.

So the answer is yes, you wouldn’t take LT. Guess we’re not going to agree on that one.

But there’s one thing we can all agree on … KC !!!

•  kujo says:

You’re asking if he would take a specific player, whose career you definitely know the result of, or some nonspecific “other guy”? Isn’t that sort of a fallacy?

Lay of the kettle chips, bro. Even if they’re the jalepeno flavored ones, which are far superior to the regular or salt and pepper ones.

No. I’m saying is there a point where value trumps need. He’s saying no. Hence no LT … no Superbowls in 1986/7 and 1990/1.

I disagree. And I believe that example proves my point.

•  Hanshi says:

Not fair. JR wan’t the GM when we drafted LT.

•  shmitty013 says:

JR drafts BPA, but need positions are weighted more. So say every player can get a ranking 1 – 100 based on their ability and addition 0 – 10 points based on the team’s need at that player’s position. Now say the Giants are up this year and for the sake of argument, Johnathan Banks and Corradelle Patterson are both on the board. Now based on ability, Patterson grades higher than Banks. Let’s say Banks is an 87 on the team’s board while Patterson is a 91. But Banks plays a position of considerable need, CB, while Patterson is a WR, a much less significant need. So Banks gets an addition 7 points while Patterson only gets 2 points. For the Giants, Banks real grade turns out to be a 94 while Patterson is a 93. The Giants end up drafting Banks. This is just my opinion, but I think it makes the most sense.

10.  shmitty013 says:

Matt Miller ?@nfldraftscout
    #Alabama tackle D.J. Fluker won’t make it past pick No. 20, per a source

Makes sense considering the Bears pick right after us at 20 and they’re OL is atrocious. But there’s probably a couple good OL they can draft there because they pretty much need improvements across the board. So it makes you think that other teams are probably interested in him as well. Something to think about since we’re at pick 19.