New York Giants’ Terrell Thomas Will Begin Running Next Week

January 29th, 2013 at 10:05 AM

As of last week, New York Giants cornerback Terrell Thomas, who is recovering from his third ACL tear, had not yet begun to run. But that's all about to change as Thomas, speaking via his official website, revealed on Monday that his rehab is still on schedule and there are plans to have him begin running as early as next week.

"I just finished my second week of rehab. Everything has been moving progressing smoothly as I begin to add more weight and lunges to my routine," Thomas wrote via his blog. "I will begin running next week. When I began the rehab process I was a little impatient at first because I did not like to be held back in my training. I know that the ultimate goal is to return to the field in 2013; therefore, I am going to listen to the experts, my doctors, who advise me to take my time through the healing process. I plan on working as hard as I can to let my knee build and heal."

Thomas has been dead-set on a return to football since day one, but there's still a question of whether or not he'll return to the Giants. And if he does, will it be at cornerback of safety?

Prior to last season, Thomas signed a four-year, $28.4 million deal. That includes a $6 million option bonus that kicks in in March, and it would not only guarantee Thomas' base salary of $750,000 in 2013, but much of his 2014 salary ($3.8 million total, $2.75 million guaranteed). Obviously, the Giants are likely to decline that option, but it doesn't necessarily mean his Giants career is over.

It's a long road to come back from tearing an ACL three times, but not impossible. Carolina Panthers linebacker Thomas Davis is the most recent NFL athlete to do it, and he recorded 103 tackles in 15 games this past season – his first back from tear #3.

photo credit: MattBritt00 via photopin cc

Tags: Football, New York, New York Giants, NFL, Terrell Thomas

22 Responses to “New York Giants’ Terrell Thomas Will Begin Running Next Week”

Repost:

GOAT56 says:
    January 29, 2013 at 9:54 AM
    I know SB quotes get headlines but many feel the same way as Flacco. Though as NYers or giants fans we might disagree it’s not like what he’s saying is anything new.

I have longed liked Flacco. I have said for several years I would take him over Ryan in a heartbeat. I can’t lie and say that Ryan hasn’t been a better stats QB but much like Eli, Flacco just has something about him that makes him clutch. His demeanor is a lot like Eli as is his personality. But when the game is on the line both are usually at their best. Both QBs have also been downplayed because their defense and running game carried them not their play.

People laugh at Flacco wanting big money but playing in Bmore and other cold weather places what QB what you rather have over the next 5 years than Flacco? Maybe Rodgers or Luck but that’s about and I’m not certain you rather have them for where they play and how they play. Flacco isn’t a pretty QB but he’s has it factor that Eli has. If I was a Bmore fan I wouldn’t want another QB.

jfunk says:
    January 29, 2013 at 10:05 AM
    I’ve watched a few Ravens games over the past couple years and I think Flacco looks like absolute trash at least as often as he looks good, if not more.

If that kid thinks he’s worth Drew Brees money, he’s learning disabled.

kujo says:
    January 29, 2013 at 10:08 AM
    I think some are offended by his choice of words. Not me, obviously–I’ve been up for 90 minutes and have already said at least a half dozen things that are all far more offensive than the word “retard”–but I can understand how others would have a problem with the face of a franchise using a derogatory term like that, in public.

jfunk to have perspective do have any idea how many fans of other team have made similar comments about Eli over the years? The 2 QB are very similar in how they are seen, in some ways by their own fan base. But all they do is win. It’s not by accident either. Flacco isn’t going to play the prettiest of QB but he makes some throws that few QBs can make like the instant classic play vs. Denver.

2.  kujo says:

Also, Andre Brown is done with his rehab and said that he is 100% now. I’m excited for him to have a full offseason with the team as someone that is surely going to be a major contributor next year. You know Coughlin, Gilbride, Eli and Bradshaw will be working with he and Wilson to coach them both up.

3.  F0XLIN says:

Repost

F0XLIN says:
    January 29, 2013 at 10:31 AM
    Did anyone catch the rerun of the Super Bowl last night?

After seeing how explosive Nicks was it’s evident how banged up he really was this year. He was playing at 60% at best this season and his health going forward will be key to getting the offense back to dominant (as mentioned on here before)

I must have said a dozen times that after Eli comes Nicks as the most important part of the offense. It all revolves around those two.

It will, though, help immensely that Randle will be a significant contributor this season. That frees up Cruz, who cannot be covered one-on-one but can be stopped if a defense is geared up to do it with rotation toward him. That happened a lot this season because they knew Nicks was not close to 100% and that the #3 receivers weren’t players they needed to worry about too much. Randle changes that equation.

•  F0XLIN says:

Agreed, Randle will also be key. It was so obvious when Ballard went down they doubled Nicks and Cruz on every play and Eli went to Manningham most of the 4th quarter.

Granted he did fade one route out of bounds and ran the wrong route on a back shoulder through, thankfully he made up for it.

Thankfully, Brown had the kind of injury that should not affect him in the future. He will be a significant presence in 2013. I’ve said for some time that he is potentially a really fine back (I said a few years ago that I thought he could be a poor man’s Rodney Hampton), who is somewhat unique in that he is a power runner who is also a very talented receiver.

If they wind up having to cut Bradshaw they’ll still be okay at running back.

5.  BigBlueGiant says:

Well, call me a pessimist but i feel like the chances of him being even close to the player he once was, very very slim.

But i’m pulling for him.

I’m a optimist but I think everyone agrees that TT becoming 2010 TT ever again is very unlikely. I’m just hoping for a good player that can be a poor man’s Rolle type player, meaning he can play safety but still help at slot CB in some looks.

6.  F0XLIN says:

Watching Bradshaw in the Super Bowl also raised doubts. He got very lucky with 2 fumbles in 2 Super Bowls, did not follow his blocks for sht all game, but does have the heart of a lion. He is good for a tough yard, and pretty much want to see him as our short yardage back at best this year.

I think at worse Andre Brown is a very good backup and finally a solution to our short yardage RB issues. At best he can an effective 1b type of RB and 3rd down RB if he can remain healthy. Now that he showed he can play health will determine his future. The good thing with Brown is that with all of his injuries through college and as a pro he has very little thread of his tires and good be productive for a while if he can stay healthy. He can be very Ward like.

I can’t explain it … but I have this incredible craving for Kettle Chips.

9.  giantsou812 says:

And thats the reason why we need a corner.
    Either the first draft pick or free agency

The TT drama is just beginning to unfold. Soon the Giants are going to void his contract. Probably by cutting him, but possibly with a renegotiation. Then it’s all up to TT. If he takes another ‘prove it’ contract then there’s a small (but not insignificant) chance he’ll make it back in some capacity. If he loses his mind and decides to shop himself around then I think the team will cut ties and that’s the last we’ll see of him.