Baltimore Ravens’ Joe Flacco on New York/New Jersey Super Bowl: “It’s Retarded”

January 29th, 2013 at 8:30 AM

There are quite a few people out there who aren't fans of holding the 2014 Super Bowl at MetLife Stadium, primarily because of the potential for inclement weather. Others look at it like a great equalizer, claiming football is meant to be played in the elements. Baltimore Ravens quarterback Joe Flacco is one of the former, who went as far as calling a New York/New Jersey Super Bowl a "retarded" idea.

'Joe Flacco' photo (c) 2009, Keith Allison - license: http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/2.0/

“I think it’s retarded,” Flacco said on Monday. “I probably shouldn’t say that. I think it’s stupid. If you want a Super Bowl, put a retractable dome on your stadium. Then you can get one. Other than I don’t really like the idea. I don’t think people would react very well to it, or be glad to play anybody in that kind of weather.”

Flacco, who grew up in Audubon, N.J., immediately caught himself and realized he made a mistake in his verbiage. Still, no apology has come from him despite the insensitive nature of his comment.

As long-time readers of this site know, we at Giants 101 feverishly support the Special Olympics and have often fought to end the use of the R-word. And although we don't believe Flacco used the term to offend anyone, it still doesn't negate the overall offensive nature of the term.

As it relates to an outdoor winter Super Bowl, NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell has heard the complaints and mulled over the concerns. He remains confident that a New York/New Jersey Super Bowl will go over well, and even admitted that he likes the idea of the game being played in the elements.

“We made this decision obviously not knowing what the weather would be, but football is made to be played in the elements,” Goodell said in New York last week. “We’re going to celebrate the game here. We’re going to celebrate the weather here. We’re going to make it a great experience.”

Hopefully for Flacco's sake, he won't have to worry about the weather next year. We'd all much rather see a New York Jets vs. New York Giants or Peyton Manning vs. Eli Manning Super Bowl anyway.

Tags: Baltimore, Baltimore Ravens, Football, Joe Flacco, MetLife Stadium, New Jersey, New York, New York Giants, New York Jets, NFL, Peyton Manning, Roger Goodell

Short URL:

14 Responses to “Baltimore Ravens’ Joe Flacco on New York/New Jersey Super Bowl: “It’s Retarded””

1.  kujo says:

And Flacco knows a thing or two about something appearing to be retarded…

Flacco is an amazing d’ouche. He’s been pouting over money for a couple years. Now he’s riding high and full of himself. I hope the Ravens lock him up for years with a huge contract. They deserve each other.

3.  kujo says:

The newest rumor is that Jamarcus Russell is working on an NFL comeback, and that none other than the Jets are interested in his services.

Please make this happen…

4.  jfunk says:

I’ve never understood how banning a word, which in and of itself is not offensive, because it has come to be used in a derogatory manner is productive in any way.

It doesn’t address the issue (people demeaning one another). You can tell a bunch of middle school kids that they can’t say retarded anymore and the proper term is “LD or learning disabled” all you want…they’ll just start calling each other “LD” with the same intentions.

Address the behavior, not the verbiage used during the behavior.

•  kujo says:

This post is retarded.

•  sonnymooks says:

What you are saying, is basically the history of the word “idiot” (not calling you an idiot). At one time “idiot” was a technical and medical term applied to the mentally disabled or mentally challenged, over time, the use mainstreamed, and we started using other words until we got to “retarded”.

Today in schools, the phrase du jour is “challenged” or “special” or specific kinds of disabled.

Kids, in fact, do use those words as negative terms to insult each other on the playground (along with alot of other words that we aren’t going to use on a family friendly blog, lol).

I know SB quotes get headlines but many feel the same way as Flacco. Though as NYers or giants fans we might disagree it’s not like what he’s saying is anything new.

I have longed liked Flacco. I have said for several years I would take him over Ryan in a heartbeat. I can’t lie and say that Ryan hasn’t been a better stats QB but much like Eli, Flacco just has something about him that makes him clutch. His demeanor is a lot like Eli as is his personality. But when the game is on the line both are usually at their best. Both QBs have also been downplayed because their defense and running game carried them not their play.

People laugh at Flacco wanting big money but playing in Bmore and other cold weather places what QB what you rather have over the next 5 years than Flacco? Maybe Rodgers or Luck but that’s about and I’m not certain you rather have them for where they play and how they play. Flacco isn’t a pretty QB but he’s has it factor that Eli has. If I was a Bmore fan I wouldn’t want another QB.

•  jfunk says:

I’ve watched a few Ravens games over the past couple years and I think Flacco looks like absolute trash at least as often as he looks good, if not more.

If that kid thinks he’s worth Drew Brees money, he’s learning disabled.

•  kujo says:

I think some are offended by his choice of words. Not me, obviously–I’ve been up for 90 minutes and have already said at least a half dozen things that are all far more offensive than the word “retard”–but I can understand how others would have a problem with the face of a franchise using a derogatory term like that, in public.

6.  Samardzija says:

This topic reminds me of this:

7.  F0XLIN says:

Did anyone catch the rerun of the Super Bowl last night?

After seeing how explosive Nicks was it’s evident how banged up he really was this year. He was playing at 60% at best this season and his health going forward will be key to getting the offense back to dominant (as mentioned on here before)