January 25th, 2013 at 12:30 PM
By Paul Tierney

It's still too early in the offseason to have any idea what Terrell Thomas' future is with the New York Giants. After being selected in the second-round of the 2008 NFL Draft, Thomas will attempt to return to the team in 2013 after tearing his ACL for the second consecutive season, and the third time in his football career. Obviously, the odds are stacked against him. It's incredibly difficult to return to full strength after three serious knee injuries. However, Thomas seems to be on track to do just that.

'Terrell Thomas warms up' photo (c) 2010, Marianne O'Leary - license: http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.0/

Yesterday, he posted some encouraging notes on his personal website.

"The greatest thing about today’s workout was that there was no reoccurring swelling from my previous workout even though I did a lot of lateral movements and box jumps. There are also no signs of tendentious, so moving forward that is a positive," he wrote.

"This afternoon I jogged in the pool as I try to retain good sprinting form underwater. Slowly I will begin to transition out of the pool. I love the atmosphere here in Pensacola Florida. The view is beautiful, as I am right on the water. God has truly blessed me in so many ways. He has given me the opportunity to rehab in a place that is pushing me to be my best. As I workout twice a day for up to two hours which can be challenging I know that it will be worthwhile," Thomas continued.

There's a lot to digest there, but it seems like Thomas is on track to have a chance to make the roster in 2013. The fact that he is able to make lateral movements without experiencing swelling and tendonitis in his knee means he has made significant progress since his surgery. He's able to run in a pool, which is the first step in a long process of attempting to get back to full speed.

It is interesting that Thomas has chosen to rehab in Pensacola, Florida as opposed to at the Giants facilities in New Jersey, or even at his home in California. Presumably, the Giants would want him under their supervision after suffering two consecutive ACL tears. However, that could be the same reason Thomas has chosen to move his rehab elsewhere. Given the recent track record of the Giants training staff, it's likely Thomas  wanted a change of scenery.

Through all the adversity he has gone through over the last two years, Thomas still wants to remain a member of the Giants in 2013.

"I am doing everything possible to return to football in 2013. I pray that I will be playing with the Giants but if God has another plan for me then so be it. I thank you for the unending support you have shown during the rehab process. I enjoy playing football more than anything in the world; money is not my motive. Please keep the positive encouragement coming my way because I really appreciate it," he added.

Obviously, Terrell Thomas future with the Giants is uncertain. He needs to significantly restructure his contract (or be released and subsequently re-signed) to even be considered an option in 2013. Furthermore, it's still uncertain if he still has the speed to play cornerback or if he will have to be moved to safety. Whatever the case, it appears as if his rehab is on track at this point. Thomas still has a long road ahead of him, but his return would be a pleasant surprise for next season.

Tags: Florida, Football, New Jersey, New York, New York Giants, NFL, Terrell Thomas

8 Responses to “New York Giants’ Terrell Thomas Jogging in Pool, Hopes to Return to Team in 2013”

1.  G-MenFan says:

You guys were just looking for an excuse to run this picture again–admit it.

This isn’t good. TT’s only running in a pool … and in 5 months he’s supposed to be doing drills at mini-camp? Then 2 months later full contact? Doesn’t sound likely. It was really mean of God to blow out his ACL again.

Cap math …

Assumptions … (in millions of dollars)

1 QB at 10
    1 backup QB at 2
    3 stars at 6 each; 18
    5 solid pros at 4 each; 20
    10 journeyman at 2 each; 20

You now have 20 players getting 70. This leaves you with about 50 to cover the remaining 31.

This is probably fairly typical, and I don’t know how teams handle it and stay competitive.

The idea is very good but the numbers are low. The link below shows our 2012 cap numbers. The basic difference is that our top 20 player took up 88 mil, which leaves less than 30 mil for 33 players active players. But then we had 2.7 mil in dead money, mostly from Jacobs. Plus another 14 players from cuts and IR that were paid in 2012 but mostly low amounts. Our projected top 20 looks even worse cap wise for 2013 as does possible dead money.

I wasn’t saying it was us. Just musing over what a typical team must be facing. Looks like we’re even worse off.

The cap is a complicated beast, but it’s based on your top 51 salaries. One would think the full roster of 53 would be the baseline, but it’s weirdly just 51.

I think the point is that we have to do a lot of restructuring and letting people got to get even to an 80 mil number for our top 20. Plus even just cutting Diehl will create more dead money than last year. If we add one or more of Boley, Bradshaw, Webster and/or Canty that dead number can get into the 10 mil range. Which is why at least at least 2 of those players probably stays.

The cap numbers show why teams who have surprising “break out” years from low paid players are atsuch an advantage. Especially teams like Seattle and SF who have them at the QB position.

Look at us last year with Cruz. Nicks and JPP on rookie deals too. I’m wondering if this is almost a necessity to be a contender.

Cheap labor is how you survive. You need some good vets acquistions like Carlos roders and Justin Smith have been for SF. Or Boldin and Jacoby Jones for the Raven. Teams like SF, Seattle and even Bmore to this point have gotten by with paying very little for their QB position. SF tied their young vet stars up in Osi and Tuck type ways. But they probably only have one more run before they really feel the hit.