January 25th, 2013 at 2:30 PM
By Paul Tierney

'Eli Manning' photo (c) 2012, Mike Morbeck - license: http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/2.0/ It's going to be especially hard for New York Giants fans to endure the Super Bowl festivities about to take place in New Orleans next week. Despite having as much talent as any team in the NFL, Big Blue fell well short of their Super Bowl aspirations in 2012. However, as nauseating as it may be to watch two other teams compete for the right to strip Big Blue of the title of "defending Super Bowl champions," the matchup of the Harbaugh brothers is certainly intriguing.

The Harbaugh brothers will be the first brothers to ever coach against each other in a Super Bowl. The brothers grew up together in Toldeo, Ohio and are aged just a year apart. This is a dynamic that intrigues fans because, quite frankly, it's relatively unprecedented. However, New York Giants quarterback Eli Manning, whose brother Peyton had an MVP caliber season for the Denver Broncos this year, says that he understands how the Harbaugh brothers feel heading into the matchup next Sunday.

"For me, it was just always, 'Hey, I am going against the Colts defense,' or next year I will be going against the Denver defense," Manning told ESPN. "I am worried about that and I am worried about going out there and trying to play my best."

The Giants will play the Broncos next season at MetLife Stadium, a matchup which will surely garner the attention of the national media. The Manning brothers have played against each other twice in their illustrious careers. Peyton has won each matchup as a member of the Indianapolis Colts.

However, Eli says that although he does think about the prospect of facing his older brother, it in no way effects his thought process during the actual game.

"I might take a moment before the game as the national anthem is going on," Manning said. "And you kind of look over and see your big brother on the other sideline, a pretty neat experience. After the game, give him a hug. But beside that, once the game has started, you are totally focused on doing your job."

In reality, Eli and Peyton do not literally play against each other. They are never on the field at the exact same time. However, just as the Manning brothers will attempt to downplay their matchup next season, Both Jim Harbaugh and John Harbaugh have publicly diminished the importance of their coaching matchup. While it's fun for the media to talk about, it's not going to matter too much after kickoff.

Tags: Denver, Denver Broncos, Eli Manning, Football, Indianapolis, Indianapolis Colts, Jim Harbaugh, John Harbaugh, MetLife Stadium, New Orleans, New York, New York Giants, NFL, Super Bowl

26 Responses to “New York Giants’ Eli Manning Understands What Harbaugh Brothers are Going Through”

The cap numbers show why teams who have surprising “break out” years from low paid players are at such an advantage. Especially teams like Seattle and SF who have them at the QB position.

Look at us last year with Cruz. Nicks and JPP on rookie deals too. I’m wondering if this is almost a necessity to be a contender.

Cheap labor is how you survive. You need some good vets acquistions like Carlos Rodgers and Justin Smith have been for SF. Or Boldin and Jacoby Jones for the Raven. Teams like SF, Seattle and even Bmore to this point have gotten by with paying very little for their QB position. SF tied their young vet stars up in Osi and Tuck type ways. But they probably only have one more run before they really feel the hit.

2.  LUZZ says:

Just read through the TT article. Krow is right, TT seems to be way behind. i heard yesterday the Marcus Latimore is getting ready to start running in the pool next week, and had one of the most gruesome knee injuries I’ve seen.

TT should be farther along by now. Not good.

Regrading the 2012 NFL draft

Post-draft grade: C+

Summary: In my grades after the draft I wrote, “I had running back as the top need for the Giants, and they got one with their first pick. David Wilson should be productive, but I think they really would have preferred Doug Martin. I might have gone with an O-lineman there, but the Giants have capably kept things patched up for a couple years, and will have to continue to do so, because they didn’t get a tackle until the fourth round.” Well, I think it’s still fair to say they might have preferred Martin, who had a huge season for the Bucs. And while the O-line was a question, in typical fashion, the coaching staff kept it patched together. So, was Wilson the best pick? Despite too much time spent in the Tom Coughlin doghouse, I think he’ll prove to be a good one if healthy. He’s electrifying in the return game, and given the reps in the run game, I think he’ll make his mark. Rueben Randle we knew was a high-upside project in Round 2, and that’s what he looked like as a rookie. The real find could be third-rounder Jayron Hosley, who led college football in INTs as a sophomore, struggled as a junior and saw his stock fall. Well, he came on down the stretch and could be a starter in 2013. There’s a ton of projection left in this draft, but we may look back in a couple years and say it looks a lot better than it does today.

New grade: C+

I think you guys are worried about the wrong thing with TT. I think he will be “recovered” by OTAs. The question is is his new 100% enough to make any meaningful impact even if he’s healthy. Remember this was a partial ACL tear and given his past i bet they are just being very conservative since there’s a lot of time until OTAs or even training camp. I’m much more worried that his new 100% won’t make him more than a Sash level player. And if that’s the case you rather have a Sash because Sash is durable.

5.  sonnymooks says:

I hate to say this, because I do like TT but I do not think he can play 16 games, he can’t stay healthy.

He can make it back for OTAs, he may be able to play preseason, he’ll even play part of the regular season, but he will NOT finish the season, its time to accept that and move on.

Certain players, it happens, they work hard, they have talent, but their health is not sustainable, they can’t avoid getting injured, its inevitable.

I’m starting to sadly feel the same way about Kenny Philips too, and thats a shame.

When you start making out your roster and deciding who is and is not going to start, you need to consider and ask the question, how likely is this player going to be able to play 19 games ? Can we get him to play 19 games, and practise every week ? If you find yourself saying he is good for 15 or 12, then you need to look elsewhere for possible replacements.

You’re putting up some really good posts (thank goodness someone around here remembers enough history to correct the impression that Gilbride “created” anything…I’ve grown to respect him, but he himself doesn’t take credit for those offensive schemes, and shouldn’t) but except in certain cases (and always post-serious-injury) there’s no way to really project what a player will be like as far as durability.

How would you assess Tuck? The guy has been hurt in the same shoulder for three seasons. Will that get better, or will he find a way to overcome it? If not, he may play 19-20 games but not at a high-enough level.

What about Nicks? Will he ever be okay for an entire season? I don’t think his series of injuries is a reason to even think about refusing to rely on someone I believe will be in Canton someday.

The whole injury risk thing is very hard to figure. Some players have come back and played well after really bad injuries. Many don’t. It’s awfully hard to separate one from the other in a violent sport where any player can be injured on each and every play.

•  BigBlueGiant says:

Injuries are part of the game.

I have said this before time and time again about Nicks, he’s just that guy that will be hampered by injuries and will never play a full season. It happens.

FF55 Canton for Nicks? He’s a very good player, but let’s not get ahead of ourselves here. The guy can’t stay on the field.

Well, I said that about Nicks when we drafted him, that’s my story and I’m sticking with it. I have always used the caveat “health permitting”, but the guy is already a tremendous player with more upside to come.

•  BigBlueGiant says:

I think Nicks is a great player, But he’s got to stay healthy and put up stats. If he can’t stay on the field for more than 13 games a year, he’s got little chance at Canton.

I think it’s too early to tell. Steve Smith had an injury riddled start to his career then became durable. When a player has been banged up more than serious injury is much easier to turn it around. I recall Jimmy smith missing his first 2 years then becoming a near HOFer. Assuming his injury isn’t chronic then we really don’t know. Beatty is a free agent with some similar concerns. I think contract wise you have him if he’s always healthy in per year salary but guarantee wise is where you should get a discount from the durability questions.

So Gillbride didn’t create the run and shoot does that not make him an innovator? That was the core of my point, that Gillbride has been an innovator in the NFL.

I think he is a good coach, but not a huge innovator, no.

He has created variations on another man’s theme. Nothing wrong with that. But that isn’t an innovator in my book.

Bill Walsh was an innovator. Sid Luckman and Sammy Baugh were innovators. June Jones was an innovator. Others followed the path they created.

Frankly, who cares? Just coach us to a few more titles and I wouldn’t care if the guy was a fisherman on holiday.

I agree with everything you said except you included June Jones. How is Jones any more of an innovator than Gillbribe? Or did you mean Mouse Davis generally credited with creating the run and shoot?

But anyway my original point was that Gillbride has some of that outside the box thinking in his past. Maybe he lost it i don’t know. But I was impressed by the new wringles I saw week 17. I know many wonder what took him so long but with so many years of success it might have taken falling flat on their face like we did vs ATL and Bal to create some change.

•  sonnymooks says:

I love Tuck, and have been a fan of his since he was at Notre Dame, but the truth is, he’s beat up, he’s nearing the end, and he may have just one more probowl season in him, 2 tops. As much as I love him, I know that his best days are behind him, he’s not going to be that guy that he was anymore, if we’re luck, this being a contract year, we get one of those last “probowl” quality years out of him.

As for Nicks, he is still young, and I honestly think that he can stay healhty for a season and be something great, its still to early in his career to say, but I think he is already moving into the best Giants receiver I’ve ever seen, he’s young, hopefully, he can stay healthy, and can be relied on.

BTW, strange point, when I was a kid, the houston oilers were one of my favorite teams (after the Giants of course, lol), I actually was a huge Kevin Gilbride fan, and used to think that he was going to be a big time head coach with titles and everything. After he got fired in San Diego (raw deal), I honestly thought it was a minor setback. Somewhere along the lines, he basically stagnated, and regressed. Buffalo was a disaster, Pittsburg didn’t go well. He’s won 2 superbowls with Tom Couglin, and if you ask Coughlin who the best playcaller he has ever been around is, he says……….”Bobby Petrino”, who was with him for only a season or two. Coughlin didn’t even make Gilbride his first choice as OC, that was Hufnagle. I think Gilbrides biggest problem is not so much the system, but just the timing on his playcalling, i.e. going pass happy when you should be running, and vice versa, also, he is bad at adjustments (going all the way back to when he was in Houston). He’s not bad, he’s not great, he works well with systems and has an eye for details. He won’t outsmart you, but he does have an eye for details. He is excellent though with working with QBs.

6.  LUZZ says:

I don’t know if I would give TT the label of “can’t stay healthy”. He’s had 1 knee injury that is keeping him off the field. prior to that, he didn’t have any history of getting injured. For whatever reason TTs recovery didn’t go well and he re-aggrevated the same injury. I might be splitting hairs in making the distinction.

It’s amazing that some guys are able to make full recoveries from bad knee injuries in relative short time and others can’t. I wonder which is more of a factor, the physician that performs the surgery or the rehab philosophy of the athlete? Like everything it’s probably a little of both. However, there does seem to be formulas that work better than others.

•  TroyThorne says:

Don’t forget to factor in genetics, severity of the original injury, and, of course, plain old (bad) luck. If Adrian Peterson zigged instead of zagged in week 2, maybe he hurts his knee again.

•  BigBlueGiant says:

That ONE injury happened three times on the same knee. Once in college, the other two in the NFL.

3 ACL tears on the same knee.

•  LUZZ says:

He was fully recovered from the college ACL. He reinjured it as the result of a blow to the side of his knee while his foot was planted. i would say almost any healthy knee would have been in trouble in that situation. Now, had he redone it from some sort of noncontact situation, then I would say he wasn’t fully recovered.

However, his last setback was a noncontact setback which is what is most concerning from my perspective.

He was a very very solid CB when he went down. I hope he is able to recover.

•  BigBlueGiant says:

Does it matter how it happened? it’s the 3rd time on the same knee. The chances of full recovery and the ability to play at the level that he once had is slim.

7.  TroyThorne says:

To be fair, if you read TT’s quotes in the article, he mentions he was doing lateral movements and box jumps the day prior. It’s not like he’s just running in the pool and doing nothing else. He’ll be in the pool for a while regardless of how healthy his knee really is just because there’s no point in having him sprint on turf with the season so far away. Too much risk for no real reward.

8.  BigBlueGiant says:

Being the realist that I am. I don’t think TT will ever be close to the player he once was. I actually think he will be let go sometime in camp or shortly after.

I don’t think TT should be thought of as anything but a depth guy for 2013. Given his durability questions even if he passes all of tests with flying colors and is in our nickel package form game one we still have to have capable players behind him. TT is a shot in the dark for 2013, nothing more.