New York Giants Keep or Dump: Chris Canty

January 23rd, 2013 at 4:39 PM
By Paul Tierney

After leading the team to their second Super Bowl in five seasons, the New York Giants defensive line crashed back down to earth in 2012. Not only did Big Blue's trio of Pro Bowl caliber defensive ends fail to wreak havoc on opposing offenses, but the middle of the defense was about as soft as they come. Although defensive tackle Chris Canty showed considerable improvement in 2011, his injury plagued 2012 campaign has many wondering if he will be on the roster next season.

'You The Man' photo (c) 2010, New York City Department of Transportation - license: http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nd/2.0/

For the right price, Canty is worth keeping around. He is 6'7" and 317 pounds. His size alone makes teams account for his presence in the middle of the defense. However, Canty's salary cap hit for 2013 is $8.2 million. If the Giants decide to cut him, they can recoup $6.5 million of salary cap room. Given Canty's history of back injuries and lack of production in 2012, his salary is currently above his market value. At the very least, Jerry Reese should look into restructuring Canty's contract to portray his overall value to the team.

However, it's not like the Giants have any bona fide replacements waiting in the wings either.

Marvin Austin was drafted in the second round of the 2011 draft, but missed the entire season with a torn pectoral muscle. In 2012, he made five tackles in limited playing time over eight games. This was Austin's first full season of football since 2009, as he missed his final season at North Carolina due to NCAA sanctions. It's entirely possible that Austin will further develop after going through a full training camp in 2013, which, due to health concerns, is an opportunity he has not been afforded since being drafted. However, at this point, the Giants can not count on Austin to step into a starting role next season. If he makes the team, he will more than likely see limited playing time.

Perhaps the most intriguing candidate to supplant Canty as a starter is Markus Kuhn. Kuhn is an undersized defensive tackle at 6'4" and 299 pounds; however, he looked impressive last season before tearing his ACL. Given his recent knee injury, it's too early to ordain him as the team's next starting defensive tackle. Not only does he have to further develop within Perry Fewell's scheme, but he has to prove his body is up to the task of playing increased snaps.

The Giants will have ample opportunities to scour the free agent market for a defensive tackle. Players such as Randy Starks and Henry Melton will likely be out of the Giants price range. Even if the Giants had the salary cap room to sign them, there are more pressing needs on this roster along the offensive line, at linebacker and even in the defensive backfield. However, the Giants may be able to take a chance that a guy like Glenn Dorsey can finally stay healthy. Unless the best player available on the Giants draft board is a defensive tackle, there is not going to be a perfect solution found at the defensive tackle position this offseason.

The likely path that the Giants will take with Chris Canty will be to approach him about restructuring his contract. At the right price, the team will be able to make room for him on the roster. If he can stay healthy next season, there is no reason why he can not rebound and get back to producing the way he did in 2011. It would be prudent to bring in another low cost free agent for depth, but the Giants have bigger issues to solve than at defensive tackle right now.

Tags: Carolina, Chris Canty, contract, Football, free agent, Jerry Reese, Markus Kuhn, Marvin Austin, New York, New York Giants, NFL, North Carolina, Perry Fewell, Super Bowl

19 Responses to “New York Giants Keep or Dump: Chris Canty”

1.  Samardzija says:

Not going to pretend like Ive watched a lot of college ball this year as Ive only watched the Irish. But this Dobbs fella from Marshall intrigues me. Thoughts on him?

2.  sonnymooks says:

Might be a good time to look in the draft at getting a penetrating DT. If you can get a pass rushing DT, you better damn well get him, guys who can get sacks out of the interior of the line are worth their (over)weight in gold.

Canty isn’t a bonafide pass rusher, but he clogs the middle, collapses the pocket, and can generate pressure on the QB every now and again, he’s stout, but he isn’t worth this kind of money.

Get him to restructure, we don’t have much else.

3.  Frank G says:

This time of year you really have to do your digging on finding names of guys the Giants interview. They must try and keep it quiet because most of the draft sites show teams interviewing with ten plus guys over the course of the week and rarely do you see that many names attached to the Giants especially during the Senior Bowl and Combine weeks.

One name I have seen so far is Kent State tackle Brian Winters and while I can’t say I have seen much of him outside the MAC Championship I really hope Reese is targeting a much more polished tackle in this years draft. I think while we have gotten buy without a drafting a premier tackle the time to do so is now. Go get a guy whos started some games, who is not a project and not from a smaller school. Just from grazing over all 32 teams rosters I would estimate that around 75 % of the teams have an offensive tackle from a big time program and was drafted to be an immediate starter. I just think with or without Beatty that needs to be a position that is adressed.

Also really liking Margus Hunt from SMU as an inside out guy. I just feel like you get certain chances every few years to go get a game changing type of athlete like a Gronkowski, Watt, JPP etc and when you pass up on a guy like that it seems like a missed oppurtunity. I feel like Hunt is the type of athlete that could be in that realm of player. He would also perhaps give us a chance to use more Multiple fronts and get more athletic on defense which is something this team is going to need with Bill Callahan calling plays in Dallas… Oh and Chip Kelly and RG3 ;)

4.  kujo says:

Martellus Bennett’s take on the Te’o story:

“@1987Marty: I’m tired of this Manti Bevo story. There’s more important sh-t going on in the world, then some dude falling in love with a shadow. Sheesh. I mean I’m sure his feelings were hurt but what else? No one died, no one got robbed, tortured, lost or anything. Interviewing dude on every major network for getting played like a sucka. I wouldn’t even wanna be on tv if I were him. Sounding like a lil b-tch. Grow some nuts and man up bro. And focus on ball.”

Amen!

5.  Nosh.0 says:

My 2 cents on G101 Clothing Line. So Dan here’s my suggestions.

- To start off I’d focus mainly on T-Shirts. Other items tend to cost more to make and are not as good sellers. T-Shirts will be your best selling items.

- Material. For a lot of guys a T-Shirt is just a T-Shirt. This however is not true. Just look at all your Giants SB t-shirts made by reebok. They’re complete cr@.p. They shrink a ton after washing and feel like cardboard. Thats because they use 100% cotton and cheap cotton at that. You want to get 50/50 (50% cotton 50%Polyester) which will give your shirt that nice soft feel. It doesn’t need to be an exact 50/50 blend but some sort of cotton/poly blend. Trust me, people under 30 want this.

- American Apparel was the standard but they are over priced. There’s a new company called “Next Level” that makes Tees with a blend thats pretty cheap and popular among up and coming designers.

- I assume you can’t use the word “Giants” or any logo. So what I’d do is look for plays that can be put on a T-Shirt. some examples off the top of my head:
    “Wide Right” T-Shirt
    “Strip Sack” T- Shirt (basically an ode to Osi, if he’s still on the team.
    L.T., Helmet Catch, and a Picture of Cowboys Stadium that says “Meadowlands West”.
    And of course anything making fun of the Cowboys, Eagles or Patriots will play well.

Anyway, people like stuff like this and they should sell. The kid at the 7line has made a good amount of money selling Mets shirts and I don’t think they’re even that good.

Here is a Seattle version of that.

Anyway good luck. I think it’s a great idea and if done right you should be able to make a lot of money. Just remember the material is incredibly important. It’s the difference between a one time customer and repeat business.

6. Dan BentonDan Benton says:

Marty is losing on Twitter. Badly. He needs to stop.

7.  Begiant says:

I think health is the biggest concern with Canty. Will he be healthy enough to play at a 2011 level? I was correct in predicting that he would not return to the dominance that he appeared to be heading to after the redskins game however I am not sure if the injury will hinder him for the rest of his career. I would love for him to get back to 100% and help clog the middle but the cap saving is also enticing. I think he is a candidate for restructure and if unwilling may be cut. I liked him however we could bring in a rotational dtackle or two in to fill the void if need be.

8.  Dirt says:

Revis is apparently on the trading block – I think we should go all in and trade whatever the Jets ask for to get him!!

I heard we offered them Corey Webster and our #1. When the Jets countered with ‘just the #1′ negotiations broke down.

•  Begiant says:

He would be very very expensive next year and is coming off injury…might even hold out. I would be skeptical of trading a high pick unless I get confimation some of these concerns are met.

•  G-MenFan says:

Why wouldn’t you trade a high pick? Is the Giants high pick going to definitely be better than Darrel Revis? Nope.

The question here is not “do we give a high pick”, but “how many high picks are they going to demand?” THAT is what will make this deal too rich for our blood.

•  Begiant says:

If the man is not resigning with the Jets then I am not throwing high picks at the Jets so I get to throw 15 million a year at Revis next year. I am fine with signing Revis straight up next year…now if they want to trade him for a high round pick with some possible later ones I am open to deal.

9.  kujo says:

We’re not going to go after Revis.

We’re just not. So just move on.