New York Giants’ Justin Tuck Vows to Return to All-Pro Level in 2013

January 23rd, 2013 at 6:30 AM

New York Giants defensive end Justin Tuck is not happy with himself. As he continues to breakdown game film from the 2012 season, he sees a player he doesn't recognize; a player he doesn't want to be. And while attending a Garden of Dreams charity event at MSG on Tuesday night, the veteran lineman vowed to be better in 2013.

'Justin Tuck: Calm Before the Storm.' photo (c) 2009, Heath Brandon - license: http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/2.0/

“That’s what it’s going to be for me, getting back to the Pro Bowl, All-Pro type status that I’m accustomed to playing at,” Tuck said. “I’ve been watching film of myself the last couple weeks and it’s just frustrating to see that I haven’t played to that standard and that’s going to be a definite focus for me.”

Tuck played poorly across the board in 2012, and faded down the stretch. Not only was he failing to reach the quarterback, but also began to suffer against the run. He finished the season with only four sacks – his lowest total since 2006 – and had little impact elsewhere, failing to force or recover a single fumble.

For the second year in a row, Tuck also struggled with injuries – most notably, a lingering shoulder issue that's become a reoccurring problem since being tripped by Dallas Cowboys offensive lineman Flozell Adams in 2009.

“[Staying healthy] is going to be a huge focus for me to make sure I do my due diligence this offseason, training and eating the right things to make sure that next year is a normal Justin Tuck year compared to last year,” Tuck added.

With Osi Umenyiora almost certainly leaving via free agency, Big Blue will need Tuck to return to normal in 2013. If he can't, teams will continue to double and triple-team Jason Pierre-Paul, rendering the Giants' once fearsome pass rush almost obsolete.

Tags: Dallas, Dallas Cowboys, Football, Jason Pierre-Paul, Justin Tuck, New York, New York Giants, NFL, Osi Umenyiora

12 Responses to “New York Giants’ Justin Tuck Vows to Return to All-Pro Level in 2013”

1.  F0XLIN says:

His shoulder is shot, it took one game before he was running to the sideline checking it. I do not expect Tuck to ever return to pro bowl form

2.  tgowen says:

I would simply appreciate it if Tuck decided to take a vow of silence until he reached his pro bowl level again.

3.  Rick021 says:

I don’t believe this guy is a natural leader who inspires anyone. A talented and hard working team member back in his day no doubt, but he doesn’t seem to possess that fire or drive to push those around him to perform better. Problem is that to take the C off his uniform would just hurt his feelings and make him even more self conscious

•  G-MenFan says:

Correct, it’s a quandry. There’s a guy on our defense wearing a “C” and we’re mulling over whether or not he should be cut. Not good.

•  Rick021 says:

I don’t think there is any serious suggestion he might be cut. Even with his injury history and decreased productivity, in a diminished role he can serve as a quality rotation player to see out his contract and perhaps contribute more if he isn’t so gassed from playing as many downs. I just question that the team took him as being the natural successor to Strahan a bit too far when they assumed that he is a leader of mean like Michael was

•  sonnymooks says:

Personally, I think he needs to be pushed, its no different with him then with many or any other player. You need to put pressure on him, he’s not a self motivator kind of guy.

JPP is on the opposite side, he’s not stealing Tucks job, if you had a DE that could come in, with some hype, and make some noise about stealing Tucks job, that would probably be enough to push him.

If the Giants draft a DE in the first round, or no later then the 2nd round, some kind of pass rusher, that Tuck could view as a threat, he’ll push himself harder then he ever has (as an added boost, we also get another pass rusher that we soreley need, regardless of how Tuck plays, we do, at the end of the day, need to reload and restock our pass rushing cupboard).

4.  Hanshi says:

The New York Giants are in a worse salary cap bind heading into the 2013 season that originally reported. Initial estimates had the Giants at $4.7 over the estimated $121 million cap for next season. That number is actually $9.15 million over, nearly double the initially reported estimate, according to National Football Post salary cap analyst Joel Corry.

5.  G-MenFan says:

The following is a short article written by someone named Martin Alvin. It was posted to another blog site, whose name I will not mention. I don’t know who Martin Alvin is–he’s not on their staff–but I wanted to post his work here for those who have not read it, apropos of this thread:

Hey, NY Giants, Wake The ‘F’ Up … Please!
    January 15th, 2013 Martin Alvin Posted in Opinions

My cousin Carmine — God rest his felonious, bullet-riddled, soul — with his cement-block head and no neck; was a dangerous guy. But, occasionally, he’d put his leg-breaking duties aside and join the family for Sunday dinner. Afterward, he’d always push his chair away from the table, pat his beer belly, swollen under his spaghetti-stained, wife-beater, ‘T’ shirt, and offer up the same dumb joke:

“Hey, I’m not hungry anymore! Must be losing my appetite.”

And everyone would stifle a groan and offer an obligatory, ha, ha, ha; after which, mercifully, Carmine would get up, go to the living room and fall asleep on the sofa, laying there, inert, like a huge, pasta-gorged, boulder.

His humor, or lack thereof, of course, was based on that fact that, when critters are fully fed, even the most dangerous of them: lions, tigers, grizzlies, and my cousin Carmine, simply aren’t hungry anymore. Ha, ha, ha. But here’s the thing about dangerous critters not being hungry anymore; when they aren’t hungry anymore, they aren’t dangerous anymore … until they get hungry again; which brings me to the Giants.

The 2011 Giants got hungry late, and because of that, they got dangerous late. Just ask their last six opponents: the Jets, Cowboys, Falcons, Packers, 49ers and Patriots. And when they finished devouring those teams, they took their SB XLVI trophy home and — fully fed — fell asleep. Unfortunately, when 2012 began, the Giants were still asleep. And like fully fed lions, tigers, grizzlies and my larcenous cousin Carmine; they just weren’t dangerous anymore … because they weren’t hungry anymore.

That’s not an indictment of the 2012 NY Giants, by the way; their reaction was simply the psychological norm. Only six teams have ever repeated as back-to-back, Super Bowl Champions: the Packers, Dolphins, Steelers, 49ers, Broncos and Patriots. So, let’s face it; it’s just too tough to stay hungry when fully fed. Ask Carmine. Oh, that’s right, you can’t: he’s dead. Anyway, hopefully, now that we’ve missed the playoffs, and a shot at back-to-back championships, we’ll start 2013 hungry.

The irony, though, is; the Giants are probably responsible for stimulating the hunger driving three of the four remaining teams in the hunt for SB XLVII. And we may have done that by embarrassing the Falcons at Met Life, outlasting the 49ers at Candlestick and stealing one — again — from the Patriots in SB XLVI. The only team whose hunger we didn’t stimulate is the Ravens, and oh, yeah, one other team … the Giants themselves.

So, now we get to look forward to 2013: and free agency, and the draft, and OTAs, and mini camps, and training camp, and the preseason, and opening day; and maybe — just, maybe — a home, Super Bowl win at Met Life Stadium. And yes, God help us, to a steady stream of postings like this one. Yikes! Hey, NY Giants, Wake The ‘F’ Up … Please!

6.  GIANTT says:

Hynocerous doing sports on Fox . Sounds intelligent – He even did his TD dance – I didnt know it had steps to it .You just have to remember to keep the middle finger down apparently . Id like to see him used a bit more than as a blocker . Maybe short yardage . Im sure he would not pussyfoot around and hit the d–m hole hard .
    Stay warm my friends

7.  TuckThis says:

G-MenFan, loved the post. Thanks for sharing. A few of us said ( not quite as well as Mr. Alvin, perhaps) that this team is no longer hungry. Some of the “leaders” on this team have 2 rings which would seem to be enough for them. Does it explain the total feast/famine aspect of this team…and the consistent inconsistency, I’m not sure. But there are problems. Tuck is merely one of them.