January 23rd, 2013 at 12:30 PM

The award nominations continue for members of the New York Giants as quarterback Eli Manning and wide receiver Victor Cruz  have been nominated as the best "Dynamic Duo" in sports for the 2013 Cartoon Network Hall of Game Awards.

'Victor Cruz makes the catch' photo (c) 2011, Kathy Vitulano - license: http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nd/2.0/

In two brief years together (three if you count Cruz's rookie season in which he landed on IR), the two have developed a chemistry unmatched by most across the league. In 2011, Cruz set a franchise record with 1,536 yards and would help lead Big Blue to a Super Bowl XLVI title. Manning, meanwhile, has targeted Cruz more than any other Giants wide receiver over that time, looking his way a total of 274 times (168 receptions).

The duo goes up against Misty May-Treanor and Kerri Walsh Jennings (Olympic Women's Volleyball), Michael Phelps and Ryan Lochte (Olympic Men's Swimming) and Kevin Durant and Russell Westbrook (Oklahoma City Thunder).

You can vote for Manning and Cruz at the Cartoon Network's Hall of Game Awards website.

Tags: Eli Manning, Football, New York, New York Giants, NFL, Victor Cruz

28 Responses to “New York Giants’ Eli Manning & Victor Cruz Nominated as Best “Dynamic Duo” in Sports”

Ummmmm … Cartoon Network Hall of Game Awards ? WTF ? Who’s next … Nickelodean ?

Repost:

Krow -

I get where you are coming from in your “pay stars only” statement but I don’t think it’s that simple. We needed Canty, Webster and Boley type players to win a SB. Maybe they weren’t star players but they are very good players before 2012. The key is mananging these players as they get less effective. That’s what this offseason will be about. You do have to pay other important players sometimes but you have to jump ship at the right time. This is what Philly did exceptionally well for years. JR has been very good at this thus far but this offseason is his greatest challenge yet given our cap space, number of our own free agents and holes that we have roster wise.

Having players like Canty, Webster, Boley …add Bradshaw, Diehl … others … eat cap space that we need for players who actually contribute.

The question isn’t whether they’re good … they are … it’s can we afford them and be competitive. And is it worth the extra millions over what you’d pay a rook or a JAG?

Boley + Bradshaw = Cruz
      Webster + Diehl = Nicks

It’s cruel math, but inescapable.

Eli and Cruz didn’t deserve this nomination. They are not the best pair in the NFL, let alone a pair like the other ones listed.

•  shmitty013 says:

It’s Cartoon Network. I wouldn’t take it too seriously lol. I’m shocked to even learn Cartoon Network does this. It’s like ESPN doing the Oscars.

•  sonnymooks says:

Who the hell was behind this ? Cruzs agent ? LOL, Eli and Nicks is a better combo. I’d blow this off, but this is just another line item thats going to be used contract time.

•  shmitty013 says:

If Cruz and his agent use Cartoon Network awards to improve their argument for getting a bigger contract, I seriously hope Reese laughs in their faces.

•  sonnymooks says:

Lets be honest, we’ve seen agent manufacture BS stats and pulls things out of their rear ends to get better money, would you seriously be surprised if they didn’t ?

I’m trying to remember the football player years ago, who tried to use some nickelodian award as grounds for getting a raise, I remember that he got it, I’m trying to remember who it was.

4.  Begiant says:

If we were to cut Webster and save 7 million, How would we replace him?

•  F0XLIN says:

I agree I don’t see it happening. The only cuts I see possible for names mentioned are Boley and Bradshaw

The way he played this season we could replace him with a cigar store Indian (er, Native American….do wooden sculptures take offense at non-PC language?).

The question is really how hurt was he? If he was severely injured and, for example, his hamstring significantly limited him all season long, then maybe he’ll bounce back in 2013. If that wasn’t the case is it possible for a corner to have THAT long a slump? An entire season where he absolutely stunk? The team knows this stuff, we don’t.

But if I’m Reese I’m using my first or second pick on a corner who looks as if he could play as a rookie, and letting him fully compete for the job. And while Hosley is clearly a better slot corner than outside guy, he should at least be given the chance to prove otherwise. Hey, if they sign KP then perhaps the “backup plan” at CB is to have Rolle come into camp with the thought that he will play corner. He’s done it before and did pretty darn well this past year when forced to do so.

There ARE options besides Webster. After his 2012 season he should have no leverage. I think we ought to extend him for a year (assuming he’ll agree), add a few dollars to his payout next season if he’s cut, shift the cap hit to next year (and have it halved, or better, through the terms of the extension), and let him compete to be the #2 or #3 corner. But if he was healthy in 2012 except for a twinge in his hammy, then I wouldn’t miss him at all if they cut him. He was awful.

•  Hanshi says:

Jonathan Banks?

Or Rhodes or Trufant.

Of course, we should all go nuts if Reese figures out how to get Milliner, but that ain’t happening.

•  Hanshi says:

Yup. I may be totally wrong but if I were running a draft, I’d identify my top 4 areas of need and draft the BPA that fits one of those areas. In no certain order, I think those areas of need are: DL, OT, CB & LB. I’m thinking the BPA in one of those areas of need may be Banks or Montgomery

•  BigBlueGiant says:

I’ve heard you mention Rhodes a few times…

Not as high on that kid as you are. I think he’s late 2nd early 3rd round material at best.

Well, I love his physicality. He reminds me a lot of Prince in regard to size and willingness to mix it up. I think as the offenses change in the NFL corners who can play tough press coverage and can come up and make tackles around the edges will be really valuable. Prince is a guy who can do that. I think Rhodes can too based on the couple of games I saw FSU play, including their bowl game.

If somehow he dropped to the second round I’d be all over him.

I like Trufant and Banks and Poyer too, with Banks probably the best of the three, but while any of them could actually fit Fewell’s current scheme even better than could Rhodes, I hate that scheme and hope we’ll see it change.

There are plenty of good corners available in April. I sure hope Reese grabs one of them.

We’d replace him with someone on the roster or a draftee. Then we’d use the cap space to sign Cruz.

I’m being simplistic, but laying out 7,000,000 cap dollars on a guy who got beat like a tin drum all year because we don’t have someone to replace him is a team killer.

If he’s a shutdown corner then he’s worth the money. If he’s not then he ain’t.

5.  F0XLIN says:

FF55,

How did you let Richard Sherman slip through the cracks to the 5th round last year. Maybe my memory is hazy but I don’t remember him being mentioned on G101 draft time last year? I figured you would be all over that pick

•  BigBlueGiant says:

2 years ago.

He’s a big guy. And wasn’t speedy. Couldnt cover that well either in college.

Scouts thought that he would have trouble with faster WR’s

•  shmitty013 says:

He was in the 2011 draft.

Sherman didn’t come into his own till he roided up in Seattle.

He was a converted wide receiver who only played corner his senior year, was still learning, and didn’t look all that impressive. In fact, he was pretty horrid in a lot of games. Who knew?

btw, Stanford has a good number of blue-chippers this time around. Everyone knows about Ertz (I’ve been praising him here for three years) and Thomas, both of whom should be picked before the second round ends, but there are at least 4-5 others who should be playing on Sundays next year.

Check out their offensive line, their linebackers, and their small-but-powerful running back. All good.

If we saved 7 mil by cutting Webster we could sign a good free agent CB to replace him. A guy I like who I think we could sign with that money is Lewis from Pitt.

7.  F0XLIN says:

Ah ok, thought he was a rookie

8.  shmitty013 says: