January 22nd, 2013 at 4:01 PM
By Paul Tierney

By now, we are all familiar with the very public debacle that took place between Manti Te'o and his fictional girlfriend Lennay Kekua. When the story broke, the public perception was that Te'o was complicit in a hoax in order to garner media attention. As the facts of the story emerged over the coming days, it appeared very plausible that Te'o was actually the victim, not the perpetrator. However, for Te'o, the most important aspect of this story will be how it affects his 2013 NFL Draft status.

'BCS National Championship Game, Jan. 7, 2013' photo (c) 2013, Matt Velazquez - license: http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nd/2.0/

Before this story came to fruition, Te'o was slated as first-round draft pick. It's debatable how much of his draft stock was based upon talent and how much was due to his notoriety, but his character and leadership qualities were one of his most defining characteristics.  New York Giants general manager Jerry Reese does not know if this specific media firestorm will have an impact on that notion.

"Well, we don’t know yet, because we haven't sat down and talked to him at all yet," Giants general manager Jerry Reese said. "And again, it’s still early, most people don’t know the details. I know I don’t know all the details, and so it’s hard to say right now."

On the field, Manti Te'o has proven to be a fairly versatile linebacker. He has the size and durability to hold up in the middle of any defensive scheme. He's shown the ability to make plays in pass coverage and has quality intangibles. It remains to be seen how his game translates to the NFL. There are questions about his speed and overall athleticism, which stem from is deplorable performance against Alabama in the BCS National Championship game two weeks ago.

Regardless of Te'o's disastrous showing in Miami and embarrassing relationship issues, most mock drafts still have him being taken in the first round. However, for Reese, it's still way to early to tell how his draft stock will fluctuate between now and April. Part of determining how Te'o's recent girlfriend hoax will effect his draft status will be how he interviews on the topic.

"It’s still early in the process," Reese said. "Everybody will interview, have interviews. We interview most all the players, and so we’ll interview him, just like we interview everybody else. If he’s in the right spot, and we like him well enough, any of these guys could be a possibility, including him. He’s in the mix with everybody else, but there's a lot of work to do before April. We’ll get all the information that we can gather on these players and we’ll see how that goes. But right now it’s still too early to tell which direction we’ll go (in the draft). But like always, with us, we pick the best player that’s on the board at the time."

Obviously, Jerry Reese is not going to publicize his opinion on the Te'o story, nor will he say how it has effected his draft stock at this point. The overall consensus around the league is that as long Te'o talks openly and honestly about the story, it will not change where he is selected in April. However, it makes no sense for Reese to tip his hand either way this early in the process.

Tags: Football, Jerry Reese, Miami, New York, New York Giants, NFL, NFL Draft

48 Responses to “New York Giants GM Jerry Reese Uncertain If Manti Te’o's Draft Status Has Been Affected”

1.  BigBlueGiant says:

REPOST:

Samardzija says:
    January 22, 2013 at 3:58 PM

Yeah Eric Fisher is owning people left and right. Pretty much stonewalled everyone in 1 on 1, Ive never seen that before…

BigBlueGiant says:
    January 22, 2013 at 4:00 PM

REPOST:

Eric Fisher is already projected top 15. Possibly top 10. Kid;s a mauler. We wont get near him.
    Justin Pugh? LOL!!! STOP.

The top Olineman:
    1st round picks
    Luke Joeckel
    Erik Fisher
    Chance Womack

2nd- 3rd round picks.
    Jonathan Cooper
    Barret Jones
    Dallas Thomas
    Lane Johnson
    DJ Fluker
    Kyle Long

VERY doubtful that the top 3 OLinemen fall to 19. 2nd round is where there is good value in drafting an O-lineman.

I’m sticking with it… DE/LB round 1

•  Samardzija says:

Still early, but I think Lane Johnson goes in the first. Dont disagree to much. Not too keen on LB round one, but I can def see DE, pretty good class at the top

•  BigBlueGiant says:

i said it a few weeks ago, and Im stickign with it… But if he’s still there at 19, Ezikial Ansah is our pick.

But his stock is soaring as of late, and im sure it’ll climb further after the combine.

•  shmitty013 says:

If you want your rankings taken seriously, at least get all the guys’ names right. It’s Chance Warmack**. Womack is the FBI Agent in the movie The Rock or the former MLB 2nd baseman.

•  BigBlueGiant says:

Wow. It’s the spell correct wizard. You must have been a real popular kid in 3rd grade after winning those spelling bees.

Get bent, C0ckboy.

•  shmitty013 says:

Don’t get your panties in a bunch. Jeez, that time of month, is it?

•  BigBlueGiant says:

Don’t be that guy to send a snarky remark on a spelling error.

•  shmitty013 says:

Wasn’t intended to be snarky. Actually quite the opposite. That’s why I put in the part about who the Womacks are, for a laugh. Obviously didn’t come out that way.

And FWIW, I agree with Samarz that Lane Johnson probably goes in the first. LOTs always shoot up the boards, regardless of whether they deserve it or not. I only put in anything about Justin Pugh because it was there, not because I see him as a top prospect or anything. And lastly, Dallas Thomas measured in with really short arms (I posted the numbers yesterday) so he may have to move inside.

2.  Nosh.0 says:

In regards to the last articles question on Dominick Hixon. Should we keep him? Yes. Most definitely.

It was clear Hixon was a step or 2 slow for most of the year coming off back to back ACL injuries. But late in the year, particularly the Eagles JV game, he looked like he had his burst finally back.

The guy is a great depth/pinch hitter type, that will make the occasional big play. I assume he won’t cost a lot either. Def a keeper.

3.  Nosh.0 says:

Snee confirms what we’ve been seeing on the field. (apologies if this was posted last week, I assume it was)

“That being said, I’m getting older. And you can’t do the same things you could four or five years ago. If you’re looking for the same player I was when I was 26, you’re not going to find anyone who — I’m 31 — can do what they could do when they were 26. Do I still think of myself as one of the top guards? Yes, I do.”

Snee said he’s “year-to-year” at this point.

“That’s all you can focus on. I sat down with my wife after this year and decided if I wanted to do it again,” he said. “It’s a grind. There’s a lot that goes into it mentally and physically, but I couldn’t see myself walking away just yet.”

•  shmitty013 says:

I honestly hated hearing him say that. Wow that was some alliteration, albeit unintentional. But anyway, it just means he isn’t fully invested in the game anymore. You have to doubt his motivation and desire and that pretty much fits with the level of play we watched from this team all year. They just seemed uninspired and content. Snee saying this pretty much proves that to be the case. You want guys that love the game so much that it’s hard for them to walk away from it when age forces them to do so. This team doesn’t have many of those guys.

4.  Samardzija says:

Weres Desmond Trufant projected to go? Havent watched him since he was a freshman, but I remember liking him. Looks good so far imo

•  BigBlueGiant says:

Head anywhere from late first to early 3rd.

Depends on pro day, combine… Etc. But im thinking his stock climbs to mid-second.

He’s a baller.

5.  Samardzija says:

Ansah is looking really unimpressive out there. Datone Jones has been the star of the show today at DE, looked good yesterday too. Need to get my hands on some UCL games.

6.  Samardzija says:

Also, not going to continue on with the bickering up top lol so Ill just post here. I really like Pugh. As a Guard. I thinks hes going to be a very good interior lineman. Sorta reminds me of Andy Levitre coming out

The biggest worry with Manti Te’o is that JPP would dunk his crazy a$$ in the cold tub so many times he’d probably drown or freeze to death.

8.  BBWC says:

If we go LB in the first round, I like ILB Alec Ogletree. I think he’s a better fit than Te’o. Ogletree was a former #1 FS, also played SS. Ogletree possesses a long frame and great speed for an inside linebacker. He should have no troubles playing on all three downs as he excels both in coverage and of course, against the run. Can cover the whole field, sideline to sideline.

Watch him stuff Lacy at the goal line. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=24FvP-tyyTs

9.  shmitty013 says:

Daniel Jeremiah ?@MoveTheSticks
    Oklahoma OT Lane Johnson hasn’t disappointed this week. 2 impressive practices, taking snaps at both LT and RT.

10.  BigBlueGiant says:

Smard- Ansah will be unimpressive. the kid is really raw. people are basing him off his talent, speed and size