New York Giants Open with 20-1 Super Bowl XLVIII Odds

January 21st, 2013 at 6:40 PM
By Paul Tierney

'Eli Manning' photo (c) 2012, Mike Morbeck - license: http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/2.0/ For the New York Giants, the 2013 offseason is still in it's infancy. Free agency has yet to begin, the NFL draft is still three months away and the front office still has decisions to make regarding several veterans on the roster. In fact, the official start of the offseason is still two weeks away, after the conclusion of Super Bowl XLVII. However, for some, it's still not too early to begin looking forward to the 2013 season. Today, the Giants opened up with 20-1 odds to win Super Bowl XLVIII, which tied them with the Baltimore Ravens for the 10th best odds.

The New England Patriots led the pack with 6-1 odds, followed by the San Francisco 49ers and Denver Broncos at 8-1. The Giants had the best odds of any team in the NFC East, as the Dallas Cowboys and Washington Redskins each came in at 30-1 and the Philadelphia Eagles open at 50-1.

Obviously, these odds are incredibly premature. We still have no idea how most teams around the league are going to look next season. In particular, the Giants are expected to see significant changes to the roster between now and the beginning of next training camp. Due to salary cap restrictions, Big Blue is going to have trouble resigning several of their key free agents this offseason.

More than anything, these odds are just a testament to the non-stop nature of the NFL. The 2012 season has not yet concluded, yet pundits have already placed odds on every teams title hopes for 2013. In reality, these odds are not going to be indicative of a team's actual title chances heading into next season. There are still too many coaching and player personnel choices to be made. Furthermore, there will undoubtedly be injuries sustained in the preseason by players around the league that will have a significant impact on the 2013 season.

The Giants have a lot of questions to answer this offseason before we can put definitive odds on their 2013 title chances. In fact, it doesn't really matter what Vegas says their chances are. If the front office makes wise decisions regarding player personnel, this team will have a chance. In today's NFL, that's about all you can ask for.

Tags: Baltimore, Baltimore Ravens, Dallas Cowboys, Denver Broncos, Football, free agent, New England, New England Patriots, New York, New York Giants, NFC East, NFL, Super Bowl, Super Bowl XLVI, Washington Redskins

27 Responses to “New York Giants Open with 20-1 Super Bowl XLVIII Odds”

It opened at 15-1 … but went to 20-1 when it was announed that Fewell was extended..

2.  shmitty013 says:

Rob Rang ?@RobRang
    Short arms likely to push Kent State’s Brian Winters (32″), Tennessee’s Dallas Thomas (32″) & Syracuse’s Justin Pugh (31.5″) to OG in NFL.

3.  Dirt says:

An absolute dream scenario would be to have the Giants win it all at home.

In the snow, with a last-15-seconds pass from Eli to Hakeem to win by 3. Hey, a guy can dream, right?

Reese has nine picks. Maybe he should spend two on corners, two on defensive tackles, three on offensive linemen, one on a linebacker and one on a strong-legged placekicker and supplement with a few free agents and a lot of signing of UDFAs?

Okay, not gonna happen, but it would be interesting.

Give me Xavier Rhodes (19), Lane Johnson (trade up to get him around pick #40-45), and the best remaining defensive tackle or potential impact linebacker (3rd pick, at whatever position we’re in) as my first three picks. After that, another offensive lineman, a receiver, another defensive tackle and I don’t care what’s left. I assume we’d have only 6-7 picks after trading up to get Johnson.

•  Begiant says:

I think we would like Jonathon Banks more. I would be fine with either as they are both big talented corners but from what I have read, Banks is more athletic and more of a ball hawk.

6.  rlhjr says:

Bottom line; Each line needs retooling. Two linebackers are needed. And a potential starting corner is required. Most of this should be solved via the draft. This years and next years draft.
    That puts the team back on the five year schedule for a Superbowl appearance.
    The money/talent situation won’t allow for much else. What’s more important Mr. Mara will be fine with that.

7.  Begiant says:

A dream scenario for me would be Banks or Rhodes in the first, followed by a Olinemen in the second (Lane Johnson, Fluker, or Long would all be nice), then if we could follow that up with a Dtackle or linebacker and go BPA from there I would be thrilled. Maybe a RB like Lattimore if he is available in the fourth would be nice. I definitely want this draft to focus on the defense. We gave up way to many yards and will need extremely talented players to succeed in Fewells scheme and to compete against the other NFC East teams.

In FA I would not mind adding a veteran corner coming off a bad year or one that is not going to command a huge salary. Maybe a guy like Captain Munnerlyn could provide some depth and competition in camp to replace Coe. Then maybe a rotational Dtackle or two to compete with Kuhn and Austin for snaps. I would not mind looking at Micheal Bennett but only for a cheap price. He seems to be a talented player but not good enough to be the guy. He could benefit from having Tuck and JPP on the otherside of him. He may accept a discount to play with his brother but I guess we would have to sign him first (we should) LOL that is a longshot and I really don’t care if it happens. just spitballing at this point.

8.  Begiant says:

Mario Manningham has a respectable season before it was cut short. He had more receptions than last year on less targets. Also had career highs in rushing yards.

9.  shmitty013 says:

Daniel Jeremiah ?@MoveTheSticks
    This draft might lack star power at the top but the depth is outstanding. Great year to stockpile 3rd/4th round picks. Ton of NFL starters

•  G-MenFan says:

Your name reminds me of a hilarious Christmas card I received.

Santa, on his sleigh, on a very small outhouse rooftop with his reindeer:

“NO, NO, I said “to the Schmidt house!!”.

•  shmitty013 says:

That’s pretty good. My last name is actually Smith, but I made shmitty my email address and AIM screen name when I was like 8. Only later did my parents tell me shmitty was a nickname for the last name Schmidt and Smitty was for Smith. But by then, it was too late so I just kept it as is.

10.  G-MenFan says:

“Never tell me the odds!!”