January 21st, 2013 at 11:15 AM

A little over a week ago, New York Giants Director of College Scouting, Marc Ross, interviewed with the New York Jets for their vacant General Manager position. After the sit down, Ross told Gang Green "thanks, but no thanks" and withdrew his name from consideration. Now, Giants linebackers coach Jim Herrmann is taking the same approach, and following an interview with the Philadelphia Eagles for their vacant defensive coordinator position, has turned the team down.

Now that he has officially withdrawn his name from potential consideration, Tom Rock of Newsday reports that Herrmann will, in fact, remain with the Giants as their linebackers coach in 2013.

Herrmann will now enter his fifth season with the Giants as their linebackers coach after spending three years with the Jets in the same capacity.

Prior to entering the NFL in 2006, Herrmann spent 20 years coaching at Michigan, including the final nine years as their defensive coordinator.

Tags: Football, Jim Herrmann, New York, New York Giants, NFL, Philadelphia, Philadelphia Eagles

16 Responses to “Jim Herrmann Withdraws Name from Eagles’ DC Search; Will Remain with New York Giants”

1.  rlhjr says:

Was hoping he would leave. Based on the remainder of the news
    the Giants will have build via good drafts. Two year rebuild semi on the fly.
    Get ready for it.

2.  Dirt says:

Dan,

I think it’s absolutely classy that you write about every single Giant who passes, no matter how famous or obscure. They’re all family, part of the greatest football family on the planet.

3.  Kevros says:

Repost:

Kevros says:
    January 21, 2013 at 11:09 AM
    The new CBA:

Starting on page 92 Valuation of Player Contracts, it talks about what pieces count against the cap and when. It’s pretty confounded legal talk, but it seems pretty similar to the old CBA when it comes to calculating cap hits…

Kevros says:
    January 21, 2013 at 11:32 AM
    I calculated a rough estimate of what the team would save by cutting the three players FF55 mentioned above. The numbers are based on Rotoworld’s contract details which are a simplified since nobody (outside of the Giants organization) really knows all of the working parts of a player’s contract.

Cutting Canty would save $920k.
    Cutting Webster would save $3.67m.
    Cutting Boley would save $2.05m.

So, obviously, cutting Canty makes absolutely no sense. Can we all agree on that?

Webster is a tougher choice. Restructure would seem in order.

As I’ve said, the depth behind Boley allows Reese to consider cutting him, but for a savings of only $2.05MM I would certainly not. I think he’s still our best linebacker. I like Rivers, but before I’d sign him again at something like $1.25MM I’d probably allocate that money to keeping Boley. he has been quite productive whereas Rivers is still largely “potential”.

I wonder if Herrmann not taking the Eagles’ bait is a bet that, one way or the other, Fewell is gone in 2014?

•  BlueSince60 says:

One can only hope.

But I also recall that the Giants prevented Peter Giunta from interviewing for a Defensive Coordinator position a year or so back. I don’t remember the team, though. That makes me kind of doubt that there’s an ‘heir apparent” strategy in place with Herrmann. More than likely, it just wasn’t a good fit.

5.  Valid says:

Random, but do you guys think Brady’s “kick” on Ed Reed last night was intentional? It’s hard to tell if Brady was purposely trying to kick Reed or if he was just trying to protect himself and just made a natural reaction.

6.  shmitty013 says:

Matt Miller ?@nfldraftscout
    From a physical standpoint, loved how Lane Johnson looked. Had one NY Giants scout tell me, “that’s my left tackle.”

- That might tell us something about what they’re going to do with Beatty, although I hope not.

Maybe, but it may also be a comment on Johnson. Since I see a number of Kansas State games (my wife is from Manhattan, Kansas, went to KSU for zero cost, and still occasionally is interested in how they’re doing) and Big 12 contests I have followed Johnson and he has the potential to be a ridiculously good NFL player.

The guy has, I believe, been a quarterback, a running back, a tight end, and a left tackle. He is actually pretty quick for a guy with his size (I think he’s over 300 pounds but has ZERO gut and looks like an athlete). He hits people like a ton of bricks and is already a far better run-blocker than Beatty. He has to mature but I would LOVE if the Giants got him because I think he could play his rookie season, at the very least at right tackle.

7.  shmitty013 says:

In other news, DJ Fluker is HUGE.

Daniel Jeremiah ?@MoveTheSticks
    DJ Fluker was the most impressive prospect at SR Bowl weigh-ins. 6047 (6’4 7/8) 355 with 36 3/8 inch arms. Not sloppy, just massive!