January 19th, 2013 at 4:53 PM
By Paul Tierney

New York Giants linebacker coach Jim Herrmann has interviewed for the for the Philadelphia Eagles defensive coordinator position. Herrmann has been on Big Blue's staff for the past four seasons. Prior to his arrival to the Giants, Herrmann also served the same role for the New York Jets for three season. Furthermore, he coached his alma mater Michigan Wolverines for 20 seasons, nine of which were as the defensive coordinator.

The Giants linebackers were not exactly stellar in 2012. There was no presence in the middle, and several individuals had serious issues in pass coverage. However, it's very possible that Big Blue's shortcomings regarding their linebackers was due to lack of talent rather than coaching. Regardless, Herrmann has established a reputation that has allowed him to coach major college and professional football for nearly three decades.

Having Herrmann move to another NFC East team would be potentially harmful to the Giants game plan next season. Hermann knows Perry Fewell's system like the back of his hand; he knows the personnel, the signals and the whole nine-yards. The Giants would have dealt with this before, as they played against Tampa Bay Buccaneers offensive coordinator Mike Sullivan and defensive coordinator Bill Sheridan this season. Evidently, neither were able to impact the game. However, If Herrmann gets the job, a large factor in the decision would be to acquire his intimate knowledge of the Giants scheme and personnel.

After the departure of Andy Reid, the Eagles are currently in the process of rebuilding their coaching staff. The team's previous defensive coordinator, Todd Bowles took over for Juan Castillo in the middle of last season. Despite the hope that Bowles would be able to get the defense to play to its potential, the unit performed even worse. If Herrmann is hired as the defensive coordinator in Philly, he has a significant mess to clean up before the start of the 2013 season.

Tags: Andy Reid, Bill Sheridan, Football, Mike Sullivan, New York, New York Giants, New York Jets, NFC, NFC East, NFL, Perry Fewell, Philadelphia, Philadelphia Eagles, Tampa Bay, Tampa Bay Buccaneers

21 Responses to “New York Giants LB Coach Jim Herrmann Interviews for Eagles Defensive Coordinator Position”

1.  sonnymooks says:

Not sure if this is a bad thing, the Giants could use a change, and if this puts Perry Fewell in a position, where he had to make adjustments to his scheme and everything else, maybe thats a good thing, that said, the LB corps couldn’t get a whole lot worse, and they could stand to get some new and improved blood there (i.e. upgrade the talent).

The real downside is, the Giants would probably just promote someone else from within, instead of going out and getting themselves a better LB coach.

•  GmenMania says:

Agree with the first part. I don’t know that Herrmann was such a bad coach; it may just be that the talent was that bad.

2.  GmenMania says:

Interesting that they chose Herrmann, the position coach of probably the weakest position on the team.

Sorry, in no way would their decision be driven by wanting to learn more about Fewell’s scheme. They already know everything they need to know from looking at two years of film.

What they probably like is that he has been a member of a good organization and does have a history as a defensive coordinator for an excellent college program.

My guess is he doesn’t get the job, but I certainly wouldn’t cry if he did. Maybe then they could hire that new blood, although Fewell will probably protect himself by grabbing someone who fully believes in his system.

I think this is a minor issue. Give us a stud MIKE and I don’t care who the damned position coach turns out to be.

4.  LUZZ says:

Kujo- you may be right, perhaps Te’o would be an instant upgrade over any MIKE we have. First, that is a very low bar, but secondly and more importantly, that isn’t the criteria for a first round pick. The goal of a 1st rounder is to find an impact player and a potential star in the league, Te’o doesn’t have that kind of upside. So while he could probably be a good LB in the league he isn’t first round talent. Too slow and not athletically elite.

•  kujo says:

•  kujo says:

I am not talking about taking him in the 1st round. I’m dispelling the notion that we need to be holding out for some beatific ideal player. Anyone we take in any round is just a prospect. Obviously you want your first pick or two to be as close to sure things as you can find–or a player whose upside is so big that he’s worth the risk (eg- JPP). But the idea that we have this specific and concrete preconceived notion of what a middle linebacker is, against which we evaluate other prospects as being “what we need” or not is stupid. It’s like a starving person turning down a hot dog because they’re vegan. Makes no sense.

5.  LUZZ says:

Half the teams are successful at finding these type of impact players and half aren’t. JR is good at it and he will find a much better athlete with more upside for us than Te’o.

•  kujo says:

When? He’s not done it in the 6 drafts he’s been at the helm for. Maybe number 7 will be lucky, but I see no reason why that same old approach would give us anything but the 2013 equivalent of Jon Goff, Bryan Kehl or Phillip Dillard.

I really don’t care about whether Te’o has imaginary friends or not. He could be a 9th degree wizard … and shooting fireballs out his a$$. Whatever.

I only care if he can play.

Umm, quick movie reviews:

Broken City: Better than expected and great cinematography. A few weak scenes but pretty good noir thriller.

Zero Dark Thirty: Unbelievably disappointing. Just got out and agree that she doesn’t deserve an Oscar nomination.

Lincoln: I liked it but caught three people around me snoring.

Argo: How Affleck wasn’t nominated is beyond me. Great movie. Great pace. Great directing. This guy must have lots of enemies in the biz.

•  kujo says:

Zero Dark Thirty was fantastic, but I’ll admit that it’s certainly not for mass consumption. I’ve read the different accounts of the raid, so it was interesting to see some facsimile of it on the big screen.

Lincoln may not have been Spielberg’s best, but it was certainly Daniel Day Lewis’ magnum opus (which is saying something, considering he is the best actor of his generation).

Argo was the best movie I saw this year. And I have spent several years doing deep, deep academic studies on the origins and fall out of this seminal event in 20th century U.S. foreign policy. I may not be fond of Affleck’s politics, but he nailed the geopolitical circumstances in this movie, and did so in an entertaining way that ZDT didn’t.

•  G-MenFan says:

Thanks for this post. I always take a pass on Hollywood’s version of political events for obvious reasons I won’t get into; especially if it’s an Oliver Stone movie. However, reviews like yours make me curious and I’ll consider seeing these.

Hate this idea but think it will be a Harbaugh Super Bowl. Provided weather predictions are accurate for Foxboro. If the game is played in fierce winds I like the Ravens chances to pull a big upset because of Leach and Rice and the absence of Gronk.

Don’t see Atlanta beating the Niners because they cannot compete with them in the trenches.

The Harbaughs are positive proof that there is no divine plan.

10.  G-MenFan says:

This will be the very first time I’ve rooted for the Patriots. I’ve hated them since the “tuck rule” game they were handed. I couldn’t even root for them to beat the Eagles in the SB, but I hate the Eagles even more, so that remains the only Super Bowl to which I accepted a party invitation and I just drank, flirted, and stared at boobs throughout the entire game.