January 18th, 2013 at 9:00 AM

After a bizarre back-and-forth between the Philadelphia Eagles and Oregon Ducks head coach Chip Kelly, the two sides have finally agreed on a deal that will lure the long-time NCAA coach to the NFL. Along with Kelly comes a fast-paced, gimmick-style offense that has had very little success at the pro level over the last decade or two. However, New York Giants linebacker Spencer Paysinger, who played his college ball under Kelly, says his coaching style introduces a level of danger to the NFC East.

"He has an exciting game plan," Paysinger told Giants.com. "It's always fun to watch. If he gets the right players, he'll be dangerous and unfortunately he's in our division, so I have to get ready for him."

Paysinger recalls how incredibly high-powered the Oregon offense was, claiming the only defense that could stop them was their own. It was a luxury provided to them during many in-house scrimmages and familiarity with the scheme. Outside of that intimate knowledge, Paysinger says shutting them down was impossible.

“Our defense, when I was at Oregon, we were the only team that shut them down. We knew how to shut them down,” said Paysinger. “Playing with that offense was amazing. It was tiring because they’d score in one minute and give up the ball and the defense was still trying to catch their breath. So that just added to the cardio of the game. He has an exciting game plan. It’s always fun to watch. If he gets the right players, he’ll be dangerous and unfortunately he’s in our division, so I have to get ready for him.”

How that offense translates to the NFL remains to be seen, but already in Washington we've seen drastic changes to the way an offense can function with the Redskins using the pistol formation to near perfection. But the NFL is home of the big boys, and gimmick offenses generally have a short shelf-life. It doesn't take long for the league to catch up, and with Kelly's grand total of zero NFL experience, there's a strong chance he may overlook that.

Whatever the case may be, the Giants will now face three drastically difference offenses in the NFL East.

Tags: Chip Kelly, Football, New York, New York Giants, NFC East, NFL, Philadelphia, Philadelphia Eagles, Spencer Paysinger

32 Responses to “New York Giants’ Spencer Paysinger on Chip Kelly’s Airrval in NFC East: “He’s Dangerous””

In the end, I believe the read-option schemes will become less important than the “speed offense” that Kelly is going to bring to the NFC East and that the Patriots may ride to a championship this season (along with an improved defense and the absence of the New York Football Giants in the playoffs).

Defenses WILL have to change. More speed. Very fit players. Players who can remain in the game for an entire series rather than be substituted in and out depending upon down-and-distance. Different types of rotations. Different athletic attributes for outside linebackers and safeties (who may start to look not that dissimilar over time with a lot of outside linebackers perhaps only outweighing safeties by 10-20 pounds). Every defense will need a pair of spies who can rotate in by series and can prevent quarterbacks from shredding defenses when they leave the pocket and run against man coverage where the defensive backs and linebackers have their backs to the passer.

You can bury your head in the sand and hope it all goes away, but these different offenses are probably here to stay in many respects even if they start to significantly reduce the number of times the option quarterbacks will be exposed to injuries. It will be the THREAT of guys like Cam Newton and Colin Kaepernick (who is no small dude himself) running that option that will cause problems every bit as much as the plays, themselves, will cause breakdowns. Big, mobile, QBs like those two would only have to run the ball out of that option 2-3 times per game to make defenses account for it. And the mobile QBs, including Wilson, RGIII, and a host of others who will be coming out of college over the next decade, will be able to kill defenses simply by running out of the pocket with more speed than the league is used to IF the defenses do not adjust schemes, and bring in the right kind of personnel.

I’ll say it right now. IF the Giants had made it this far in the playoffs this season and then made it to the Super Bowl and faced the Patriots (I’m not sure they won’t get beaten on Sunday but they could well win) they’d have lost. Their defensive schemes depend way too much on situational substitution than would work against that speed offense. Our defensive front was dragging late in games against ordinary offenses this season. Imagine how they’d do against a great offense that was running 80-85 plays per game. It could be very ugly, as in 500-yards given up and 35+ points ugly. Hopefully, Tom Coughlin isn’t sitting there thinking, as some of you are, that these are “gimmick” offenses that will fade away like others have over the years. I think we’re seeing a sea change in the league, if only because the nature of NCAA football is changing and the talent that bubbles up to the NFL is different from what it used to be. We may not see lots of QB running plays that expose those franchise players unnecessarily, but we are going to see more and more mobile quarterbacks who use the running threat to allow them much easier throws and play options over the course of a game and season. That’s a tide that is coming, like it or not.

I meant to add, the above is why I think Paysinger and Williams should have great futures in the NFL. They fit the new needs. I think both may play big roles on the Giants over the next few years.

•  JimStoll says:

u know coughlin is doing just that: sitting there thinking “its 1998, its 1998

coughlin is a stick in the mud who has succeeded in NY on 2 lucky magical runs
        don’t expect he or gilbride or fewell to change one little bit

embrace the horror

2.  Nosh.0 says:

55-
    Wonder what your thoughts are on Perry Fewell?

I personally think he’s terrible. At best he’s replaceable. I understand that Gilbride leaving would cause a huge adjustment for the offense as they are so familiar with his offense.

But I can’t imagine the Defense going through that much of an adjustment period if Fewell leaves. I mean it’s his 3rd year and the back 7, d backs especially, are still confused.

The more I think about this past season the more I think that he can be replaced. But we all know thats TC’s weakness, loyalty to bum coordinators.

•  Nosh.0 says:

I think really it was watching him continue to play the same D throughout games, rush 4, sit back in a zone, even though the D was completely ineffective.

No pressure and D Backs out of position and he continues to run the same bland Defense over and over. Personally I’d prefer a 4-3 guy that’s more aggressive.

I don’t see the harm in canning fewell and bringing spags back for 2013. Really what does our defense have to lose?

•  Nosh.0 says:

The one saving grace is that points allowed we ranked in the top half of the league. Yardage however was atrocious.

I think Fewell is second-rate. I think he’d be incredibly easy to replace. Whereas I have come, somewhat reluctantly, to respect Gilbride, I do not think Fewell was even the prime mover in the defensive “jump” over the last six games of the 2011 season. That happened only after a near-rebellion by the players and a quick move to change the secondary play to a less-passive approach.

I absolutely “get” that this is a bend-don’t-break-turn-the-ball-over approach, and that the Giants DID create a lot of turnovers this season. But I don’t think this scheme is a good one in the long run and I think it not only causes defensive breakdowns on a regular basis but also allows rapid-fire, quick QB release, offenses to kill us. I see no real in-game adjustments (albeit nothing so absurd as the Green Bay defense’s refusal to adjust when they were getting destroyed by Kaepernick by his running wild against man coverage whenever the Niners sent a second tight end out in the pattern….that may have been the worst in-game defensive coaching effort I’ve ever seen).

I was really hoping the horrid performance this season would result in his firing. Fat chance. TC has a history of bad hires for his defensive coordinators and loyalty to those bums. Fewell is just the latest in a relatively long line.

3.  JimStoll says:

apropos of nothing other than that it is so funny it is true, look at this link on Lance Armstrong:

I think the pistol offense is here to stay and will be a staple of the NFL for a long time. But don’t confuse the pistol with the read option. All the pistol really is just a modified shotgun snap. By being closer to the line of scrimage the RB now can run down hill instead of side to side like when in the shotgun. The Nevada coach created it with a non running QB. But then when he had Kapernick the read option stuff really exploded.

Kujo -

As far as the young movement my point is more when in doubt go with youth. For example I would replace Diehl, Boley, Blackburn and Bradshaw because I think we can get similar production form those here, that we can draft of even a young vet free agent. But I don’t agree with cutting Tuck, Webster or agree any talk of cutting Tuck is crazy unless it’s to keep Osi. We can’t lose both. My thought is not to rebuild but we need to have our JAG players be youthful if they are not starters.

•  kujo says:

See, I understand you’re point, I just disagree with it. If Brewer looks like a lost teddy bear in practice, I have no desire to throw him out there against Demarcus Ware and Ryan Kerrigan. I just don’t. Was Diehl hot garbage this year (and for the last several years)? Yes. But if he’s the shiniest turd in the toilet, that’s what has to be out there.

Boley was an animal in 2011, and has generally been our most consistently good linebacker. That’s more of an indictment of our other linebackers than anything, but still–Boley, like Webster Canty, makes an awful lot of money and the can’t have another year like 2012. That’s close to 30% of our starting defense that didn’t perform up to snuff, not to mention Tuck, Osi, JPP and Linval. Add it all up and you realize that NONE on defense had a good year. If good players play like crap, you’re gonna lose.

Where I disagree is that young players improve. So yes you might be playing a worse player in September because they can be a better player be December. Basically, the Wilson or Randle arguments for playing time earlier this year. But at least Hixon and Bradshaw weren’t vets on their downside in 2012. I think Diehl and Boley clearly are while Bradshaw might be.

Boley could be better in 2013 than 2012 but I think at his age a player that has depended on his athleticism, is at least begining to lose a step. Plus I do like Paysinger and Williams though neither has proven they can take over. It’s a gamble I admit but I think one we have to make in certain areas. Another area could be kicker.

We need better years from our starting CB and DT whether that be Webster and Canty returning or signing a younger free agent replacement.

•  kujo says:

Young players do improve, so when Wilson and Randle looked great in December, you could probably thank Coughlin’s coaching methods in September, October and November for that.

6.  demo3356 says:

The winner of Sundays NFC Championship game will be the 11th different NFC team to go to the Superbowl in the last 12 years with the New York Football Giants being the ONLY team to go twice in that span.. Oh yeah if you make it 13 years than it is 11 different teams going once and the New York Football Giants going 3 TIMES.. yup it is a parity driven league for sure and Tom Coughlin is just a lousy coach that has gotten “Luky” twice…

7.  kujo says:

Let me restate my position on the read-option: I think its usage as the central philosophy of an offense will absolutely go away, just like the wild-cat or the option. Where I was inarticulate in my statement is by suggesting that I believe that it will disappear altogether; I think the NFL has been moving towards these quicker, more downfield styles of offense for most of the last 2 decades. Although not every team is equal in its deployment of this philosophy, it appears that even the older franchises, like ourselves and the Steelers and Patriots and the Packers, are moving headlong into this new style of football, abandoning the “ground and pound” era altogether.

With the read-option, you’re seeing an re-elevation of the importance of the running back, with guys like Alfred Morris and Marshawn Lynch having absurd seasons next to quarterbacks who can also move that ball. That puts 2 playmakers in the backfield, who won’t even decide what they’re doing until the defenses are 2, 3 or 4 steps into their zones or coverage schemes. The smarter QBs will be able to pick apart these lazy defenses (i.e.- The 2012 New York Giants); however, it is my contention that, over time, the “book will be out” on this style of play. I mean, college defenses shut it down, and the NFL will also adapt.

What I didn’t say is that I believe traces of this style will remain longer than the scheme itself. I sincerely hope Coughlin calls Fewell in, straps him down Clockwork Orange style, and forces him to watch all of the long drives and big plays (the “bending and breaking”) his scheme caused. Fewell’s gotta go, but if he can be even moderately better, and we bring in some interior support on the defensive line, and some new blood in the back 7, we’ll be well on our way.

•  JimStoll says:

although I like to use hyperbole to beat coughlin and his staff about the head, the one point on which i think we can all agree is that each coach has a philosophy. they rarely change their coaching philosophies. what changes is the players they have to work with,
      by all reports, coughlin gives gilbride and fewell complete autonomy in implementing their coaching philosophies for their respective units.
      coughlin has already said fewel is going nowhere.
      the thought that coughlin is going to tell fewel to change his coaching philsophy is a pipe dream
      now, maybe we are healthier next year; maybe we acquire a player or 2 that is a significant upgrade, and maybe the offense performs so much better that it doesn’t matter what the defense does
      but thinking that fewel is going to change his stripes or that coughlin is going to make him do so is fantasy

•  kujo says:

Hey, the Cover 2 can be successful. The Bears have had a top notch defense for 10-12 years! You just gotta add the right players. The problem, as I see it, is that there’s a schism between Fewell’s philosophy and Reese’s draft evaluation. How it is that we don’t place a higher premium on linebackers, when they are asked to do so much in this scheme, has always baffled me.

•  BigBlueGiant says:

THIS.

Teams adjust, and adapt. Create new schemes to counter the offense.

I think the read option has a chance to be around for a while because for the large part QBs are on the edges and a way from heavy hitting. If your QB is smart then they can largerly avoid contact. Of course it’s risky but it has some real advantages especially to QBs that have half a good feel for avoiding contact like Russell Wilson.

9.  BigBlueGiant says:

I for one thinks this is a terrible hire for the Eagles.

Oregon’s QB Mariota was able to run the offense efficiently because he’s fast and could run the ball. Foles is not that guy. Which we all know that it exposes the QB to injury at the next level. It’s not IF, it’s when with all these gimmicky offenses.
    Then there’s Vick running it but the eagles will be dumping Vick bc he’s owed 18 million if they keep him on the roster.

one game in particular this year that Chip Kelly was severely outcoached was the game Vs. Stanford. Who runs the closest thing to an NFL offense.

•  kujo says:

I think the Eagles are in full-on rebuild mode. They’ll be drafting a QB high, perhaps even trading players in order to gain picks. I think Chip is gonna flush that Philly toilet and build the team up the way he wants it.

•  BigBlueGiant says:

Eagles best bet if that can’t land that OT from Texas A&M which they probably won’t is to trade back.

This draft is REALLY thin at the top. There are no QB’s really worthy of a top 5 selection IMO. Yeah, Geno Smith…Whatever, but I think we’re gonna see him slip out of the top 5.

It sounds cliche, but i think the Giants are drafting a DE. iF Ezikial Ansah is still around at 19, that’s our guy. Bet that one. But his stock has been climbing as of late and after the combine im sure it will even more.

Hey, just think how Vontaze Burfict would have helped out LB’ing core this year if we took a shot at him in the 6th or 7th round instead of Matt McCants ( THIS WAS A JOKE DEMO).

•  kujo says:

You shouldn’t hide behind humor–you were dead on correct about him. Beat the snot out of Demo for it because you KNOW he’d do the same to you.

•  BigBlueGiant says:

Demo knows that Burfict was gonna be a very good player in the league. He breaks my balls BC I jokingly said something about us blowing the season to draft him early in the 1st.

That said, Vontaze had the last laugh, and i’m sure Mike Mayock won’t want to bump into Mr. Burfict anytime soon for costing him tons of money in the draft. Almost killed the kids career.

Chip Kelly says he doesn’t need a mobile quarterback

I think too many put coaches in a box. Some are fixed on a system but others really to adjust. Look at Mccoy who just got the Charger job going from a Tebow offense to a Peyton offense and maximizing the talent with both. So don’t just put Kelly in that box until we see what he has first. Especially, when he seems to have the right mindset.

•  BigBlueGiant says:

So he says.

Unless he has an entirely different offense that he plans on running in the NFL which could be possible, but his offense he ran at Oregon relied on a a mobile QB.