New York Giants’ Rueben Randle Plans to Return “Faster, Stronger” in 2013

January 16th, 2013 at 10:30 AM

New York Giants rookie wide receiver Rueben Randle didn't get a whole lot of playing time in his first NFL season, but when he did, he showed flashes of brilliance; talent that made him befitting of the Giants' second-round pick. And as he looks ahead to the offseason, his goal is a simple one: improve and come back more well-rounded in 2013.

"Just continue to get better and stay healthy," Randle told Giants.com of his offseason plans. "Come back faster, stronger, and just be ready to go out and compete for next year."

Randle was targeted 39 times this past season, hauling in 19 receptions for 298 yards and three touchdowns. His best game came in the season finale against the Philadelphia Eagles when he caught four passes for 58 yards and two touchdowns. But they weren't your everyday, garden variety touchdowns. On each he showcased extreme athletic ability and determination. It was an impressive sign of things to come.

"I was just going up making a play on the ball and on the way down I was twisting and reached into the end zone," Randle said of his final touchdown of the season. "It was something that just happened naturally. I really didn’t know where I was on the field. I was just trying to get the extra yard."

The youngster out of LSU also flashed in week five of the season when he caught six passes for 82 yards against the Cleveland Browns.

Between Randle and running back David Wilson, the Giants have two very impressive young talents at their disposal moving forward.

Photo Credit: Mike Gannon

Tags: David Wilson, Football, LSU, New York, New York Giants, NFL, Philadelphia, Philadelphia Eagles, Rueben Randle

32 Responses to “New York Giants’ Rueben Randle Plans to Return “Faster, Stronger” in 2013”

1.  kujo says:

19. New York Giants: Sam Montgomery, DE, LSU: I think the Giants need to think offensive line here, too, but they don’t, and when you’re projecting the draft it’s never a bad idea to project a pass rusher to the Giants in the first round. That’s where they think the first-round value is, and they have some track record to back it up.

demo … for sure DE is not our top need or our worst area … but if you look at the roster … ‘JPP, Kiwi, Tuck? Ojomo, Tracey, Tratou, Broha’ … only JPP is solid. We don’t know what they plan to do with Kiwi … Tracey and Ojomo are good prospects, but have yet to really play … same for Trat and Broha … and Tuck is always one existential crisis away from a mountain top in Tibet. If we lose Osi, which seems almost certain, then I think we could be thin.

•  kujo says:

Agreed totally.

I’ve read several people on here suggest that it would be my dream come true for the Giants to draft an OL in the 1st round. Yeah, perhaps in years past, that would be true. But this year, it’s all about the DL. Whether it’s a monster NT or an excellent pass rushing DE, we need an infusion of talent in the bread and butter of our defense, indeed, our team as a whole. This year showed that when our front four is unable to generate pressure on the quarterback–or acquit itself reasonably against the run– the whole team grinds to a stop.

•  kujo says:

I should add that I loathe the fact that the final sentence of the above post is as inevitable as it is totally correctable. We all know that Fewell could dial up timely and creative blitzes to ameliorate this mathematical deficiency. Nevertheless, if the queen had nads, she’d be the king, and Fewell ain’t no king. Reality dictates that he’s likely not to adjust his scheme, and so we must make it work.

Given our past a DE is certainly in the mix. But I think we have more holes than we have in a few years, some due too all of our free agents. Our go to positions have been DE, DT, CB and WR. I think DT and CB are huge needs if we are going to go in that direction. LB could be much like RB last year. A devalued position in which we have a need that doesn’t match our previous draft strategy.

OL is certainly possible. But I think if we re-sign Beatty and Boothe plus like Brewer than there’s not a first round type of need. The 2 concerns would be Bass and Snee but those are positions we could get very good value in the 2nd-4th rounds even if depth is a big need.

I think the answer to the question what position is more likely to see a new starter OL or MLB is clearly OL. There is no beat gut that I hear saying Diehl is starting in 2013 so I assume someone else will be starting there. While Beatty and Boothe are also free agents so we don’t know wit them for sure. While I agree I rather see a new MLB I wouldn’t count out Blackburn yet because he knows the defense and will be cheap. Those factors give him a chance to return. But I hop there is a new starter there as well.

Actually I think it’s more likey we have 3 new starters than 1. Kiwi I think is almost a given to be moved to DE. He might dable in SLB for some particular looks but I think it’s clear Kiwi is better at DE and now we need him at DE. It also looks like Boley is a top candidate to be cut. So if we replace MLB then we could have 3 new starters. The new WLB would almost for sure be Williams, Paysinger or Rivers (if re-signed). Will the MLB could still be Herzlich and the SLB Herzlich or Rivers.

I think the previous article mentions the most likely solution at least for 2013 and that’s a free agent signing. I think ellerbe and brinkley are the types of guys I would expect if that were the case. If you don’t re-sign Blackburn or Rivers then you can spend that money plus a little more on a AP like solution at MLB. Then we can draft someone that can compete at both SLB and/or be groomed for the MLB in a few years.

From PFT …

“On Tuesday, word broke that Bears wide receiver Brandon Marshall would need arthroscopic hip surgery this offseason.

The report didn’t say that the surgery was imminent, but it turns out that was exactly the case. Marshall had the operation… “minor scope,” done on Tuesday night …Marshall also said he wouldn’t be playing in the Pro Bowl …”

118 grabs, 1508 yards, 11 TDs … he had a great year, and is making sure he does the same in 2013. Team first.

On the hand there’s Chris Snee … who had a lousy year. But he’s putting the surgery off for the Pro Bowl. Brilliant.

•  Dirt says:

No worries. Coughlin will talk to him. Allegedly.

•  kujo says:

Ah yes, Brandon Marshall is well-known for being self sacrificial. That’s why he’s been on 3 different NFL teams–he’s trying to spread all that self-sacrifice and love to as many teams as possible.

Come on, dude. I’ve read your comments in the last few days about Snee and I think they’re out of line.

This continues to piss me off. Obviously, TC countenances it or it wouldn’t happen. I just don’t get it. Very troublesome.

Randle looks like he will give the offense that third wide receiver who was so missed in 2012 because Nicks became a relative non-factor and Cruz could not really make hay on the outside.

This kid obviously has the talent. Is one year in this offense enough to allow him to shine in 2013? I don’t know, but he doesn’t have to be great, just good, and we should expect that in his second season. He’s a natural as an outside receiver so that gets Cruz back in the slot where he cannot be covered and gives Eli three deep threats and three guys who can also go over the middle. IF they sign Bennett (they really should) or Robinson emerges faster than they might have expected, and IF Gilbride finds a way to integrate Wilson into the passing game then having those five plus Eli means the offense is going to be quite potent even if they cannot solve their offensive line issues in one season (a near impossibility).

But if Reese orients himself toward fixing the O-line over the next TWO seasons then this could easily become an unstoppable offense. Assuming continuity of personnel at the skill positions and the maturity of Randle, Robinson, and Wilson by 2014, plus an O-line that is somewhere in the top half of the league (don’t give me the statistics from this season….they were no good regardless of what the stats say), and includes at least one stud who can be run behind consistently, how do you defense that group? You cannot.

Reese needs to keep Nicks, keep Cruz, keep Bennett, draft and acquire some linemen, and wait for a few of the youngsters to mature. That will cure all ills on offense.

Combine the above with bettering the middle of the defense and we’re in business.

The probowl is next week. I don’t think delaying minor surgery is a big deal. I understand all surgery has some risk but a few weeks isn’t much in the grand schem of the offseason. I know fans and some players don’t care about the probowl but some still consider it an honor. And while Snee and Eli don’t deserve it this year there have been years they did and weren’t invited to go. Eli wasn’t a probowler last year for example.

Chip Kelly to Philly

•  Begiant says:

Yep…Maybe they keep Vick or draft Geno now..

•  F0XLIN says:

Even furthers the need for a stud DT to collapse the pocket. As Stanford proved the best way to stop the option offense is pushing the interior line back.

Now we have it 4 times a year

And Romo is pretty shifty too. It’s a bit self-serving, but our success has brought this on. Teams needed to negate the pass rushing front lines … a strategy that’s brought us two Superbowls.

Even if the Giants don’t believe the read-option offense is going to stick around, they have to construct their defense to deal with that.

But not only that. With Kelly in the league joining Belichick as a proponent of this fast-snap-many-options offense, teams will have to look to construct defenses built around players who can stay on the field for entire series and get away from the play-specific substitutions. You can rotate players by series, but not within them most of the time.

•  F0XLIN says:

Part of the reason San Fran has been so successful through the past few years.

This year excluding Justin Smith’s injury 10 out of 11 Defensive players played 90% of the snaps or more

8.  Begiant says:

Is Monte Kiffin retiring or getting fired?
    —————————————–
    Tom Verducci ?@DallasMorningstar_23

Monte Kiffin news conference scheduled at 1PM at Valley Ranch. Whispers are that it’s not good news.

9.  kujo says:

This division has just gotten faster and more explosive. Lets hope our guys respond accordingly

Maybe not. Every college offense doesn’t have an RG3 or a Kaepernick. He’s got Dog Killer … at $15,000,000. That or he rolls the dice in the draft.

I do worry that we’re part of the ‘old guard’ … and that the NFL is evolving is a direction that won’t be the best for us.

Oldest coaching staff in the NFL. Tampa 2 defense. Pocket QB. I hope this is a fad.