New York Giants Safety Stevie Brown Has Some Offseason Plans: “Just Get Better”

January 14th, 2013 at 5:15 PM

New York Giants safety Stevie Brown was quite a surprise in 2012. Seemingly out of nowhere, Brown went from a young journeyman to a cornerstone of Big Blue's secondary thanks in large part to his record-breaking ballhawking and relentless determination to improve his game. It's the same sort of mentality he plans to take into the offseason as he prepares himself for a repeat performance come September.

"Just get better, just get better," Brown told Giants.com about his offseason plans. "I definitely have a lot of things that I have to work on, so I just want to get better at those this offseason."

A Restricted Free Agent (RFA) to be, Brown has prepared himself for a tender and fully expects to remain with the Giants in 2013. Whether or not he enters the season as a starter remains to be seen as the team has to make a decision of Kenny Phillips, who has a long injury history and will soon be an unrestricted free agent.

The 25-year-old Brown finished his first season with the Giants with 77 tackles, 11 passes defended , two forced fumbles, two fumble recoveries and eight interceptions which were returned for a franchise record 307 yards (also ranked 4th in NFL history for a single-season). He was named NFC Defensive Player of the Week twice in 2012, named to the Pro Football Focus All-NFC East Team and received six All Pro votes.

Photo Credit: Mike Gannon

Tags: Football, Kenny Phillips, New York, New York Giants, NFL, Stevie Brown

19 Responses to “New York Giants Safety Stevie Brown Has Some Offseason Plans: “Just Get Better””

1.  G-MenFan says:

Off topic:

While we’re weighing the value of our free agents, here’s a clip of Kevin Boothe highlights:

Repost:

Krow – It’s not about Bradshaw being the biggest problem. I agree he is not our biggest problem at all. My point is that given the postion he playes and the talent behind him cutting him is easier than Webster, Canty or Snee. It’s about replacement value. That’s why cutting those 3 is harder then some think. It’s not that they played great is more that replacing them will be costly because it will most likely require a free agent acquisition. I’m trying view it like I’m JR not from who I like or played well for us last year.

There’s no talent behind him except Wilson. The cult of Andre Brown is based on wishes, not facts. Cut Bradshaw and we’re down to one reliable RB.

Brown showed flashes but he’s not sure thing. The issue is I don’t view Bradshaw as a sure thing either. One of these years he’s not going o be able to fight through. We could draft a RB and sign a cheap vet and be fine. Did you see the quality of RBs GB had in the 2nd round in the playoffs? a PS guys and Grant who had been cut by Washington during the season.

It’s a gamble. Over a relatively small amount of cap.

All of these are gambles. If we cut Webster or Canty that’s a gamble too. The difference is RB has proven to be a spot that’s easily filled by JAG vets or late round draft choices like Bradshaw was himself. I like Bradshaw and if he stays I wouldn’t be upset at all. But if my view looking at it through JR’s eyes given our cap position it’s a move I would make. It sounds crazy to some but I think Boothe would be much harder to replace with a vet minimum player or a later round rookie. And with the money you save from Bradshaw you can keep Boothe plus maybe a player like Carr.

3.  Dirt says:

Stevie Brown, a gift from above. Would have been an unknown, if not for an injury to KP.

A true BID?

Random thought. They only free agent TE that could possibly replace Bennett talent wise is Cook. He doesn’t have much of a rep for being a blocker but he has enough size that maybe he could be coached up. Bennett is still the much better fit for us but I don’t think re-signing him is a sure thing so we have to have some other options.

Tampa Bay is a major player for Bennett IMO because not only do they run the same offense as us so his full array of skills could be used but they also could potentially re-sign his brother. That combo could be tough to beat when they can likely offer more money, maybe quite a bit more. His brother is a free agent so that helps but I think it’s just something we should keep in mind since everyone here wants Bennett back.

Isn’t Cook just a better version of Beckum … who we never used because … wait for it … because he can’t block.

He’s a lot bigger. The fact too many overlook with beckum is he’s 235. Sorry but that doesn’t cut it in the NFL nowdays. Plus his frame couldn’t even add weight. I’m not saying Beckum can’t find a role in the NFL but his size really hurts, megatron is bigger than him. Even light TEs like Keller or Coley are in the 250 range. Cook is listed at 6″5 248 which is on the small side but a more workable frame. If we sign him then the coaches believe they can work with him as a blocker.

Fantasy. He’s 13 pounds heavier than Beckum, and we couldn’t coach him up as a blocker in 4 years. What’s that saying about doing the same thing and expecting different results?

Draft advice from Draftmetrics … a site that analyzes picks by round and position … for what it’s worth.

QB – DRAFT STRATEGY: Despite late-round successes like Tom Brady if a team needs one and a good QB is available early a team has to take him.

RB – DRAFT STRATEGY: Between a rock and a hard place. If a team doesn’t draft one early (and that is somewhat risky) it may as well sign a free agent.

FB – DRAFT STRATEGY: A low value position that can be addressed late.

WR – DRAFT STRATEGY: Take one in the first 100 picks or wait to sign free agents.

TE – DRAFT STRATEGY: With rare exceptions, not valuable enough to take in first half of first round, but start looking in the second round.

C – DRAFT STRATEGY: Unless there is a rare talent available, wait until later in the draft to take one.

OG – DRAFT STRATEGY: Unless there is an excellent player available, wait until later in the draft to take one.

OT – DRAFT STRATEGY: Draft the good ones early but wait until later in the second round if you don’t draft one by draft position 28.

DE – DRAFT STRATEGY: Look for one throughout the draft, especially very early.

DT – DRAFT STRATEGY: Draft early and late but be careful in the middle.

LB – DRAFT STRATEGY: Trade out of the mid 1st round into the second if you’re looking for a linebacker.

CB – DRAFT STRATEGY: If you need one, grab him in the first two rounds.

S – DRAFT STRATEGY: Take early or late, avoid in 3rd and 4th rounds.

interesting. most of it seems spot on but It think they are off on RB. I think RBs are available throughout. If you take one early they must be dynamic. That’s why I think feel better about Wilson than Martin long term. But RBs like Turbin and Pierce were taked in mid rouns while morris in the 6th. I think once every handful of years go early with a RB. But mostly just draft mid rounds and later. Look at Andre Brown and Bradshaw.

6.  Dirt says:

This one is for those who were at opening night against the Cowboys:

I started thinking about how this was one of my least favorite Giants teams of my life this year, solely because of how uninspired and flat they played.

Then I remembered how I looked forward to opening night for 7 months and how the anticipation built higher and higher as the day approached.

Then there was a sign of bad things to come, but no one caught on: some genius decided to pepper the stadium with championship scarves, a la soccer, but here in America, for the championship ceremony. We were fired up to get some free swag, but we should have seen how badly this was going to turn out. (I would later read a buried directive from the Giants to hold the scarves up at a certain point in the festivities, a directive about 75,000 other people missed as well.)

Then we get into the stadium and we’re ready to party. It’s a hundred degrees, I got my scarf, I’m ready to lose it for my squad. And then it happened.

The most lame, flat, boring, uninspired championship celebration ever. Ever. I didn’t know whether to go wild or shake hands with my neighbors like I was at church.

Then the players jogged out. Jogged. And the uninspiring night was on. Followed by an uninspired season.

All as a result of a team tempered in its jubilation and emotion and swag from climbing to the top of the mountain. Intentionally. They were told to build a bridge instead.

Anyone else go to the game that night and feel the same way about the ceremony? (Maybe sans all the connections I made?)

For sure, this wasn’t Strahan popping out of a gigantic Lombardi and firing everyone up and then starting 11-1 in the most dominating fashion this team had seen in about 25 years.

•  Dirt says:

I almost forgot the collective WTF that whispered around the stadium as “Eli Manning’s iPod” played “The Warrior” by Patty Smyth during pregame warmups.

•  wrdag says:

More logs on my fire on my thesis that we suck at home because we dont get the fan base to rock the stadium. Our we “PROTECT THE HOUSE” or HOLD MY SPOT ON LINE FOR THE SUSHI BAR???
        If your going to price out the true rif raf fan base with PSL’s then you cant be shocked when the stadium is a morgue. Of course it might behoove the coaching staff to compensate by playing an aggressive blitzing type of defense that even a guy in a suit n tie will get excited watching.

•  jfunk says:

Yeah, I remember thinking “build the bridge” was a pretty poor effort from Coughlin the moment I heard it. Its not powerful or inspirational and it focuses on the past rather than the future.