Is Bill Cowher Still Waiting for New York Giants Head Coaching Job?

January 14th, 2013 at 8:30 AM

For years, former Pittsburgh Steelers head coach Bill Cowher has been rumored to be interested in the New York Giants head coaching job, and he's made it no real secret he'd like to return to the sidelines someday. In fact, he discussed a possible return as recently as last week; although he didn't pinpoint any desired destination or timetable on a potential comeback.

"It would be a challenge," said Cowher, "but I think that's probably why I would get back into it, because of the challenge. [But] I did it for 27 years. You don't just forget things overnight."

With current head coach Tom Coughlin likely allowed to maintain his job until he decides to retire, Cowher's wait could be a long one if his mind is made up on the Giants. Possibly another five or six years … which, ironically, is right around how long Gerry Dulac of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette expects the former Super Bowl winning coach to wait before he comes out of retirement.

This story is a bit of a dead horse that somehow keeps coming back to life. And no matter how much we beat it (repeatedly) here at Giants 101, it just won't go away. And the fact that there have been no shortage of coaching vacancies since Cowher retired after the 2006 season, shows that if a return really is in the cards, he's waiting out the "perfect fit." Or, perhaps, he's just not interested in coaching again.

Cowher does tend to flip-flop on his desire to return, so it may be much ado about nothing. Shortly after he told Newsday he wanted to return to coaching, he said on CBS' The NFL Today that he has no plans to return.

At the end of the day (royalties to Antrel Rolle), where there's smoke there's fire. And Cowher to the Giants rumors have been smoking steadily since 2007.

(H/T to Doug Rush at Bleacher Report)

Tags: Bill Cowher, Football, New York, New York Giants, NFL, Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh Steelers, Tom Coughlin

22 Responses to “Is Bill Cowher Still Waiting for New York Giants Head Coaching Job?”

Cower is 55 … still a bit young for the NYG coaching job. A little more seasoning before he’s ready.

•  G-MenFan says:

Ray Handley was only 47. That must explain the problem.

He’s 69 now. Maybe JR should put a call in.

•  JimStoll says:

although Cowher had a great run with Pitt and his coaching chops are undeniable, in my heart of hearts, I pine for one of these young guys intent on reinventing the game

I don’t get the fascination with Cowher. He won one SB and had many playoffs meltdowns. He is a very good coach but with so many years out I’m not sure how he will do. IMO we have an even better coach already here. TC is in no way without faults but many of these coaches have faults.

I also, don’t get the jealousy that some fans here have for NE. I get wanting to be in the mix every year and winning 11 plus games ever year. But also realize how those NE fans feel too. Being there and not winning is more frustrating than rewarding if you keep on falling short. NE fans were more relieved to win than happy yesterday. And even if NE wins next Sunday there will be an empty feeling without another SB win. We all rather have best of both worlds but let’s not act like we would prefer “winning” in the recent NE way over SBs.

It is interesting that 3 out of the 4 teams returned to the championship round. I think a large part is that hunger and motivation that you get from losing. Though, I didn’t see it before the playoffs Bmore looks like they are on that same run that many wildcard teams have followed in recent years. They are playing their best football of the year and they have a QB that in many ways reminds me of Eli. Flacco seems to be a pretty clutch QB and has steadily got better. Bmore seems to be playing without pressure. I know they are getting out and Ray is retiring but in some ways they face the least pressure Sunday because of expectations.

Cowher is from the Rooney/Steeler organization … he’s family. He’s also solid, tough, and a disciplinarian who commands respect. Remind you of anyone? Someone named Tom perhaps?

•  Chad Eldred says:

I agree. It’s easier not making the playoffs than to get there and come away empty. I get frustrated that we seem to be inconsistent, but there is something to be said for the fact that the team has delivered when they have gotten to the big one.

Two things … the game is changing, and ‘same old’ might not be good enough going forward. Especially on defense. Secondly, stability is the hallmark of successful teams. Too much change is deadly.

How to balance them is the trick.

4.  Chad Eldred says:

Coughlin isn’t going anywhere. I maintain my prediction that he will die coaching. If that means he’s in his 90′s, so be it. That’s how he’s going out. In a hearse.

5.  Dirt says:

I like Cowher. He’s mix up play calls for sure.

Did you ever watch those steeler teams? TC is way less conservative offensively than Cowher.

•  Dirt says:

Right. Cowher never ran reverses, WR passes, etc.

And this team today is far more talented than any Steeler offense he ever had.

6.  G-MenFan says:

Of the 4 remaining teams, three of them beat the worst team in their own division twice. The exception is the Falcons–because the other 3 teams in their division all finished 7-9, so their was no “worst” team to sweep.

•  JimStoll says:

not sure what that proves — good teams are suppose to beat bad teams

can’t believe people are suggesting they would rather miss the playoffs altogether than get in and fail to win it all
      that makes absolutely no sense
      there is never a guarantee of a championship; but you have to be in it to win it

•  G-MenFan says:

It doesn’t necessarily prove anything. It does support what I said in my first post on this thread that this team isn’t as good as we all first thought it was. We’re not dominating our division; in fact, in the past two seasons the Giants are only 1-3 against the NFC East basement team, getting swept by the ‘Skins in ’11 and splitting with the Eagles in ’12. The best and surest path to the playoffs is to win your division. The Giants have been very mediocre within the NFC East and in my opinion, that has to change if they’re going to consistently make the playoffs. With the Cowboys in cap hell, the Redskins with and injured RGIII, and the Eagles a complete mess, the time for the Giants to step up and dominate the East is now.

F55 – I saw your post about adding in several areas including DT. I was wondering your thoughts on how we add to DT if it seems that Joseph, Austin and Kuhn are almost guaranteed to be here. Even if we replace Canty we need the others to step up. While I agree we need to improve DT I just wonder how we will do it? If we draft a DT earlier that means cutting Kuhn or Austin or carrying 5 DTs. None seem like options we prefer. But maybe we have to just add a talented DT in the first few rounds and let the chips fall wherever. But knowing we give our young players time I just wonder.

It’s called competition. At this point NONE of Joseph, Austin and Kuhn should feel they have any guarantees of playing time. Admittedly, Joseph is considered a potential stud, but he sure took a BIG step back this season and I don’t care what line of bull the coaches dream up to deny that. I watched him get blown out of gaps all season. He may have been in real competition with Webster for the biggest step backwards in 2012.

Kuhn actually looked promising to me but coming back from surgery when you need a great base to play DT means he’s a question mark. Austin? Still hasn’t shown a damned thing and may never do so. he could turn out to be 2013′s big upside surprise, but that certainly wouldn’t stop me from assuming that I go into this season with Joseph on a short leash, hopefully Canty on a revised contract that works, and a LOT of competition for the #3 and #4 spots on the depth chart.

I honestly think that if we used our first pick on a DT (I’m not saying we should, but I do think it should be a corner, a DT or a top linebacker) we’d probably be bringing in the guy who should prove to be the best of the bunch. I had very high hopes for Joseph after 2011 but I’ve certainly reduced expectations for him after seeing him stink in 2012. The coaches continue to praise him, but I’m sorry, I’m choosing to believe my lying eyes versus their happy-talk.

One thing I should add is that I’d be perfectly okay with giving Tuck half his snaps at DT. He certainly isn’t as good at this point as is JPP or Kiwi. And I would really like to see the youngsters (Tracy, Ojomo, possibly Broha), who will bring energy and enthusiasm to the front four get their opportunities at DE. If the move to a part-time DE and part-time DT for Tuck means his career is shortened because of the pounding inside, that’s just part of a career in the NFL. I love the guy, but he may do more good for us inside than outside on that defensive line at this point in his career (unless he comes back with body AND mind refreshed and rededicated to football, which I have my doubts about at this point).

F55 I don’t mind using Tuck at lot at DT on passing downs. That’s partly why Austin seems like not a great fit. Becasue the one thing Austin probably can do we don’t really need him for it. I think we need a run stuffing type of DT as 3rd DT which I don’t think Kuhn is either. And we probably need another young guy because Canty will need to be replaced soon even if not in 2013. And isn’t Joseph a free agent after 2013? Our DT position needs to be really smartly handled this offseason. If we believe in Joseph then maybe we can get him on a fairly cheap extension this offseason.

I feel fine about Joseph but even with that you need 3 DTs not 1. Canty can’t be carried at his number so he could be gone if not will to take a pay cut. Concerning Austin I’m taking the position given our past history that he won’t be cut in 2013, he will be given at least 2013 to show something. I agree real competition is a good idea and needed but my concern is that even if Joseph and Canty are good we need help behind them.

I worry a rookie DT won’t help much kind of like Joseph. Kuhn is more a rotation energy guy but not what we need at a 3rd DT. Austin can only help pass rushing wise and can’t really help at all vs the run. DT is the position that is a sneaky huge concern depth wise.

Hard not to notice that New England has used pacing as a huge competitive advantage against even good defenses. Their coaching staff leaves ours in the dust.

They are innovative. They fit players at relatively low salaries onto their team and then figure out how to best use them. They make maximum use of their great quarterback’s intelligence and reading ability. Belichick is such a defensive genius that he has taken a group that isn’t HALF as talented as our defense and made them better than anything Perry Fewell puts out there regularly.

Don’t get me wrong. I’m on the side of the argument that I’d far rather be the team with two rings in five (soon to be six) seasons than the team that dominates a weak conference and division but has only won championships under at least questionable circumstances. But I sure would like to trade coaching staffs with them.

•  JimStoll says:

whatever else you say about the Pats, beyond Brady, Welker, Gonk, Hernandez and Woolfolk, and perhaps an O-Lineman or 2, they have nothing but JAGs on that team
      everything they do is coaching and Brady

9.  Hardcharger says:

First of all, I am not jealous of any team. I just admire the fact that the Patriots put themselves to win almost every year and consistently win games. I just want to know why we can’t win consistently. We have the core to do it! If one man can do it then another man can. Yes, I would love to be in the playoffs every year, why wouldn’t you. And to say you rather miss the playoffs then lose once in, I don’t understand that. If at first you don’t succeed, try, try again. Sometimes you have to fail in order to succeed or whatever cliché you like. Once in, you have a chance of winning it all. If anyone knows that, it should be a Giant’s fan! If and when TC retires I too would rather have a future in innovator. I wouldn’t mind a creative mind.