Bill Parcells, Michael Strahan Among 2013 Pro Football Hall of Fame Finalists

January 11th, 2013 at 10:30 AM

The Pro Football Hall of Fame announced the 15 modern-era finalists for the class of 2013 on Friday, and among them were former New York Giants head coach Bill Parcells and retired defensive end Michael Strahan. For Strahan, this is his first year of eligibility.

In addition to the 15 modern-era finalists, there will be two senior nominees – former Kansas City Chiefs and Houston Oilers defensive tackle Curley Culp and former Green Bay Packers and Washington Redskins linebacker Dave Robinson.

Parcells, who is in his second year of eligibility and a finalist for the second time, led the Giants to two Super Bowl championships (XXI, XXV) during his time with the team. He also coached the New England Patriots, New York Jets and Dallas Cowboys. He retired with a regular season head coaching record of 172-130-1, a postseason head coaching record of 11-8 and was named the AP Coach of the Year twice (1986, 1994).

Strahan, who is joined by Larry Allen, Jonathan Ogden and Warren Sapp as other first-year eligible finalists, spent his entire 15-year NFL career with the Giants, retiring shortly after the team upset the then perfect New England Patriots in Super Bowl XLII. He is a seven-time Pro Bowler, four-time first-team All Pro selection, two-time second-team All Pro selection, 2001 NFL Defensive Player of the Year, two-time NFC Defensive Player of the Year (2001, 2003), the Giants' franchise record holder with 141.5 sacks and the NFL's single-season sacks leader (22.5).

Both men are more than deserving of the Hall of Fame, and Strahan seems like a sure bet.

To be elected, a finalist must receive a minimum positive vote of 80 percent. The 2013 class will be announced on Saturday, February 2, 2013 at 5:30 PM EST.

Tags: Bill Parcells, Football, Hall of Fame, Michael Strahan, New York, New York Giants, NFL

28 Responses to “Bill Parcells, Michael Strahan Among 2013 Pro Football Hall of Fame Finalists”

And Strahan is loved by everyone … and is a well knowned media personality. I think he gets in.

•  Levito says:

Agreed. And he was a heck of a player on some pretty bad Giants teams. I’d be surprised if he didn’t get in this year.

2.  Chad Eldred says:

Agreed. Both of these guys are no-brainers. Strahan not only played at a high level, but did so for an unheard of duration.

•  UANYG says:

Pfff, he’s no Chad Bratzke.

All joking aside, I believe he’s in too. Parcells gets in, but who the hell knows when that will be.

Lots of people hate Parcells. He’s not a lock.

•  Chad Eldred says:

I think it is always tougher for coaches and GM’s. They don’t exactly have a highlight reel showing their impact on the game. Players immediately inspire that mental highlight reel and the image of them in uniform.

And in Parcells’ case he’s a huge d1ckhead that no one likes. He was rude and condescending to the press for his entire career. Karma … it’s a b1tch.

Yeah, yeah, Stray gets in now. Parcells may have to wait another year so the writers can rub his nose in it one more time.

hey, now that norm has returned, where is TOGM? His links have been a highlight of Giants101 for years.

•  kujo says:

Where do my hilarious and vulgar descriptions of you and your self-love rank in the pantheon of G101 highlights?

Oh right at the top.

Right about where that professor’s attempts at comedy that we’ve all experienced at one point or another does: funny on rare occasions, but presumed by the source to be far more amusing than reality suggests.

Truth be told, it doesn’t bother me because I know where it’s coming from. It’s when folks with no standing whatsoever, who’ve generally been wrong about almost everything they write, jump on the bandwagon that I get annoyed.

I have two recently-graduated employees who are, shall we say, not exactly intimidated by their elders. One makes extremely funny, pithy, remarks that remind me that we are all just trying to make decisions in an environment where none of us really know much about what’s going on and that I should stay humble as a result. I love this kid. The other, seeing my reactions, tries to go for the same ride, but he manages to screw it up completely and tends to annoy the hell out of everyone who has a lot more experience, knowledge, and wisdom than he. The difference? Timing, delivery, and the quickly-gained track record that the first youngster has established in his work. The second doesn’t have the credibility. His review came up in December. I told him he was “inappropriate, inexperienced, naive, and needed to build far more credibility before he spoke as an equal with more senior members of the team.” I thought the kid would cry, but two weeks into the new year he is doing a lot better. Mostly by keeping his mouth shut and just learning as he goes.

In sum, you’re a lot more the first guy. But don’t get too big for your britches. I may have to write to your father if you do.

4.  G-MenFan says:

Michael Strahan
    Drafted in 1993, second round, 40th overall pick

1993-2007: 124-115-1 Giants regular season record total
    4 NFC East Division titles
    2 NFC Conference Championships
    1 Super Bowl

5.  BigBlueGiant says:

Just catching up on some threads…

One thing that stood out was that Dan mentioned something about CWebb playing injured. He mentioned that his hamstring might have been completely torn off the bone and there was nothign he could have done to fix it but kept playing anyway.

While there is no doubt that Webster might have played with a “pulled or strained hamstring” even a minor tear, but if that Hamstring was off the bone, Webster would have needed immediate medical surgery if he wanted to walk again without a major limp.

That said, i’ve been dealing with a pulled hamstring i suffered training Jiu Jitsu. And it is the most nagging bothering minor injury i have ever dealt with. I still train with it, but man it hurts like a you know what…

6.  jfunk says:

“17-14 is the final, okay? 17-14. One touchdown, we are world champions. Believe it and it will happen.”

That clip alone should get him in.

7.  rlhjr says:

Kujo, THE WIPPER SNAPPER

I want to go back and respond to GIANTT’s excellent post at the end of the Hynocerous thread when he compared football and rugby. (One note: Pete Dawkins played halfback for Army, not QB, and paired with Bob Anderson as one of the great college pairs of RBs….Dawkins became a highly-decorated officer after his time at Oxford and Anderson became something of a bum).

The two are VERY different sports. The one area of rugby that is every bit as insane as anything in football is when one of the players on each side vaults over a scrum and practically bashes skulls with the opposing player on top of all of their teammates. I was never willing to play rugby at school. I thought everyone who did was nuts, but I enjoyed watching them (and always hoped my friends on the team would welcome me into the beer-fests that followed every game when the two teams would gather together and celebrate their various bumps, bruises and “slightly-broken” bones).

My view of rugby was confirmed when I saw a game between Cal and Stanford on the Stanford campus and saw a bunch of REALLY BIG GUYS hurtling at each other (in some cases while their fallen teammate writhed on the ground after having been tackled from multiple sides) for what felt like hours. NFL players are crazy. Big-time rugby players are whatever is beyond crazy.

9.  norm says:

I’ve been reading rumors out of Dallas that Jerruh has interest in the ancient Monte Kiffin as the Cowboys’ next DC with an eye toward converting to a 4-3, Cover 2 defense.

If true, I’m not sure what the thinking is there.

One wonders if after three years of watching what Fewell has wrought with the Giants, Jerruh thought to himself “I want me some of that!”

Amusing as it sounds, it’s not a totally whacked out possibility. One thing I did read is that Jerruh and Garrett were both very dissatisfied with the number of turnovers that Ryan’s defense generated this year. Maybe they think a Cover-2 scheme is just the ticket for increased takeaways. After all, it’s pretty much the only thing that Fewell’s D did with any proficiency in 2012.

Here’s hoping the rumors are true. My thoughts are that the Cowboy personnel are as ill-suited to the Cover 2 as the Giants. I’d love to see both Claiborne and Carr – both very good man corners – reduced to playing ten yards off the ball in a soft zone. And I believe Sean Lee is better suited to playing the inside in a 3-4. I’m not sure he’s got the quicks to execute effectively the deep drops required of the MIKE in a Cover 2.

Make it happen, Jerruh.

•  LUZZ says:

I heard 30 minutes ago that it’s confirmed that Kiffin has been hired

Good post.

They would be doing us a HUGE favor if they go to a Cover-2 defense (unless Eli starts staring down receivers as he did a few times this season for no explainable reason except that he had lost all confidence in his alternative receivers on a particular play). Eli and Hakeem and Cruz would absolutely destroy a Cover 2 soft zone with timing plays that could only be defensed if the defensive coordinator and his cornerback guessed right.

And like you, I would sure love to see those two corners taken out of tight coverage, which they are VERY good at.

10.  LUZZ says:

My view of rugby, at least rugby played at American Universities, is that the teams are fillled with kids that loved contact and the physicality of sport but lacked the athletic ability to play football at the college level.

I thought that when i attended to my first rugby game at a university as a college senior, and that thought was confirmed at each of the dozen or so games i attended after as well.

i have no opinion on rugby played outside the states since i have never attended one of those matches.

Not necessarily. Given the quality of Stanford (and sometimes Cal) football, plenty of the kids who play rugby (which is a club sport at Stanford) are good enough to play football but do not want the year-round commitment and the insane practice schedule that Division I athletes have to maintain. They want to be serious students, engage in all of the activities available at schools, and have some fun to boot.

But they’re all crazy anyway. That is a sport for nut-cases.

•  LUZZ says:

Generally speaking, kids that are athletic enough to qualify for a $250,000 free education take the scholarship and play football. That’s been my experience observing football programs around the country from close up. Having said that, i have zero experience with anything related to Stanford football.

•  nick86 says:

LoL. The athletes who play Rugby do not even come close to the athletes who play football. I respect the physicality of Rugby, the constant pounding can certainly add up over the course of a game. But the violence of the two sports and there collisions aren’t even close. Give the Stamford football team 2 weeks to learn how to play Rugby and it would be a blood bath.

Take it from experience, playing LB and taking on a pulling guard or monster FB in the hole at full speed is crazy. One play like that can add up to a game of rugby playing.

Im with Luzz- I dont know too many kids who pass up 250,00k to play rugby when could play football and go to school for free. Im sorry but that sounds like what Rugby players tell each other when they watch the football team play…