New York Giants Sign Safety David Caldwell to Reserve/Futures Contract

January 8th, 2013 at 12:30 PM

Fresh off of signing a group of six players, and then a second group of seven players, the New York Giants have now signed former Indianapolis Colts safety David Caldwell to a reserve/futures contract. He had previously worked out for the Giants in September.

"I guess dreams can come true twice! #BLESSED… Back at it for the home team reunited with my bro [Adrian Tracy]," Caldwell tweeted.

His agent, Bill Deny Jr., later confirmed the signing via Twitter.

"Only downside of David Caldwell singing w/ #Giants is #Falcons exec David Caldwell can't sign him & #NYTimes David Caldwell can't report it," he tweeted.

Caldwell, a native of Montclair, New Jersey and graduate of William & Mary, was signed by the Colts after going undrafted in the 2010 NFL Draft. In 2011, he started 13 games at strong safety for the team, collecting 67 tackles and four passes deflection. He was waived as part of final cuts on August 26th.

Tags: Adrian Tracy, David Caldwell, Football, New Jersey, New York, New York Giants, NFL

58 Responses to “New York Giants Sign Safety David Caldwell to Reserve/Futures Contract”

1 2 3
  1.  Levito says:

Not sure if anyone knows the answer to this, but does a player get paid anything for signing the futures contract? What does a player actually get as a benefit for locking themselves up with a team for the next season?

Krow –

I think you would feel differently if you were watching that Was vs Bmore game live. When he first was slow to get up no one thought RG3 was hurt seriously at all until they showed the slow motion replay. It just looking like the normal shaken up type play live. The redskins on the sideline had no way of knowing how the slow motion replay looked. They were down 7 and in the 2 min offense so there was really little time. RG3 ran around on the sidelines and then real quick on the field after 1 play because he looked fine to them. I know in hindsight they look like idiots given the replay but I think what both Shanahan and Andrews said is true. There was very little time to determine anything and with RG3 running on the sideline it seemed minor to everyone on the sidelines.

No, but afterwards they knew better, and even held him out a game. Anyone watching the playoffs knew he wasn’t himself. Yet they kept him on the field till he finally broke down.

It’s hard to put a shine on all of this.

3.  Dirt says:

RGIII had a prior tear, Nicks did not.

RGIII wore a bulky supportive brace, Nicks did not need to.

RGIII played in his last playoff/elimination game, Nicks did not.

And their injuries are not the same.

But yeah, other than that, their situations are identical.

Maybe they convinced themselves it would be OK. Maybe there was some grain of doubt. But one thing is certain; they didn’t take the prudent approach. They were not cautious. They did not err on the side of safety.

4.  Dirt says:

And comparing the Eagles/Redskins/Cowboys to the Jets/Dolphins/Bills, Jags/Titans/Texans or Bears/Lions/Vikings over the last 10 years is laughable.

5.  norm says:

So let me see if I have this straight…

Against the Ravens, RG3 absorbs a vicious hit from the 330 lb Haloti Ngata which causes his knee to whip around in all sorts of unnatural directions. He comes out for ONE PLAY, does not allow the docs to even examine him before returning to the field. Griffin is only able to play a few more downs before having to leave the game for good.

When asked about it afterwards, Shanahan says:

“We had Dr. Andrews on the sideline with us. He’s the one that gives me the information. It’s way over my head. I’m just telling you what he said. We felt very good with the news.”

We all saw that hit by Ngata. It was nasty. I doubt there are a lot of NFL coaches who would allow their marquee player to retake the field after taking a hit like than without first being looked at by a doctor. And then baldly lie afterwards about how the player’s return had been first OK’d by the medical staff.

So we’re supposed to now to take Shanahan at his word when he now says about the playoff game: “Our medical staff said he was fine to play. Checked with the doctors and asked them their opinion if we would be hampering his LCL if we did play him or was he in good enough shape to go into the game and play at the level that we need for him to win.”

Yep, that really clears things up, alright.

And I think they lied all along about the extent of his injury. I’m will to bet that he did more that strain it in the Baltimore game.

You want to win … put Boobie in.

7.  Grateful Giants says:

On the topics of the day:

I think the Redskins did what we (or at least I) expected of them. Uneducated, selfish, not successful, one track mind decisions. Sounds just in line with the rest of the pile of garbage Danny 6 Flags has fed the league in the last 10 years… Just like selling the farm for him, and playing him through a really mangled knee injury. I feel sorry for Griffin, but its as much his fault for hurting his team by staying on the field, as it was Shannahan. In that situation, its tough to really know what the best course of action is, someone compared it to Strasbourg as the opposite side of the spectrum and I for one agree. I was a little bewildered as to why they sat Strasbourg when there is no guarantee he, or the rest of that team will be any good in the future, especially since they were bounced from the playoffs, but at the end of the day, the team fought with its best chance of winning, with a healthy team. I certainly don’t blame them for playing him, its just a really really tough decision in hindsight.

It does say one thing for certain, they don’t have much confidence in their back-up if 1/2 of Griffen was better than 100% of Cousins. Poor guy is in for a really long season with those awful Redskins fans who walked out of the stadium with 7 mins to go only down by 1 point.

I am afraid that somehow, some way, this whole thing is going to give Goodell a huge power trip woody and somehow, some way, the giants will be affected by his “ruling” on this ridiculous situation. He doesn’t care about player saftey, he just cares about fattening his wallet, hence the fines for every single hit in a football game that is greater than an arm tackle. I hate what he has done with the game, it stinks.

This happens every game, every practice, every week, every year. It was just the fact that it was broadcast in the playoffs that it is such a big deal. High profile player, yes, but dude, this is football, where Cutlers are called “BigBlueGiants” for sitting with a lesser injury. This is football guys get hurt every single play and come back.

Again, I feel for Robert Griffen, but, we all knew this is how this story was going to end, or at least this chapter…every single one of us.

•  norm says:

Again, what makes this case so different is the fact that a doctor associated with the team felt compelled to go public with his concerns over the player’s health on the eve of a huge playoff matchup.

And, no, this is not just another case of a doctor “always worry[ing] anytime somebody has an injury,” as Shanahan so blithely spun it. Doctors NEVER go public with their “worries” on the eve of a big game as Andrews just did.

Andrews knew something was rotten in Lil’ Danny’s bunker and decided to take the highly unprecedented step of blowing the whistle to a journalist. Now, everyone involved is busily circling the wagons in a last ditch attempt to save face. But I think it’s pretty evident from all the earlier reports that the standard medical/safety protocols were NOT followed here – all in the short term interests of winning a playoff game.

•  Grateful Giants says:

Agreed, and that, IMO is right in line with the Redskin way. Do it today do it now, overpay for it, milk it until its empty, we’ll worry about tomorrow…tomorrow.

It isn’t about confidence in your backup. You don’t take out your franchise QB out for a backup QB in a playoff game unless he’s telling you he can’t go or the doctors say he can’t go. For example Rivers played the AFC title game with a torn ACL and they had a good backup QB in Volek.

8.  Grateful Giants says:

And Cheers to Hynoski for his fundamentals award.

What an amazing honor, to be recognized by your peers as one who does the little things correctly, which in football makes the bigger things happen. This may be one of the more under appreciated parts in sports, no one gets high fives for making a form tackle or block, they get charged thousands of dollars for the big hit/ flashy play, that they most likely can not duplicate.

Hynoski can block with perfect form, every single play, because he knows HOW to.

Dirt/Krow

I never said their situations were identical. But they are similar. A prior tear makes you more susceptible to the next tear? I thought that was dispelled when we were discussing TT?

It’s funny everyone is so critical now but not one person said anything when RG3 not looking that dissimilar against Dallas. I don’t like the reactionary response. If you can’t see the similarities in the Nicks case then so be it. Ever thought that Nicks sitting out the Philly was admitting mistake of playing him in many of the weeks he played?

My point isn’t that Washington is clearly right. My point is many teams handle their players in much the same way including us. And many teams would have done the same with RG3. To me this situation is similar to Strasburg. I understand if you are on the conservative side but them playing him IMO doesn’t make them reckless.

Repost since some didn’t see:

Dr. Andrews backs Mike Shanahan, says coach didn’t lie about RG3

Hours before the Redskins faced the Seahawks in Sunday’s wild-card matchup, USA Today quoted Washington team doctor James Andrews as saying that he never looked at quarterback Robert Griffin III when he briefly came to the sideline after initially spraining his right knee in the Week 14 game against the Ravens.

“[Griffin] didn’t even let us look at him,” Andrews told USA Today. “He came off the field, walked through the sidelines, circled back through the players and took off back to the field. It wasn’t our opinion. We didn’t even get to touch him or talk to him. Scared the hell out of me.”

Griffin returned to the game for several plays before eventually giving way to backup Kirk Cousins.

Andrews’ remarks contradicted what coach Mike Shanahan said after the Ravens game.

“We had Dr. Andrews on the sideline with us,” the coach said at the time. “He’s the one that gives me the information. It’s way over my head. I’m just telling you what he said. We felt very good with the news.”

Naturally, the discrepancy raised questions about whether Shanahan was being truthful, which was only exacerbated after RG3 again injured his right knee against the Seahawks.

In comments Monday to the Washington Post, Andrews says that “Coach Shanahan didn’t lie about it, and I didn’t lie about it.”

So what happened in that Ravens game?

“I didn’t get to examine [Griffin's knee] because he came out for one play, didn’t let us look at him and on the next play, he ran through all the players and back out onto the field,” Andrews said. “Coach Shanahan looks at me like, ‘Is he OK?’ and I give him the ‘Hi’ sign as in, ‘He’s running around, so I guess he’s OK.’ But I didn’t get to check him out until after the game.

“It was just a communication problem,” Andrews continued. “Heat of battle. I didn’t get to tell him I didn’t get to examine the knee. Mike Shanahan would never have put him out there at risk just to win a game.”

After Sunday’s loss to Seattle that saw Griffin laid out on the FedEx Field turf after awkwardly twisting his right knee, Shanahan was asked about Andrews’ input regarding his quarterback’s ability to play.

“Our medical staff said he was fine to play,” the coach said. “Checked with the doctors and asked them their opinion if we would be hampering his LCL if we did play him or was he in good enough shape to go into the game and play at the level that we need for him to win.”

Shanahan was asked if Andrews was one of those doctors that approved Griffin’s return against the Seahawks.

“Yes.”

And what was Shanahan’s reaction to Andrews being “worried” for RG3, which FOX play-by-play man Joe Buck brought up several times during the telecast?

“I think doctors always worry anytime somebody has an injury,” said the coach. “But they clear a player if they think he’s able to play, and we obviously take their recommendation very seriously. We would not play Robert if we thought there was a risk of him further injuring that LCL.”

Which appears to be exactly what happened. The Post reported Monday that the latest MRI on Griffin’s knee revealed partial ACL and LCL tears.

1 2 3