New York Giants Sign OL Chris DeGeare to a Reserve/Futures Contract

January 8th, 2013 at 3:43 PM
By Paul Tierney

The New York Giants have signed former Minnesota Vikings fifth-round draft pick Chris DeGeare to a reserve/ futures contract.

DeGeare was drafted out of Wake Forrest University by the Vikings in 2010 and appeared in eight games with the team. He was let go by Minnesota in 2011 after spending the entire year on the practice squad. He spent all of 2012 on the Tennessee Titans practice squad as well.

The Giants have now signed a total of 15 players to reserve/ future contracts since the conclusion of their 2012 campaign. Obviously, it's unlikely that any of these players emerge as significant contributors. However, part of being successful in the NFL is finding the a system that suits the skill-set of a particular player. The Giants are smart for proactively pursuing players that they think could potentially help them in 2013.

However, most of these new acquisitions will amount to nothing more than extra bodies at training camp.

Tags: Chris DeGeare, Football, Minnesota, Minnesota Vikings, New York, New York Giants, NFL, Tennessee, Tennessee Titans

11 Responses to “New York Giants Sign OL Chris DeGeare to a Reserve/Futures Contract”

1.  TroyThorne says:

Repost:

Te’o has always been a bit overrated due to where he played and his tragic situation that he played through. He’s always been good but not great and was never a top 5 pick like some media outlets were trying to say. He’s not Patrick Willis and he may not even be the best inside backer in his draft class.

Skimming through these comments, I noticed someone (I believe FF55) say that Barrett Jones is a top 5-7 pick. Yeah….no. That’s not going to happen for a number of reasons. First of all, he’s always been good but never truly dominant. His technique and understanding of the game helps mask the fact he’s not exactly a mauler. Could be a perfect fit for a zone scheme. Second, interior linemen tend to be undervalued come draft day (David DeCastro, a better prospect IMO, fell to 24 or so after being hailed as a top 15 pick his entire career just as a recent example). Another issue is he has a Lis Franc injury and is getting surgery on it as we speak. He might not be able to work out for teams and will have to answer some concerns regarding his health. Finally, this draft is stocked full of some really good offensive line talent which will push him down draft boards. For instance, he’s not even the best interior linemen on his own team.

Assuming his injuries heal up without a hitch, I’m thinking it’s late first-early 2nd for Jones at this point.

I think the only OL position it makes sense to draft in the first is a RT. While Snee is clearly on his downside I don’t think you draft a guard in the first round to not start right away. Especially at 19. Center and LT (hopefully) will have too much invested to draft at that position in the first round. Maybe a LT gets drafted if we feel they can start right away at RT to give us some future flexibility. But I think Brewer is as likely to succed as a first round rookie at RT if not more so.

3.  Grateful Giants says:

With Griffen down, how do we get the Skins to sell the farm to the Jets for Tebow?

4.  GmenMania says:

I saw some people talking about the Alec Ogletree, the Georgia ILB. I think he would be a fantastic fit for our team. He’s a little undersized (237, I believe), but hits like a ton of bricks. What he has that Te’o doesn’t is the game-changing speed. Te’o has incredible instincts, and I like him a lot, but I like Ogletree more. Ogletree is just much faster, and has good instincts as well. He’s also pretty good in coverage. Would LOVE if we could get him at 19.

•  LUZZ says:

I would love he or Jarvis Jones, the latter has no shot at falling to 19 though. Ogletree is a football player! he’s a converted safety with speed and explosion to waste. He is slightly undersized but he plays huge. Has a nasty streak too. Go get him JR.

This is the kind of player that could fall into the mid 40′s due to his lack of size, he could be viewed as a tweener. This would be a great year to have 3 picks in the top 60.

I think in the 80s NFL maybe it’s debateable but with the passing offensives It things like the read option I think you need speed in the middle. And realizing that we really play the tampa 2 we have asked Fewell to play his defense with out the real coverage skills a MLB needs. The only issue is mental. We need a MLB that can learn quickly or we probably need boley back. We need need Blackburn, Boley or Herlich around to call the defense likely. I doubt a rookie would be given that responsibility.

5.  Barbarossa says:

I think the clear way to improve our team the most in this draft is by improving our talent on the defensive and offensive lines. I think if history has taught us anything it is that Reese has a very good chance of addressing the D-line early so I won’t really go into that. I believe Kujo is the one who has been leading the charge over the last few seasons about how we need to improve the O-line and I think that this is the right way to go for a two reasons that are very much interconnected. First, we spent our number one pick last year on an impact RB, if you are going to drop a first round pick on a running back you need to make sure and give him the tools he is going to need to be successful. For a running back to make the most of his talents he needs a powerful, nasty, O-line that is blowing people off the line of scrimmage and making blocks up into the second level of the defense. Can you imagine if David Wilson had a line like that? I’ll give you all a minute to change your pants. Secondly, our franchise quarterback struggled this year, I think we can all admit that at this point. What can we do to help Eli and make sure he returns to form next year? Obviously an improved O-line helps, but honestly other than David “insert pithy nickname referencing his inability to pass block his way out of a wet paper bag” Diehl I didn’t think our pass blocking was that bad. No, the real way we get Eli back to form is by making other teams respect our running game and most importantly of all, when they respect our running game we can get back to… play action pass! That’s right, the play action pass, Eli Mannings bread and f*cking butter. Just think of the Havoc that Eli, Nicks, Cruz and Randle could wreak next season with play action passes if the other team is worried about David Wilson and our running game. In conclusion big, mean, early round O-linemen (preferably from Alabama) = David Wilson running wild = devastating play action pass = offensive juggernaut hopefully leading us to the Superbowl. That is all.

6.  GmenMania says: