Steve Weatherford not a Fan of NFL Playoffs Sans New York Giants

January 6th, 2013 at 1:35 PM

New York Giants head coach Tom Coughlin said earlier this week that missing the playoffs and not being able to defend their Super Bowl championship hurts beyond words. As it turns out, he's not the only one feeling that way, and punter Steve Weatherford took to Facebook on Sunday to express his feelings now that the playoffs are underway.

'Steve Weatherford of the New York Giants' photo (c) 2012, Marianne O'Leary - license: http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.0/

"It makes me sick my stomach to watch these playoff games, knowing we let one get away," Weatherford wrote via Facebook.

That feeling is a universal one amongst Giants loyalists and their players, but the reality is they've got no one else to blame but themselves.

Coming into the season, quarterback Eli Manning knew – and stated several times – that 9-7 wasn't going to cut it. It didn't and the Giants ended up missing the playoffs after being eliminated in week 17 as the Detroit Lions fell to the Chicago Bears. Alas, they're all sitting home, watching the clock and waiting for a new team to be anointed "champions."

It certainly can't be a pleasant feeling, knowing there's nothing they can do about it, and hopefully will serve as some sort of extra motivation when the 2013 season gets underway.

Tags: Football, New York, New York Giants, NFL, Steve Weatherford, Tom Coughlin

54 Responses to “Steve Weatherford not a Fan of NFL Playoffs Sans New York Giants”

1.  Nosh.0 says:

And TC’s quotes after the season ended should now convince everyone what I’ve been saying, he’s not retiring.

The man has been without football for less than a week and he has no idea what to do with himself. He’s a football coach through and through. Football coaches don’t retire. They get sick, fired, or die.

TC is not a man that seems to be enjoying his (down time/ time with his family) cliche that is used far too often. He’s the head coach of the New York Giants. And coaching is his passion. He’s not giving up this job unless the Giants fire him.

Please let us never mention the words TC and Retirement again. And the absurd notion that he will groom his replacement. (That one is especially laughable).

2.  Dirt says:

I take back any recent nice things I’ve said about Shanahan

•  GmenMania says:

Are you referring to his actions as related to RGIII’s injury?

•  Dirt says:

Yes. Should have yanked him after that 2nd TD.

Also, I’m not a lip reader, but I’m almost positive his first words to him when he came off the field after his last play included “ball”, and since there was a turnover, I hope it wasn’t “you gotta jump on that ball”.

3.  TuckThis says:

Couldn’t be happier that the Redskins lost.

4.  Eric S says:

What a surprise!! Once RG III couldn’t rely on that gimmicky pistol option offense and actually had to play Quarterback he comes up small and looks like a lost rookie who couldn’t read a defense and has trouble throwing from the pocket.

•  TroyThorne says:

I’m sure having no power in his plant leg didn’t affect anything at all.

I’m sick and tired of hearing about RGIII as much as anybody but let’s not be ridiculous.

5.  TroyThorne says:

Well, at least Washington is out of the playoffs. Seattle is a fun team to watch. Productive, underrated QB, strong running game, good opportunistic defense with a bunch of playmakers. Overall a young, hungry, motivated team. Pretty much our polar opposite.

But watching this Redskins team in the playoffs at all, a Redskins team that was 3-6 and played with their franchise banged up for multiple games, I’m reminded how disappointing this season was and how this was my least favorite Giants team I’ve ever seen. There were very few bright spots or people to rally behind. Rookies were glued to the bench, old stars had very disappointing seasons, and we never really established any sort of identity. We sucked inside our division and had more head-scratching losses than we did statement wins. I know you can’t win the Super Bowl every year but this season just felt like a waste. Very disappointing.

6.  TuckThis says:

I’m not sure that’s totally accurate, Eric. Seems to me he’s playing injured.
    Glad you’re not the Giants’ front office. I don’t think they’ll be overlooking him anytime soon.

•  Eric S says:

Didn’t say I would overlook him. Just don’t think he’s as great a QB yet without the threat of his legs. I know his knee is banged up but that’s a convenient out. He’s played the last two weeks and his numbers weren’t that good. He’s also a month removed from the initial injury. On ESPN right now they’re hammering home the same point, without his legs he has to learn to adapt and play within the pocket. He couldn’t do that today. If he couldn’t plant and throw with any accuracy from the pocket because of his knee then he was just being selfish out there and trying to be a hero because he was hurting his team if that’s the case.

I’ve seen nothing to indicate RG3 can be a traditional pocket passer. He’s a running QB .. who operates best in a college system. Makes plays with his legs.

•  Dirt says:

Through their 7 game winning streak, teams erred in “not letting RGIII beat them”. Should have made RGIII beat them. Stop Morris, create passing downs, and if he gets outside the pocket, fine, hit him, hard.

•  Eric S says:

Exactly what I’ve been saying but apparently that doesn’t fly too well with some here. The reason he’s been such an effective passer is that option play…it sucks up the linebackers, freezes up the pass rush and gives him very simple reads and a lot of space between the linebackers and safeties.

RG III will always get banged up if he continues to play the way he does. He’s not a big guy like Rapistburger or Newton who can absorb more hits. If they continue to rely on his athleticism and insist on this college style offense i don’t see him lasting very long health-wise.

•  TroyThorne says:

Typed out a response but the site glitched. I’ll just hit the main points.

- RGIII is clearly better running the option/pistol offense where he’s a threat with his legs. However, he was pretty clearly hurt and his throwing was affected. He was missing throws he would normally make.

- Ask Jay Cutler what it’s like to ask to sit out of a playoff game. If he did everyone would just question his toughness. It’s on the coaching staff to pull him out if they feel he’s a liability to the team being out there.

- I agree that he’ll go the way of Vick (constantly injured) if he doesn’t change his playstyle. In 12 weeks or so he already had a concussion and relatively serious knee injury under his belt. Two really bad things for a guy planning on running a lot especially one who is as small as he is. Also fumbles quite a bit though he was lucky not to lose too many.

•  Eric S says:

He definitely got lucky on the fumble front this year. Those numbers have a way of evening out which isn’t good news for the skins.

I hope our resident defensive genius is noticing that the teams that are winning these games generally rely on pretty frequent blitzes (from many different places, which keeps the offense guessing) and very tough, physical, man coverage mixed with the occasional zone. They also generally have a run-stopper in the middle of the defensive line.

I don’t know if I can take another season of “passive resistance” a la Fewell. Not only is it boring, but it isn’t working.

The best thing about the Skins is that they will not have many high draft picks over the next few years and some of their significant players are aging. We just need a defensive middle that can handle Morris and we’ll be okay against them. I actually think it may be the Cowboys we have to worry about more. Their defense is improving and Dez Bryant is starting to look like the nightmare he was originally thought to be.

•  Eric S says:

Wishful thinking buddy. Our coordinators have too much genius to learn from the mere mortals that serve as their supposed “peers”.

Shanahan is just another in a long string of NFL coaches who treat their players like meat. Just because RGIII said he wanted to play doesn’t mean he should have been allowed to do so. The kid was damaged goods. I think the Seahawks are the better team anyway, but I hope Shanahan didn’t wind up insuring that his rookie has to undergo surgery now because he turned a modest sprain into a serious one.

10.  TuckThis says:

Is Shanahan any worse then the Giants throwing Nicks or Bradshaw out there every week? Yes, I get they’re not the QB, but they can sure render the QB ineffective when playing injured.

Well, I think Nicks was abused and should have been rested or even operated on and been made the designated IR player.

Bradshaw is different. he’s been running on those feet since his second season and he knows what he can do and cannot do. And even with rest, those feet will never get better. So either you ride the guy or get rid of him. He is always going to have this problem for whatever career he has left in him.

I don’t exclude the Giants from occasional use of players who should not be on the field. I will say, though, that in RGIII’s case they took a risk that he’d wind up with a full ACL tear and might never again be the player he was before the Baltimore game.

I agree. It’s convient to criticize. But it’s the playoffs and you let the kid play if he say he can and you think he can. Nicks is an excellent comparison, if we were playing in the playoffs Nicks would be out there. Is it possible RG3 further hurt himself? Yes. But that’s the case with many players eing out there hurt.