New York Giants’ Jerry Reese on David Wilson: “I Think He Can Be a Lead Dog”

January 6th, 2013 at 9:15 AM

For running back David Wilson, his rookie season got off to a rather rough start. In his first NFL game he coughed up a costly fumble and promptly found himself relegated to the bench. From there, it was a long climb out of the doghouse of New York Giants head coach Tom Coughlin, but injuries and determination eventually paved the way for more playing time. And the youngster made the most of it, opening up eyes across the league with his blazing speed and surprising toughness.

On Thursday, during an interview on WFAN radio, General Manager Jerry Reese praised his 2012 first-round pick and said he believes Wilson could eventually be the Giants' feature back.

"I don’t think there’s any question that he can be that," Reese said. "It’s a two and three-back league nowadays, but do I think he can be a lead dog, I do think that. Because David is not a little guy, and he has incredible balance. You see guys have some big hits on him and he stays up; he’s not an easy guy to take down. So he’s much stronger than you might think just from how he looks on the field. He’s a sleek, well-chiseled athlete, but I do believe he can be the lead back."

Wilson would finish the 2012 season with 358 yards on 71 carries (5.0 ypc) and four rushing touchdowns. And although those numbers were far removed from the goals he had set for himself, the rookie added 34 yards receiving and one touchdown through the air, and a franchise-record 1,533 kickoff return yards, which also included a touchdown. His 327 all-purpose yards performance in week 14 against the New Orleans Saints was also a franchise record.

With Ahmad Bradshaw uncertain about his future, and Andre Brown working his way back from a devastating injury, Wilson does appear to be in a good position to assume the starting role. If nothing else, he'll certainly enter training camp  – which will be held at the TIMEX Performance Center – with a fair chance to win the job.

Tags: David Wilson, Football, Jerry Reese, New York, New York Giants, NFL, Tom Coughlin

15 Responses to “New York Giants’ Jerry Reese on David Wilson: “I Think He Can Be a Lead Dog””

1.  kujo says:

Mr. Reese sure seems to be doing a lot more talking this offseason. Guess he hasn’t gotten hold of Coughlin’s memo vis a vis the price of chit chat.

Anyway, I’m not concerned about his evaluation of clear cut talents like Wilson, JPP, Nicks, Cruz, etc. But I’d sure like to know if Brewer is going to be a player, or if they believe Austin will ever amount to anything, and whether Robinson’s invisibility cloak will biodegrade by next season. These are more pressing matters, in my mind.

Good point. While I still find JR’s takes interesting other players would be a lot more insightful.

2.  Dirt says:

It’d be pretty sad if a 1st round pick at the easiest position to transition into from college wasn’t the lead dog in his second year.

Another guy seems to have turned down the Jets GM job. There must be all sorts of conditions and limitations attached to it.

4.  GIANTT says:

Or maybe the thought of having to deal with this train wreck scares too many people – If I were Marc Ross or anyone else I would take the interview but make it clear that I had no intention of taking what would probably end up being my last job in football

5.  rlhjr says:

Like Kujo, I want the hear about the future of the offensive line, linebackers and defensive linemen. Because those positions are going to determine how much talking Reese will be doing this time next year. He’s plenty of white space to fill now.

If you ask Reese he has to say that everyone is doing fine and that they expect great things them. That’s all you’re ever going to get. They won’t air any reservations publicly.

•  Chad Eldred says:

But it would be nice if just one time a GM said “we thought he was gonna be a player, but it turns out the guy just blows.”

6.  Chad Eldred says:

I suppose it’s not surprising that Marrone got the Bills job, I pretty much assumed he was the likely winner from the start. Not only does that eliminate any possibilty of Fewell leaving, but it removes the best thing that the Syracuse football program has had since McNabb graduated.

7.  wrdag says:

I am challenging Dan to institute a mandatory continuing education video for any blogger going forward to post on the site. No video, no post!! What this mandatory video would consist of was for evey blogger on this site to watch yesterdays play-off games in their entirety and relate what you watch to the NY Giants going forward. I think the process would put to rest thousand and thousands of wasted posts on the play of Eli Manning for the rest of the off-season. The play of Dalton and Shaub should once and for all put to rest the immense blessing that we have in Eli as our QB. While I give Mr. Dalton a bit of slack for yesterdays performance due to the fact that he was under diress throughout the game, he missed badly on a number of open recievers and for unexplained reasons forgot he had AJ Green on his team in the first half. But, the shocking part of the video would be to watch an entire game of the work of one Matt Shaub. Or perhaps what he should be called “one read schaub”. The guy couldn’t spell progression if i gave him the first 8 letters. In the hopes of getting Norm back on the site I am about to heap praise that KG is our offensive coordinator. After watching the plain vanilla passing attack of Houston one could only be happy to see our KG stretch the field every game. Do they realize that Andre Johnson plays on their team. How many 5 yard out patterns can you run to your tight end?
    while watching the GB/ Viking game im reminded the horror that comes about when you dont have a starting QB, I know that was a tough spot for Joe Webb but im sure with 16 games under his belt he will never be the answer. Again, forget the Eli critiques and enjoy the ride. I moved to florida during the dog days of the NYG QB issues (graham,Kannel) and was stunned that Miami fans would be so down on Marino year after year. Look at their QB issues since the day he retired.
    A couple more thoughts and predictions:
    Wade Phillips runs a style of attack defense that does not resemble anything I saw this year outside the last game against Philly.
    Prediction: GB is going down over the next 2 games because they have zero at right tackle. Which brings me back to our issue at tackle and a league trend that the days of finding scrap-heap o-line talent is gone. We better find a good answer their preferably in free agency.

8.  GmenMania says:

This is good to hear, all though it should have been a given considered he was a first round draft pick. Anyway, Wilson’s ability to carry the ball more gives us much more flexibility in what we do with Bradshaw, as we know we have a good option to be the “lead dog” if Bradshaw has to be cut to get under the cap.

9.  GmenMania says: