January 4th, 2013 at 8:30 AM

On Wednesday, the New York Giants signed all six of their practice squad players to reserve/futures contracts. That was followed up on Thursday when they signed seven more players, including quarterback and former Indianapolis Colts 6th round pick (2009) Curtis Painter.

Painter, who played in Indianapolis for two seasons before joining the Baltimore Ravens in training camp of this past year, has appeared in 11 NFL games, completing 140 of 271 pass attempts (51.7%) for 1,624 yards, six touchdowns and 11 interceptions.

In addition to Painter, the team also signed guard and former Buffalo Bills 7th round pick (2011) Michael Jasper, wide receivers Brandon Collins and Kevin Hardy, defensive back and former Chicago Bears 7th round pick (2007) Trumaine McBride, defensive tackle Bobby Skinner and linebacker Jake Muasau.

"I am officially a New York Giant!!" Muasau tweeted upon being signed.

In 46 career games, McBride has 68 tackles, one interception and eight passes defended. He has played for both the Chicago Bears and Arizona Cardinals, while spending time in camp or on the practice squad of the New Orleans Saints and Jacksonville Jaguars.

Of the players signed, Collins, Skinner and Muasau have all spent time with the Giants, with Collins and Muasau having opened quite a few eyes during training camp.

Tags: Bobby Skinner, Brandon Collins, Curtis Painter, Football, Jake Muasau, Michael Jasper, New York, New York Giants, NFL, Trumaine McBride

26 Responses to “New York Giants Sign Curtis Painter, Michael Jasper & Five Others to Reserve/Futures Contracts”

1.  G-MenFan says:

The Giant Samoan, Part Deux…

I wonder if they signed painter because they think Carr is calling it quits … or they’re considering dumping him? Crazy as it sounds that would save $225,000 of cap space.

3.  G-MenFan says:

I’d never seen Curtis Painter so I Googled him. There’s a picture of him in the right column. He is a dead ringer for Jeremy Shockey.

•  demo3356 says:

He was the dumpster fire at QB for the 2-14 Colts last year for the second half of the season. does look like Shockey’s little brother

•  Chad Eldred says:

Just pray you don’t ever have to see him play.

4.  demo3356 says:

Four days after the New York Giants’ season ended, Tom Coughlin said he’s going stir crazy not being able to defend the team’s title in the postseason.
    A candid Coughlin said in an interview on WFAN radio that the pain of missing the playoffs one season after winning it all is “indescribable.”-
    “I can’t even describe how it hurts,” Coughlin said. “I don’t know what to do. I’m walking around here like a crazy man. I am. I don’t know what to do with myself. We shouldn’t be doing this right now.
    “The pain of it is almost indescribable. Because your expectations are so high and as a matter of fact it drives you because of the opportunity that you have. The thing that’s most difficult to deal with is losing, and then being out of it. It’s difficult to describe.”
    I can’t even describe how it hurts. I don’t know what to do. I’m walking around here like a crazy man. I am. I don’t know what to do with myself. We shouldn’t be doing this right now. The pain of it is almost indescribable.”
    The Giants were wildly unpredictable, capable of blowing out the Packers and dropping 52 points on the Saints only to score a total of 14 points in critical losses at Atlanta and Baltimore down the stretch with the playoffs on the line.
    “I’m glad I’m not a betting man, because I would have lost everything,” Coughlin said of being shocked by his team’s inconsistent play. “Games in which I felt like we were right there and then all of a sudden, it just, for whatever reason& We didn’t get off to a good start, we didn’t rally back, we didn’t stop the other guy at the right time, whatever it might be, I’m sure I’ll be hashing these things over all winter.”
    Coughlin said he and his coaching staff were “taking it all apart right now” to find some answers as to why the Giants were capable of dominating the likes of San Francisco only to disappear in road games at Cincinnati, Atlanta and Baltimore.
    Coughlin and general manager Jerry Reese said wide receiver Hakeem Nicks’ knee injury had a major impact on Eli Manning and the Giants’ offense. Nicks battled through the injury but clearly lacked the explosion he normally had and that impacted the Giants’ big-play ability.
    “Nicks has really been the linchpin of our offense,” Reese said in an interview with WFAN as well. “When he is out there we are different football team and everybody could tell he was banged up and our opponents could tell he was banged up. It affected our quarterback some.”
    Reese said the Giants still have a nucleus capable of winning it all. He will try to re-sign a few of his key free agents like tackle Will Beatty and tight end Martellus Bennett and add a few more pieces while hoping some key veterans like Justin Tuck and Corey Webster have bounce-back seasons.
    “Just looking at it from where I am sitting right now, the team is going to look different,” Reese said. “But I don’t think it is going to be a huge& we don’t have to blow the thing up here right now. We can salvage some of the good players that we have. I really don’t think we are that far away.”
    Coughlin said missing the playoffs one season after winning it all should humble his players and make them hungry again.
    “To be the Super Bowl champion and not be in the playoffs,” Coughlin said. “If that doesn’t bring you down to Earth and create the kind of humility that goes along with getting your nose back to the grindstone, I don’t know what does.”
    Of course, Coughlin will continue to wonder through the entire offseason if the hunger and passion was there this past season and whether his team will feel humbled and motivated next season.
    “Naturally that crosses your mind,” Coughlin said. “I never thought that was going to be an issue with our team, I really didn’t. But we certainly left a few holes in our schedule.”

5.  demo3356 says:

It takes more than one season to truly evaluate a draft class. But the day after the Giants’ 2012 season prematurely ended, Giants GM Jerry Reese reviewed the contributions of this year’s rookies.

The top two picks, David Wilson and Rueben Randle, came on late in the season, showing promise for next year.

Third-rounder Jayron Hosley made a few spot starts and played as the nickel corner for a stretch of games, making some mistakes but also showing a good nose for the ball. Fourth-rounder Adrien Robinson, who Reese originally called “the JPP (Jason Pierre-Paul) of tight ends,” didn’t see the field on offense. Seventh-rounder Markus Kuhn was excellent value, playing a key role in the defensive line rotation before tearing his ACL in Week 10.

Here’s a look at what Reese had to say.

First Round (No. 32): RB David Wilson
    Stats: 16 games, two starts. 71 carries, 358 yards, 1 lost fumble; 4 catches, 34 yards; 57 kick returns, 1,533 yards. 6 TDs (4 rushing, 1 receiving, 1 kick return).
    Reese’s take: “David flashed some things, and he looked like the guy we thought he could be. Again, you fumble the ball early on in the season and that kind of set him back. Coaches get a little bit nervous when young players…you put them in and they turn the ball over early in the game. He proved himself and got back in there, and we think he’s going to be a terrific player for us. He’s a dynamic, really kind of a world-class athlete. We think he has a bright future for us.”

Second Round (No. 63): WR Rueben Randle
    Stats: 16 games, 1 start. 19 catches, 298 yards, 3 touchdowns. 15 punt returns, 108 yards, 15 fair catches.
    Reese’s take: “Again, we talked about him in the first round as well. He came on late. I think he started a game right in the middle of the season somewhere and flashed some things. We think he can be a terrific player for us as well in our receiver stable.”

Third Round (No. 94): CB Jayron Hosley
    Stats: 12 games, 6 starts (some in nickel package). 40 tackles, 5 PDs, 1 INT, 1 forced fumble.
    Reese’s take: “He had some injury issues (foot, hamstring, quad), but we think he’s going to be a terrific young player for us as well. I really think he can help us as a punt returner as well. You saw him return some punts in the preseason, but after he hurt his foot and had some injuries there, we took him off the punt return duties. But we think he’s going to be a really good player for us. He has that moxie about him that you like. He had some growing pains like all rookies do, but he flashed some things that we like from him as a third-round pick.”

Fourth Round (No. 127): TE Adrien Robinson
    Stats: 2 games, 0 starts.
    Reese’s take: “He did a lot of good things in practice and unfortunately he wasn’t able to get a suit much during the season. I think he only got a suit a couple of times during the year. We still have very high hopes for him. He’s a big, talented guy that’s fast and can run and can do all the things. But again, it’s unfortunate that we weren’t able to get him the suit on Sundays and get him some experience playing in the National Football League. We hope he’ll continue to develop, have an offseason under his belt to go through. Hopefully he’ll be able to help us moving forward as a tight end in our tight end stable.”

Fourth Round (No. 131): T Brandon Mosley and Sixth Round (No. 201): T Matt McCants
    Stats: Mosley was on IR with an ankle injury, and McCants spent the year on the practice squad before being signed to a reserve/future contract.
    Reese’s take: “They’re both developmental kids, and they’ll have the offseason program, and hopefully they can give us some depth. And who knows? Maybe one of them will be a starter at some point.”

Seventh Round (No. 239): DT Markus Kuhn
    Stats: 10 games, 1 start. 8 tackles, 4 PDs.
    Reese’s take: “He came on and did some nice stuff for us and obviously hurt his knee, but we think he’s going to be healthy and back ready to play and be a big imposing figure in the middle for us at our defensive tackle position.”

I sounds like JR was a little disapointed Robinson didn’t get some more action. I think JR expects him to be the 2nd TE next year. I think 2 TE sets with 2 athletic TEs that can both block would add a different dimension to the offense. Assuming Bennet is re-signed.

6.  demo3356 says:

If you read the article i pasted above you will see Coughlin and Reese echoing what Krow and I have been saying for a while about the lack of hunger and fire and how the team will look significantly different next season
    In the second article about the draft class it almost looks like Reese is a little frustrated that Robinson in particular didnt suit up and see any action. I wonder if it irks him that he drafts these studs and they get stuck behind JAGS to develop?

•  demo3356 says:

To take it step further, I wonder if Reese doesnt clean house of several vets this off season to ensure the younger guys he drafted this year and will draft this April will get a good shot at playing more? I’m a HGE TC supporter and support him making Rooks earn it but after seeing young teams like Washington (led by two rookies) Seattle and Indy play with such fire and passion I wonder if JR forces TC’s hand by booting some vets like Braddie and Diehl (amongst others) and not resigning some of the UFA vets? Just a thought..

•  Levito says:

Diehl maybe, but I don’t think you can say Bradshaw doesn’t have fire. That guy’s a competitor.

And I’ve said before, I think Diehl takes a paycut and stays. I hate seeing him in the lineup, but he can play 4 positions on the line.

I don’t think he’s saying certain players don’t have fired more that young players bring fire because they are hungry to prove themselves.

I don’t think letting some vets ago is for that reason as much as the cap situation. If we are going to keep most of our young stars several vets will have to go and/or take some significant pay cuts.

I think the type of players that would fit that thought are the 3 in Bradshaw, Hixon and Tynes that we have discussed a lot the past few days. They are productive players and can help us next year but they are also replaceable. And replaceable with decent cap savings. I would also add Diehl and Boley to that group because I think we have replacements around that good be looked at as just as good for much cheaper. Webster and Canty are a lot more complicated because the positions they play are our value positions and right both lack quality depth. Even letting them go we would have to make a quality investment in likely another vet as their replacement. An agree upon salary reduction would seem to work for all parties on both players but I wouldn’t expect either player to agree to more than a 2 mil reduction.

Interesting reactions from Coughlin and Reese.

I’ve been saying all season that the Giants’ offense “goes through Nicks” and I think the above comments confirm that. Just remember that when you think about “what’s wrong with Eli?” and why Hakeem Nicks is the receiver the Giants have to make sure they retain (Victor Cruz would be nice, but Nicks is a “must have”).

I think Reese’s comments ABSOLUTELY indicate a degree of frustration that the coaches don’t play the rookies more. But that tension isn’t necessarily bad in an organization. You don’t necessarily want everyone marching in lockstep.

I think it’s a very good bet that Muasau and Collins will both be on the 53-man roster in 2013. The former could, possibly, turn into an impact linebacker who can fill a hole and not get carried 2-3 yards after contact (something we need MUCH more of) and the latter should be a significant upgrade on Barden (and more likely to be utilized than was Beckum) and a potential replacement down the road for Hixon.

Of course it’s a setup question to ask a GM what he thinks of the guys he’s drafted. What else can he say but that they’re doing fine? There’s no other answer he can give.

Fair point. I would like to see TC, KG and PF comments about each rookie as well. Plus I would add Will Hill and Stevie Brown (I know he’s not a rookie) to the list as well.

Anyone who watched this team this season doesn’t need to guess about the emotional strength of the 2012 New York Giants. It was weak.

There was the long 2011 season that ended in euphoria after being incredibly stressful because of the seesaw nature of their regular season. There was too short an off-season. There were the distractions all champions deal with as everyone wants a piece of them. There was a different camp schedule that this coaching staff was not really ready to happily run most efficiently.

This team was NOT ready to play on the day the season opened, and they handed the Cowboys that game.

And then there were the aftereffects of Sandy (which dramatically affected a number of players on the team directly and had to cause a lot of distractions) and Sandy Hook (which affected everyone in the country, but particularly those of us in the region). Those two real human tragedies had to have hurt the concentration and will of this team. These guys are human. Exogenous influences affect their working lives every bit as much as they do yours. Think about whether you gave 100% in the wake of each of those horrors. I know that there are many among us who, if we’re honest, will admit that we had “down weeks” as a result of those occurrences. Why shouldn’t a decent percentage of the Giants have experienced the same?

No, a confluence of a lot of events (plus some really unfortunate injuries, the most important of which was Hakeem Nicks’ foot and knee) managed to sap the emotional strength of a team that certainly had the talent to repeat as champions, and might have had a realistic chance to do so had they won just a few more games.

Remember, too, that Andy Dalton and Joe Flacco had games against us that were way outside their normal range. Dalton looked like John Elway the way he zipped balls into perfect, indefensible, spots, and Flacco managed to play his best game in three years against us. It happens.

This just wasn’t destined to be the Giants’ year. But even though all of the above went against them, they still managed to finish with a winning record and won some incredibly well-played games against a number of the best teams in the league. They’ll load up again, and hopefully be very hungry, a bit younger and faster, and ready to make another real run at a ring in 2013. It’s still great being a Giants fan.

I completely agree about our “emotional strength” this year. For all of the flack the cowboys get in the national media watching them a lot this year I though one impressive thing was they reminded me of the 2011 Giants in the way the fought in every game. Now clearly they lost their share but I saw at least 4-5 games in which the cowboys were being comletely handled but rallied to win or give themselves a chance to win.

We were really missing that fight this year. I feel like last year’s giant team would have rallied in many of the games we lost decisively. We rarely made plays in the 4th quarter to rally. And in too many games we didn’t leave ourselves with the chance to even compete in the 4th quarter.

I think one interesting JR comment was concerning Hosley talents as a PR. If he’s our future PR then I think that hurts Hixon’s value. And it also means that Hosley is not going to be the starter at CB if he’s the PR meaning we likely are keeping Webster.

There’s an opening at KR. While Wilson was excellent there it would be surprising if he had a fulltime role there next year. Jerigan is an option as will be Scott. Randle’s role at WR I think will move him from a fulltime full as a returner. Collins could play as role somewhere. As could Douglas as a PR.