If Terrell Thomas Returns, New York Giants May Move Him to Safety

January 4th, 2013 at 5:27 PM
By Paul Tierney

Needless to say, it's been a rough past two seasons for New York Giants cornerback Terrell Thomas. After tearing his ACL against the Chicago Bears in the 2011 preseason, Thomas re-injured his knee just a few days into training camp this year and was once again placed on the season-ending injured reserve. It was Thomas' third ACL tear of his career, which is usually a bad omen for skill position players.

'Terrell Thomas warms up' photo (c) 2010, Marianne O'Leary - license: http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.0/

It's hard to expect any player to return to form after multiple knee surgeries and being out of the game for two seasons. However, if Thomas does choose to return to Big Blue, a position change may be in order. General manager Jerry Reese said yesterday that he may consider moving Thomas to safety in 2013.

"We haven't had much conversation with (Terrell Thomas) as of late, but we'll definitely reach out to him and see how he is and see if he's going to be able to make another comeback," Reese said. "He may be one of those guys that at this point in his career, if he does get back on the field, you might have to move him to a different position like safety instead of playing corner. A couple of ACL's playing corner, man, that's tough to do."

Thomas may appear to be a little undersized for an NFL safety. His 6'0"/ 190 pound frame pales in comparison to the likes of Antrel Rolle and Kenny Phillips, who each have at least 16 pounds on Thomas; however, before his injury, Thomas led the Giants with 101 tackles in 2010. He's a great tackler in the open field and is not afraid to give up his body to support the run defense. If he shows the ability to play run defense next training camp, Thomas' ball skills may be better utilized as an over-the-top defender as opposed to a cover corner.

Although Thomas has some incredible odds to overcome in order to return to form, this season saw the first ever NFL player return from three ACL tears to have a successful season. Thomas Davis of the Carolina Panthers played in 15 games and recorded 103 tackles at linebacker. As long as Thomas gets the correct treatments and rehabilitation techniques, there's no reason he shouldn't be able to do that same. In fact, Reese believes that Thomas could be successful in the NFL as a safety.

"He's a smart guy and you've seen guys before they start their careers at corners and have some injuries or lose a step and teams move them inside to safety," Reese said. "So that's something we look at."

Before his injuries, Terrell Thomas showed the potential to develop into one of the top cornerbacks in the NFL. It's hard to expect that from him now, because he has gone through more adversity in the last two seasons than most players do in their entire careers. Hopefully, the Giants are afforded the opportunity to bring him into training camp next season and see what he still has left in the tank. If it's anything close to the player we saw in 2010, he'll be a welcome addition to a secondary that sorely disappointed this year.

Tags: Carolina, Carolina Panthers, Chicago, Chicago Bears, Football, Jerry Reese, Kenny Phillips, New York, New York Giants, NFL, Terrell Thomas

18 Responses to “If Terrell Thomas Returns, New York Giants May Move Him to Safety”

1.  Nosh.0 says:

As I suggested earlier this season. Kid can tackle, blitz the QB and plays decent man coverage. Ball skills could use some work though.

I think if there was any doubt, we now know for certain Reese comes on here to read my posts.

TT could spend the off season with Brian Cushing. Then he could transition to linebacker after mysteriously adding 40 pounds of muscle in 3 months.

3.  G-MenFan says:

I see the stock photo file for TT is thin.

4.  Nosh.0 says:

So since Reese wants my 2 cents on our roster, here they are.

- JPP will be dominant again as he moves back to his position full time (lined up across from the LT)

- Draft a pass rushing DE or DT in the first round as those players rarely hit FA and if they do they cost way too much.

- CB’s have been available the past few seasons in FA. And at more reasonable prices. Sign one. And get CWEB to restructure.

- Don’t know what the RT market is, and maybe Brewer is the guy, but if not, a repeat of the 2005 offseason where we brought in Kareem McKenzie is what you’d like to do. ie find an RT in his 20′s that can be here for the next 5-7 seasons.

- Bradshaw has to stay, perhaps at a discount. Just make sure TC starts using him correctly, which means 10-15 touches a game. Also, other than AP, who runs harder than Ahmad?

- Hixon was coming off 2 ACL surgeries. You saw the speed return towards the end of the season. Especially the burst on a crossing route week 17. Would be foolish to get rid of him now, he knows the offense too well, and may finally have his legs back. Great pinch hitter, ie depth.

- Lock up Cruz now but I’d wait on Nicks. See how he plays in 2013. If he’s healthy and productive, pay him. If not, might be time to move on.

- Tuck can still play, but not anything close to an all pro level. Time to restructure.

- Was KP’s injury related to the micro fracture he had done year 2 or something else? If it’s the former let him walk. In fact I’d probably let him walk regardless. Health is a skill. One he may no longer possess.

- Am I the only one that doesn’t trust Bennett in a big spot? He’s a line in the sand guy. You offer what you feel he’s worth and don’t go a penny over.

•  Begiant says:

I agree on the CB part…The Bengals are great at that Pacman Jones, Terrence Newman and Nate Clements all went to the Bengals and played well above what was expected of them.

I don’t trust Bennett in the big spot yet, however I think he can be a big part of our offense for the next 4-5 years.

I also agree with Phillips…He is a luxary and we might not be able to afford luxaries

•  Paul Tierney says:

I think Nicks is infinitely more valuable than Cruz. Cruz showed us this season that while he’s a capable wideout, he is not a clear No.1 receiver. He’s a slot receiver with explosive speed and precise route running ability. He does not have the physicality to play on the outside against an elite press corner, and he does not come down with balls in traffic the way Nicks does. Obviously resigning Cruz is important, but if I have to choose I’m taking Nicks in a heartbeat (provided he can stay healthy).

5.  Nosh.0 says:

Football Outsiders final Power Rankings

Giants Overall:7
    Offense: 7
    Defense: 16
    Specials: 10

And my favorite, Consistency rating: 32, dead last.

I guess no one else agreed that missing the playoffs this year was unacceptable for a team with our talent level. We missed the post season and no one seems to care. I guess those SB wins got guys on here grabbing their ankles and softening up.
    I didn’t realize that once you win a few championships that you’re supposed to stop being a fan.

But I’m sure there is a method to the Giants madness. They knew that making the playoffs every year means you can’t win a championship. You can only win a championship if you miss the playoffs every other year, or in this teams case, 3 out of 4 years. Thats why we didn’t go this year. O.K. Got it now.

DEMO- Because Ray Lewis is retiring they’re running his “A Football Life” non stop, including on the time slot you said that Giants thing would be on. Let me know if you find out when they’re gonna show it again. Def want to watch that.

•  G-MenFan says:

“I guess no one else agreed that missing the playoffs this year was unacceptable for a team with our talent level. We missed the post season and no one seems to care.”

What are basing this on, and what would you like us to do? Vaginate about our hurt feelings like a bunch of yentas? We’re talking 2013, just like you, because it’s all we’ve got except our d**k in our hands.

6.  Dirt says:

So no G-Men in Albany anymore because there’s no dome here. With precious few practices under the CBA, they can’t miss out on practice time due to the weather.

Sad.

7.  Begiant says:

I saw signed Curtis Painter. I like the move…always good to give Carr some competition. However it has me worried about Ryan Perriloux…I was hoping we would prove to be able to develop a young QB and I know some on here even claimed we might be able to filp him (homerism at its finest IMO) for a pick.

•  jfunk says:

Hopefully Perrilloux sticks and Painters is camp fodder. Painter is trash.

•  Eric S says:

I think Carr comes back on another vet minimum deal like last year. Perriloux and Painter are just some arms to keep around during the offseason. Neither is worth anything nor are they capable of being the backup to Eli.

8.  Eric S says:

As for TT, I just don’t expect anything from the guy. A move to safety? He’s be behind Rolle, Brown and Hill at the very least. I don’t expect us to retain Phillips. So at best TT is the 4th safety, assuming health (big assumption) and an ability to beat out Sash and anyone else they may bring in.

9.  G-MenFan says:

Terrell Thomas:

2013: $750,000 (+ $6 million option bonus + $1.5 million roster bonus), 2014: $3.8 million, 2015: $4.75 million, 2016: Free Agent

So if Thomas can come back and if the Giants want him on the 2013 roster, he costs $8.25 million against the cap this year? Is that how the option bonus works?