January 2nd, 2013 at 6:30 AM

Often clutch and always under-appreciated, wide receiver Domenik Hixon is one of many to-be free agents the New York Giants will need to address this offseason. However, unlike most free agents in recent years, Hixon isn't in a rush out the front door, and has been made to understand that the money may be greener away from New York, but the grass most certainly isn't.

"I talked to some guys who have left from here and the grass isn’t green on the other side," Hixon said. "We’ll see what happens. It’s an exciting time though."

One of the guys Hixon likely talked to is former running back Brandon Jacobs, who was recently released by the San Francisco 49ers after a public spat left him suspended for the latter part of the year. And never was there a more perfect example of "grass not being greener."

Of course, one could also ask wide receivers Steve Smith and Plaxico Burress, tight ends Jake Ballard and Kevin Boss (although the former didn't leave by choice) and cornerback Aaron Ross.

More often than not, players who choose to leave the Giants for more money often appear to be kicking themselves, wishing they could return. Hixon certainly doesn't want to become one of those, but he's also earned himself some consideration around the league and the potential for a solid contract. And he's thankful to Big Blue for that opportunity.

"They gave me an opportunity after two knee surgeries to come back, so I just wanted to go out there and just repay them and thank them for giving me another opportunity," Hixon said.

Ultimately, it will all boil down to what Hixon wants and what the Giants think he's worth. If they can get on the same page, it would be a no-brainer to bring him back. But will he accept the #4 role behind Hakeem Nicks, Victor Cruz and Rueben Randle? And, perhaps more importantly, would he turn down a better offer from another team to stay in New York?

photo credit: West Point Public Affairs via photopin cc

Tags: Brandon Jacobs, Domenik Hixon, Football, New York, New York Giants, NFL, Steve Smith

11 Responses to “Domneik Hixon Wary of Potentially Leaving New York Giants: “Grass Isn’t Green on the Other Side””

1.  G-MenFan says:

Without a doubt one of my favorite Giants, but also without a doubt, he’s brittle, which affects his value. I think if the Giants make him an offer that Dominic sees as reasonable, he takes it without shopping himself too hard. I’m keeping my fingers crossed here because he’s one of those guys that could get away and I think he’s more important to the team than we sometimes think he is. Especially when it comes to helping out with the rooks.

So I think we’ve established that Hixon is brighter than the average football player.

3.  BlueSince60 says:

With Wilson probably becoming the starter at RB, and Randall the #3 receiver, Hixon can go back to the role where he has the most value, i.e. kick and punt returner, gunner on punt coverage, and 4th WR. Solid guy who gives 100% effort on every play, and won’t command a big contract in free agency.

4.  James Stoll says:

Given his number of years in the league, what is the minimum the Giants must offer?

•  G-MenFan says:

He was drafted in 2006. If 2013 is considered to be his 8th year, the 2012 7-9 year veteran minimum was $825K.

•  LUZZ says:

However, i don’t believe the entire 825K will go against the cap.

•  G-MenFan says:

We have no idea of what the cap number will be for DH because we don’t know what his contract will look like yet. I doubt he will agree to the vet minimum. DH will command a bit more than that in the free market and he’s unrestricted. This is what makes me nervous. I can see some “win now” mental patient GM throwing 3 years $8mil and he’ll have to take it, like Boss did.

•  demo3356 says:

Um… Any GM that offers Hixon 3 years 8 mil should be fired on the spot. Love the guy but he has proven 2-3 times when given opportunities that not oly is he not a #1, but he isnt a #2 or even a #3 WR in the NFL. Guy is a good ST player but will be lucky to see anything 0ver $1.5 mil per..

5.  Valid says:

I’d like for the Giants to bring him back, but I’m not going to be losing any sleep if they don’t. No. 4 receivers (which is basically what he is) are very replaceable.

6.  rlhjr says:

“Um… Any GM that offers Hixon 3 years 8 mil should be fired on the spot.”

That is a top notch one liner my friend. LOL And very true……LOL
    900K for Hixson.

7.  clever username says:

gotta love this guy, but i agree that unless he’s OK with a 4+ WR role and a punt returner/ST guy, he won’t be back next season. we have enough depth at WR, but haven’t had a punt returner of his caliber in my memory. not sure he’s still that guy, but i’d like to see him get more chances back there. he won’t be a kick returner though, even with Wilson’s increased role in the offense. even if he’s our starter next season, he won’t get more than 15 carries a game and will still be our kick returner.