New York Giants’ Osi Umenyiora: “Now is Probably Time to Move On”

January 1st, 2013 at 7:45 AM

'Aaron Rodgers, Osi Umenyiora' photo (c) 2012, Mike Morbeck - license: http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/2.0/ As defensive end Osi Umenyiora walked off the field following a 42-7 victory over the Philadelphia Eagles on Sunday, he knew it would likely be his final time as a member of the New York Giants. And he savored it; blowing kisses to the fans and thanking them for years and years of support and love.

"If this is it … I am happy and proud to have played for this organization; this city," Umenyiora said on Sunday night.

Umenyiora said he would go home on Sunday and reflect on his time as a Giant, and think about what the future holds. He did that, and on Monday during an interview with Michael Kay, the Chief acknowledged that it was probably time to move on.

“I feel fortunate to be able to play 10 years in New York. It was a great run. I think now is probably time to move on," Umenyiora said. “There’s really not much left for me to accomplish here in New York. We won a championship twice, I think I’ve been a Pro Bowl player. Everything has pretty much gone better than I could have imagined in New York. So if there is a time to leave, it probably would be now but there is no telling what would happen.”

Despite his public feud with General Manager Jerry Reese over a new contract, both parties have maintained their love an admiration for each other. And on Monday, Reese had some very high praise for the veteran defensive end.

"Osi has been a terrific player for us. He’s one of my all-time favorite players in the National Football League," Reese said. "Not just Giant, all-time favorite players."

Reese added that he's "got a lot of good football left in him," but wouldn't say much beyond that.

It's clear that the two sides are going to part ways, much to the chagrin of head coach Tom Coughlin who said on Sunday that he'd much rather play with Umenyiora than against him, but all good things must eventually come to an end. So Umenyiora will end his Giants career having won two Super Bowl championships, been named to the Pro Bowl twice, been a two-time All Pro, the NFL sacks leader in 2005, the NFL record holder for forced fumbles in a single season (10), and the franchise's single-game sacks leader (6).

Tags: Football, Jerry Reese, New York, New York Giants, NFL, Osi Umenyiora, Tom Coughlin

11 Responses to “New York Giants’ Osi Umenyiora: “Now is Probably Time to Move On””

1.  Dirt says:

The Chief!

Some team is gonna get a steal with this guy.

Someone go make sure Simon doesn’t hurt himself doing cartwheels!

2.  G-MenFan says:

I disagree. If there’s one thing I’ve learned as a Giants fan it’s this:

Leaving the Giants for more money=mediocrity followed by obscurity.

Good luck if you’re leaving Osi.

•  Dirt says:

Kinda sorta. Cofield’s playing in a home playoff game this weekend. But he’s just one of the very few good players that Reese has let get away. He only usually let’s those injured or on the downside go. So you’re right, the guys who go usually disappear, but they would have disappeared here too.

On a separate note, is Steve Smith still in football and if so, where is he?

3. Dan BentonDan Benton says:

No one had their account suspended. It was an error by our idiot server host last night.

I really hate seeing Osi go … and I’m still a little hopeful that something gets worked out. But it’s not the team dumping him … he’s leaving because he’s chosen to leave. This is totally in his control. You know the Giants will offer him a fair, market-value contract. That’s not good enough. He wants to test free agency to see if there’s some fool owner out there who’ll give him a Haynesworth-sized deal.

I don’t blame him … not one bit. But all this sad hand wringing … the emotional goodbye … the drama … as if he wants to stay, but somehow can’t … it’s BS. He’s after more money, and thinks he can get that elsewhere. End of story.

•  Dirt says:

That’s a little stretched. I love my job, but if someone wants to offer me two commas more to jump ship, I’m gonna genuinely miss a lot of my associates and the work I do, but I’m out. You can really like both your current home and money at the same time. I do!

But yeah, it’s his choice, practically. Technically it’s Reese’s choice to void his final year.

And as I’ve always said to the haters, if he’s as overrated and old and injury prone as the haters suggest, he won’t get that huge offer and he might be back, just like he always has.

I don’t disagree at all. But he made $6,000,000 this year. That’s probably what he’d be offered if he stayed … maybe a 3 year deal around $20 mil.

I seriously doubt we’re talking much more than that. If he leaves for some fantasy, back-loaded deal then he’s a fool. It’s money he’s not going to get. And as others have pointed out, success … like a fine wine … doesn’t always travel very well.

Don’t want to see him go … but it’s not like he HAS to. He’s not being kicked out the door.

5.  G-MenFan says:

George Young on players- “It’s about the money. And when they say it’s not about the money, then it is definitely about the money.”