December 31st, 2012 at 1:30 PM

Changes are always possible, especially as the New York Giants begin their offseason evaluations, but Tom Coughlin says he has no intention of making any coaching staff changes this year, and that Perry Fewell will remain his defensive coordinator, while Kevin Gilbride maintains his spot as offensive coordinator.

'Tom Coughlin Watches Giants' photo (c) 2011, Rajiv Patel (Rajiv's View) - license: http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nd/2.0/

"He is," Coughlin said when asked if Fewell is still his DC. "[There are no changes] that I would speak about or have any intention of."

Of course, making changes optionally and being forced to make changes are two different things. And that's not to say General Manager Jerry Reese will force his hand, but with massive coaching turnover across the NFL, it is possible that both Fewell and Gilbride are considered for head coaching positions of their own.

As for Coughlin, retirement has not crossed his mind. Although he admits that "losing gets tougher" with age, winning and competition keep his "fire" burning. Accordingly, he says he will return to the Giants next season "if they'll have [him]." Which, of course, they will.

Tags: Football, Jerry Reese, Kevin Gilbride, New York, New York Giants, NFL, Perry Fewell, Tom Coughlin

73 Responses to “New York Giants’ Tom Coughlin Doesn’t Anticipate Any Coaching Staff Changes for 2013”

1 2 3 4
  1.  James Stoll says:

Neither Fewell or Gilbride will seriously be considered as a Head Coach

2.  demo3356 says:

Yep.. Pretty much what I’ve been saying…

3.  demo3356 says:

Fewell may get a look in buffalo

4.  Valid says:

Haven’t really seen too much draft talk going on. What is the popular opinion? Do we draft another pass rusher? A run-stuffing DT? A linebacker?

• Dan BentonDan Benton says:

Free agency needs to play out before any legit draft talk can begin. At least that’s my stance (as it is every year).

•  demo3356 says:

yes yes and yes. A CB is likely too

•  Valid says:

I probably should have specified, but I was really asking what route we should take with our first-rounder (I’d prefer another pass-rusher, personally), but yes; as Dan said, free agency will obviously dictate our draft stance quite a bit.

5.  demo3356 says:

If Ross gets the job in Carolina and Cans Rivera, Fewell is a possibility there too…

6.  G-MenFan says:

How is it the Chargers have not yet fired Norv Turner?

7.  Dirt says:

Tuck hasn’t played with fire (outside of the 6 games last year) since Fewell had him covering Celek 40 yards downfield in that 2010 debacle.

Boy, KP must REALLY be unhappy with the Giants’ medical staff and how they handled him. I would be very sorry to see him go, but now that has to be considered a strong possibility. I think Hill is going to be a tremendous player, and obviously Brown proved he has an eye for the ball (it’s true, some players just seem to attract balls and no one ever really knows the explanation, and Brown seems to have that “it”, whatever “it” is) and Rolle is terrific, but with KP I think we’d have the best group of safeties in the NFL. Really too bad if he hits the road, but I cannot say I’d blame him. They really mishandled him.

•  Dirt says:

Maybe he doesn’t like the scheme or leadership.

Maybe the real defensive leader and his fraternity brother can convince him to stay over the next 2 months.

Or maybe he just wants to maximize his pay.

•  Marques G says:

Y eah i’ll be sorry to see him go cause I really like KP especially when he is healthy, but i did find it odd when KP said he was healthy to paly only to be inactive for the big games going down the stretch, really could have used him in that Ravens game, but I hope something can be worked out though.

9.  Dirt says:

Add Tuck to the list of “going nowhere” with Fewell

10.  Valid says:

I’m fine with keeping Tuck if he’s part of a rotation. I just don’t want him playing nearly every snap.

1 2 3 4