New York Giants’ Victor Cruz: “There’s No Pressure for Us Now”

December 29th, 2012 at 11:50 AM

Traditionally, the New York Giants have been a team that thrives when their backs are against the wall; when all of the pressure is on their shoulders. Such has not been the case here in 2012, and after being blown out in each of the last two weeks, their playoff fate now rests in the hands of others. Accordingly, Big Blue feels the immense pressure to repeat as Super Bowl champions has dissipated, and wide receiver Victor Cruz believes that will help them going into their week 17 game against the Philadelphia Eagles.

'Victor Cruz makes the catch' photo (c) 2011, Kathy Vitulano - license: http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nd/2.0/

"I think there was some pressure, obviously, going into the last four games where we had to win and we had to keep doing the things we had to do with everybody looking back at last year," Cruz said. “I feel like there’s no pressure for us [now]. We’ve just got to go out there and take care of business and we understand that. You can kind of feel the tension slip away from this team, and we’re just relaxed and ready to go.”

In other words, it sounds like the pressure they had been experiencing made them crack. And perhaps that's a better excuse than flat-out quitting -which some fans feel is a blasphemous idea- but it still doesn't explain how a team that has thrived on such pressure over the last eight years suddenly felt it was too much to bear.

“I just think because of all that we’ve been through this year, I think we just understand that now it’s either do or die and we’ve just got to go out there and relax and play football,” Cruz said.

Unfortunately for Cruz, last week was do or die … and they died. Now they need to not only win their game, but hope that several other chips fall into place exactly as they need them to or it will be an early offseason for the defending Super Bowl champions. It would also mark the seventh straight year a defending champion has failed to come back and win at least one playoff game the following season.

Tags: Football, New York, New York Giants, NFL, Victor Cruz

7 Responses to “New York Giants’ Victor Cruz: “There’s No Pressure for Us Now””

1.  demo3356 says:

GmenMania says:
    December 28, 2012 at 6:24 PM
    Just saw on ESPN that Chris Mortensen was reporting that the Gianta will undergo a larger than normal transformation this offseason, regardless of whether they make the playoffs or not. He threw out Tuck and Osi as two names that could be gone next year.
    __________________________________________________________________

EXACTLY WHAT I’VE BEEN SAYING FOR ALMOST 2 MONTHS!
    This team is going to be a different team next season. Far too much complacency amongst these vets. Too many vets making too much and producing too little. This was bound to happen eventually.. Especially with JR locking up so many of our great young players during and right after the first Super Bowl Run in 2007-2008. Guys like Tuck, Snee, Diehl and Webster were just becoming stars and JR locked them up early. Now they are nearing the end of their respective deals and after 2 Titles, millions of dollars and endorsement deals, they are no longer producing at a high level. Its a sad but common reality that hits all great teams eventually. It is the job of the GM to NOT cut ties a year to late.

•  turkish says:

Really sad. Tuck should be in his prime, but he is a flat out quitter. Seems like a nice guy. Just no heart or balls.

2.  James Stoll says:

I think Victor’s comments are nonsense.

3.  G-MenFan says:

Of course there’s no pressure.

Your season is over. The next time you’ll feel pressure is standing over a 2-foot putt with 3 skins on the line and your friends staring at you.

More like your new ‘friends’ telling you how wonderful you are while they purposely miss easy putts. Believe them. Same for that girl who thinks you’re soooooo funny. Two years ago she’d have crossed the street to avoid you. And let’s not forget your agent. He’s lining up deals for you. There’s the one guy you can trust. They’ll all disappear just as fast once the football ends.

So the Pats just dumped Ron Brace … former 2nd round pick DT. Looking at you Marvin Austin.

5.  G-MenFan says:

I was going to start my research for the draft and found myself not giving a rip. Couldn’t figure out why at first. Then I realized that the reason I’m having a hard time getting juiced about the draft is because I don’t have any faith in TC to replace the “quit and collapse” culture on this team. Once that’s in place, the talent no longer matters (see: Lions, Detroit).

I have always been a TC supporter. I did waiver once–last season in the first half of the Miami game–but for the most part I’ve wanted him here, defended him, and thought he was the best coach for this team.

Now I think his time here is drawing to a close if he doesn’t change course. I’d like him to stay but he’s got to ditch the “kind father” persona and get back to being a head coach in this league, which means holding all of your players accountable for their performance and not just the rookies. It also means restoring a hard nosed smash-mouth attitude. He has to pull Justin Tuck off of the soap box and replace him with Antrel Rolle.