December 28th, 2012 at 10:30 AM

As the New York Giants ready themselves for what will likely be the final practice of the 2012 season, many questions will slowly begin to surface. One that will come to the forefront is the status of defensive coordinator Perry Fewell and whether or not he will return in 2013.

A major contributing factor will likely be the defensive performance here in 2012, which has obviously been sub-par to say the least. However, compounding that issue was Fewell himself, who (essentially) said on Thursday that he's not the cause of the issues; that the onus falls completely and solely on the players.

“We’ve prepared better than what we’ve played,” Fewell said “I think if you look at the tape we’re in position to make plays. We haven’t made plays. … We’ve been in position. We haven’t made a football play for the last couple of weeks. We’ve been in position to make football plays, but it hasn’t gone our way.”

Fewell didn't stop there. He continued placing blame elsewhere, going as far as to call out some of his very own players. Case in point: Justin Tuck.

"I think Justin is trying to play hard, but he’s not making any plays," Fewell said.

While the players certainly deserve some of the blame for the defensive futility, it's a combined effort that includes the defensive coordinator. It's not the fault of the players when they are put into a 4-4-2-1 system that admittedly confuses them, and it's certainly not the fault of, say, Michael Boley, who is widely considered the Giants' best all-around linebacker and yet was used on only 21 snaps a week ago.

Self-preservation mode is an understandable reflex for a coach looking to cash in over the offseason, but comments like this may, just may, cost Fewell any hope of returning to Big Blue in 2013.

Tags: Football, Justin Tuck, Michael Boley, New York, New York Giants, NFL, Perry Fewell

33 Responses to “New York Giants Defensive Struggles are not a Result of Perry Fewell, Says Perry Fewell”

1.  kujo says:

It really pisses me off when I hear players and coaches say “we were in a position to make plays.” What the f-ck does that even mean?

•  Levito says:

It means “I think I’m the best there is. If a play isn’t made, it’s not because of me, it’s because of the player. By the way, anyone looking for a new head coach, I’m your man.”

•  demo3356 says:

I think he is referring to the near 30 missed tackles the last 2 games or all the times Webster was “in position” vs Smith but still got mounted and ridden by him… Either way it is an unfortunate and il advised statement for him to make

•  kujo says:

Didn’t he say something similar to this last year after Rolle came out and trashed all the complicated changes Fewell had made to the defense?

2.  kujo says:

Just saw that Vick has NEVER lost a regular season road game against the Giants, Cowboys or Redskins. A combined 9-0 for his career.

3.  kujo says:

Hey, let’s lose on Sunday and pray for a shot at Manti Te’o!

•  demo3356 says:

He’ll probably still be available whenever we pick. Several questions about his speed and how he grades at combine.. Heard someone say he could be late first rd pick

Teo? He’s good … but no Vontaze Burfict. hahaha …

As for Fewell … I was always kind of ambivalent. Didn’t like his style. Didn’t think it really fit what we all consider “Giants Football”. But then there’s that Lombardi in the trophy case … so yanno, can’t deny that.

But now he’s starting to pi$$ me off. His brilliant schemes never work … and this latest ‘not my fault’ routine is kinda puzzifying. Not liking it much at all.

•  demo3356 says:

scary as it is… I completely agree with you yet again. I’m not a fan of the bend but dont break defense, but I feel Fewell gets WAY too much blame from the uneducated masses here on G101. I just think this was a really il advised commentary on his part.

4.  demo3356 says:

Like i pointed out last thread, the most important aspect of this team that needs to be looked at in the off season is the Strength/ conditioning/ medical staff/ trainer staff.
    demo3356 says:
    December 28, 2012 at 9:58 AM
    I cant believe how often, how many players on this team are hurt.. It is mind boggling. They really need to look into why this is an annual epidemic going back 10 years or so. Just this year we’ve had
    Canty- Knee
    JPP- Back
    Tuck- shoulder
    Rivers- everything including vagina
    Williams- Knee
    Webster- Hand
    Rolle- Knee
    Phillips- Knee
    Prince- Hammy
    Hosley- Hammy
    Boley- Hammy (early in year)
    Blackburn- cant remember what he missed game for think it was ankle
    Coe- Hammy
    TT- Knee
    Kuhn- Knee
    Locklear- Knee
    Diehl- Knee
    Bass- Nagging stuff all year
    Beatyy- missed 2 games earlier in season
    Snee- ankle
    Bradshaw- neck, head and knee
    Scott- Knee
    Brown- Broken Leg
    Bennett- Knee
    Beckum- Knee
    Nicks- Knee -foot
    Hixon- head knee ankle
    It is easier to mention those who haven’t gotten hurt (Eli, Wilson, Cruz, Boothe, Osi, Kiwi and Stevie Brown). This is by no way an excuse as the team has the depth, they just played like crap, it is just to point out how many injuries this team deals with every year.

5.  Grateful Giants says:

I know its the whole chicken or the egg argument, and I hate the way the defense played the last 6 weeks. Its awful, and i would love to get Fewel out of here, give me someone like Ron Rivera, or romeo Crennel, I am very fed up with this defense but come on now.

Fewel is right, the d played like girls, two hand touching running backs, getting blown off the ball, running around QBs and missing sacks, not wrapping up, not communicating, its pathetic to watch what happened to such a “talented” group of flag football players.

At what point is it on the players? I understand a scheme can put people in the wrong position, leave huge holes, but come on, we were def in most of these games, and once we started playing grabass instead of football we had no chance.

Blocking, tackling, catching. These are the three most important things this team needs to learn how to do. And thats what they get paid for…Period.

It’s true … Fewell isn’t on the field making the plays. But that works for a game or 2 … not all season. It’s his unit. If it’s not working then it’s up to him to fix it.

•  demo3356 says:

I agree that players have played like Giant Vajayjays but a Coach is never supposed to publicly call out his players. I think Fewell gets much more blame then he deserves around here, but this was an ill advised commentary on his part.

•  Grateful Giants says:

Agreed. He never should have said a word. Be a man.

But dude, I pretty sure you or I could have been the coach and it wouldn’t matter, they just blew by the ball carriers.

I just want a new defensive coach who will tell the dline, to pin their ears back and play fast.

I think the Giants hang in there with chronically injured players because they’re a loyal bunch. They don’t give up on guys. This is usually a good thing. But after a while you just have to shed some of the walking dead. We saw them do it with O’Hara and Ruegamer. It just takes them a while. But right now … we’re loaded. And I bet they part ways with some of them. Not because they want to … but because we can’t keep going through seasons like this and expect to win.

•  demo3356 says:

I believe that they cut ties one way or the other with about 25% of the roster. I see at least 13 new faces on the 2013 53 man Roster. We could have up to 9 picks after the losses of Mario and Ross, we always add 2-3 UDFA’s and we will probably bring in 2-3 bargain vets in FA.. We have 24 free agents (53 man and IR- not PS) and 3-4 pay cut or release (Diehl, Webster, Tuck, Bradshaw) candidates. I see the biggest roster Shakeup of the JR era this off season.

•  Levito says:

That’s a pretty standard turnover rate. 25% turnover is very typical for an NFL team.

•  demo3356 says:

True but not typical for the NYG.. We are usually in the 8-10 range. I see AT LEAST 13 new players.. Could be higher. Team has done a good job of retaining talent the last 5 years but the core of this team has went from the 2nd youngest team in the NFL in 2007 to one o the older teams in the league. Guys like Tuck, Osi, Eli, Braddie, Snee, Webster and Kiwi were pups back in 07.

•  Levito says:

Of the 63 players the Giants have had on the roster this year (53 active + 10 IR), 19 of them were new to the team in 2012. That’s 30% new faces on the roster.

•  demo3356 says:

Yeah I think thats skewed with the Lumpkins, Torrains, Fredricks of the worlds and the guys like Shaun rogers and Mosleys that went on IR and never played a snap. I’m talking core players to this team.. 53 man opening day rosters from year to year. Not all the carnage at the end of a 16 game season…

•  demo3356 says:

From last year to this we added Wilson, Randle, Bennet, Robinson, Locklear, Ojomo, Rivers, Hosley, Brown and Hill. At least one of Hill or Brown would likely not have made it if not for TT’s injury and Sashes suspension..

7.  G-MenFan says:

In an earlier thread I said that even coming off a SB, Fewell had a 1 in 10 chance of getting bounced. Since he’s made these comments, I think it’s 4 in 10 now.

Reese has to look at where his defense is ranked and how it’s playing and ask himself: did I give Perry THIS much garbage? I don’t think there’s any doubt that there is talent on that side of the ball. Nothing but early rounders and FAs. When you put talented guys “in a position to make plays”, they make them. That’s why they’re talented. If I’m Reese, I fire Fewell.

•  demo3356 says:

As things stand RIGHT NOW I still see no chance he gets fired.. Now depending on what kind of backlash there is from players in the foreseeable future or of they completely lay down on Sunday things could change. Defensive rankings aren’t as important as many think. I believe the Patriots (AFC Champs) and Packers (15-1) last year were 2 of the historically worst defenses ever in the NFL and both were a GIANT beating from possibly being SB champs..

8.  demo3356 says:

I look at the unbridled passion and fire that really young but less talented teams Like Indy, Washington, Seattle and even Minnesota are playing with vs the **** hum less fiery approach of the much older (and two time SB Champion) New York Giants and Pittsburgh Steelers (both likely to miss playoffs) are struggling with and I’m convinced its time to get significantly younger and hungrier this off season. Coughlin is loyal to a fault so this is going to have to come from JR…

•  Levito says:

Agree here. A bunch of these players have 2 SB rings, when most in the NFL will never get one. And a lot of them have made a ton of money, and if they have a half a brain they’re financially secure for a very long time. I’m sure it’s not easy at that point to convince yourself to sacrifice your health for what, another ring? Guys like Tuck have nothing to prove anymore.

•  demo3356 says:

Yep.. they also have TONS more off the field stuff like endorsements and commitments.. Time to trim some fat…

9.  Levito says:

Every time I read Fewell’s quotes it makes me mad. Even if he’s 100% right, and in theory, he’s put all his players in the right position to make the plays, and called everything flawlessly, it just makes him look petty to blame the players.

I’ve never had a boss who didn’t take ultimate responsibility for the product of his/her reports. When something didn’t go right, they always shouldered the blame, took the heat off of their employees and put it on themselves to get it right. That’s one of the requirements of taking on a position of leadership, IMO.

I have seen it happen in the workplace, fortunately never by any of my bosses, but to me, even if the fault did lie on the employees, I always thought it reflected poorly of the boss to point fingers.

Now I’ve never been a huge Fewell fan. I was skeptical when he was hired because I was afraid he would try to put in the tampa 2 when the Giants weren’t really built for it. He’s had his ups and downs, obviously. He’s called some brilliant games, but he’s also called some head scratchers. He’s definitely not consistent, but neither is any aspect of the Giants (outside of the front office). So I’ve pretty much remained on the fence about him. But these comments really annoy me. Maybe I’m overreacting, but at this point, I’d be happy to see him given his walking papers. I doubt it’ll happen, but it would be nice.

10.  LUZZ says:

Te’o is the media darling because he has the heart warming story and plays for ND. But I’m sure the sharp GMs have Jarvis Jones of UGA rated 15 to 20 players higher than him on their boards.

He is the guy i would be coveting in this years draft, keep Te’o.