December 27th, 2012 at 11:00 AM

TRAVIS BECKUM AND KEVIN BOOTHE Pictures, Images and Photos

The New York Giants announced on Wednesday that they have placed tight end Travis Beckum on season-ending Injured Reserve (IR) with a lingering knee injury.

Beckum, who has been dealing with issues resulting from a torn ACL suffered in Super Bowl XLVI, has played in 13 games this season, but not had much of an impact. He's missed a significant amount of practice time, and was held out last week against the Baltimore Ravens.

On the season, Beckum has been targeted 10 times and has five receptions for 93 yards and one touchdown.

To replace him on the 53-man roster, the team signed defensive back Terrence Frederick off of their practice squad. Meanwhile, they also signed defensive back Brandon Bing to their practice squad – the spot vacated by Frederick's promotion.

If the name sounds familiar, it should. The former Rutgers product was a member of the Giants practice squad a year ago and with the team during training camp this year.

Prior to signing with the Giants in 2011, Bing spend time with both the Denver Broncos and Buffalo Bills.

Tags: Brandon Bing, Football, New York, New York Giants, NFL, Terrence Frederick, Travis Beckum

26 Responses to “New York Giants Place Travis Beckum on IR; Sign Terrence Frederick to 53-Man Roster”

I suspect this is the sad end to Travis Beckum. He was drafted by the wrong team.

Our stellar effort just made Ray Rice AFC Offensive Player of the Week. He should send the team flowers or something.

3.  kujo says:

Happy Holidays to my big blue brethren. Haven’t been on since last weekend due to running around for the holidays, and having a bad taste in my mouth about this team. I didn’t even watch the game on Sunday–I saw the first 10 minutes of the game at work before getting on the road, and didn’t even bother putting it on the radio to listen–I just knew we were going to get our butts handed to us.

In any case, the season is pretty much over, save for some unrealistic confluence of events. Is anybody else having to suppress the urge to root for the Redskins? Not in a “we could make the playoffs if they win” sorta way, but in a “Hey, I kinda like this RG3 guy” sorta way. I was talking to my dad at Christmas dinner and he said the same thing.

Can’t believe we are going to be 8-8 or 9-7. How the heck did this happen? It just seems like it just…happened. The team played lethargic, uninspired, unemotional, sloppy football for the last 6 weeks, and get telling us “Oh, we’ve been here before,” as though that was something to be PROUD of!!! WTF!!?!

There will be ample time to digest this season after this week, but goddammit if we don’t need some better OL and DL! I’m not really all that concerned with the free agents–that stuff will work out, or it won’t. Reese is really excellent at that aspect, and I’m confident that who we get will be who we want, at a price we feel is fair. But this draft needs to be another big one, or else the ROT will be on. This year we’ve seen a decay at positions of previous strength–CB, WR, DE, DT. We’ve also continued to watch an underachieving OL and LB corps. Drafting in the top 20, we ought to be able to shore up some of these areas almost immediately, provided Reese has himself an A-grade draft. We need it.

Yay, Reese will earn his stripes this year. It’s a mini-rebuild, and we shouldn’t kid ourselves that it will be bloodless.

Reese has to sense that the team is on a cusp. We could slide further down … or we could begin to rise. We can’t play a pat hand and expect to be contenders next year. Lots of questions need answers … and we may not like them. Some favored veterans are going to go … there could also be an asst coach shakeup. Nothing will surprise me.

•  kujo says:

Agreed completely, man. It could really go either way. It’s hard to tell what Reese thinks–was this a poor execution combined with nagging injury sorta year? Or was it something deeper–a lack of talent and heart? It’s difficult to answer that definitively, but it sure looks like the latter is closer to the truth on Sundays like the last 2.

I poke fun at Tuck, but seriously–as a so-called “Team Leader,” his output has been embarrassing for 2+ seasons now. I know he’s had “personal problems,” but I just don’t care. Everyone has bad stretches, but LEADERS are supposed to rise above it. He’s been Captain Zoloft for 24 months now, and if he really can’t get himself out of whatever this funk is, he ought to seek medical assistance.

I’m not all that up on his personal stuff details … though I know he’s alluded to them. It’s a crying shame what’s happened. He’s 29 !!! Twenty effing nine. This should be his butt-kicking prime. He was supposed to be the next Michael Strahan … not the next Meryl Streep. Whatever … he’s been a big contributor to 2 Superbowl runs, and I wish him well. But the act has gotten way stale. I’d love him to return to form. Not holding my breath.

So Sunday … the game will tell us a lot about the team. They’ve had their attitude questioned … their toughness too. Here’s a home game against a hated rival that’s completely crashed their season. It’s a chance to get back a little pride … finish with a winning record … settle an old score … and give the fans a good day for a change. It’s ‘man up’ Sunday … or not.

•  kujo says:

33-17 Eagles.

Vick puts on a show against our new 4-4 genius defense, while Reid out-coaches and out-thinks our sideline for his own swansong.

5.  kujo says:

Oh, and what the hell is the 4-4 stuff that I’ve been reading about? Fewell deserves to be fired, or “promoted” to another team’s head coach position, for that sh*t. That’s some Pee Wee/Pop Warner crap right there. I know a bunch of the high schools in my area run it because I’ve been to my godson’s practices. Seems perfect for a team that absolutely CAN’T throw the ball, but when your team has an efficient QB like Flacco, and a talented WR duo in Boldin and Smith, not to mention your own health and quality problems in the secondary, why the hell would you employ that sort of defense?

Fewell gets these brain f-rts from time to time. I suspect he thinks he’s a genius. Or maybe he just gets bored. But they never work.

•  kujo says:

Remember when he went all-in on that nickel set against Peyton a few years ago? And Peyton just said “Okay, we’ll just run the ball for 5-6 yards a carry.”

•  rlhjr says:

To confuse the offense is one thing. To confuse your entire defense takes either real genius, or a computer.

He managed a “Epic Fail” on the most important game of the year. Or should I have said the last most important game of the year. He’s had 5 and came up 1 and 4. A real Einstein this guy.

6.  Levito says:

Y’all are crazy if you think Reese will rebuild this team. He will make a few small changes, restructure a few contracts, make a bunch of small signings, and maybe, just maybe, make a splash with one highly regarded free agent. Then said free agent will spend most of next season on the injury report, miss 5 or so games, and generally disappoint when they are on the field.

7.  rlhjr says:

Merry Christmas/Happy New Year Kuj, I was starting to think you pulled a Norm on us.

REPOST:
    Well I hope Reese doesn’t undergo paralysis by way of analysis. I really feel he needs to overhaul this offensive line. And follow that up by obtaining help at DT/LB and CB in that order.

I think signing FA OL/DL and drafting properly will help fill some of the holes. And let’s just say it; The club may take a step back. What the hell, they’ve already taken a step back this season IMHO.

Better to change on the fly now than wait for the bitter end with the likes of Osi, Tuck, Webster, Diehl, Canty and Phillips. That’s way too much $$ for the level or performance given. Terrell Thomas should be given a chance, but he has to be carefully evaluated. If he cannot return to a high level of play, he has to go.

Reese has to either fish or cut bait with the young offensive linemen he selected last spring. The team needs offensive line talent (able to play sooner rather than later) protecting Eli and escorting Wilson and Brown.

I mean if the three OL picks Reese made in the spring are ready to play next year, then all is well. And Reese can then focus on the defense via the draft.

If those kids are still projects and cannot be trusted to protect and run block then the organization has to make a decision; Will they take the win now path, or will they utilize the draft to re-build piece by piece?

And that would mean getting the best available center, guard, LB and DT they can find in the draft. And not necessarily in the order I’ve written them. Personally, I think drafting is the way to go. Just my opinion.

8.  G-MenFan says:

I’m wondering what Reese can do with this O-line.

Beatty is a FA.
    Boothe is a FA.
    Baas is signed through 2015 and making a little over $4 mil.
    Snee is signed through 2015 but scheduled to make almost $7 mil per year.
    Diehl is signed through next season for over $4 mil.

Our 2 best O-linemen are FAs. This could be trouble.

•  demo3356 says:

Diehl is gone, Beatty and Boothe will be bought back. Snee and Baas will be given at least one more year. I see at least one OL being drafted this year and probably another Grey Ruegemer, Shawn Locklear type of bargain Vet FA bought in…

9.  demo3356 says:

Agreed that the Giants wont do much more than the norm in Free agency- 2-3 guys like Locklear/ Bennett/ Rivers Type but there will be much more turnover than we have ever seen on this team to date. We typically bid farewell to 3-5 big names a year. I think this year it is going o be more like 6-8 guys and we get much younger. Last year McKenzie BJ, Mario, Toelfson and Ross left the year before it was Ohara Snee, Boss and Smith. This year I see several lesser names leaving too. Several 2nd level guys are free agents and may leave. I expect about 15+ new names on the roster next season between 7-9 draft picks, a couple of UDFA and a few bargain free agents

10.  Begiant says:

I assume Osi will leave in FA

Webster and Diehl should either be cut or forced to take paycuts

Terrell Thomas will be cut because he is on the books for like 7 million unless we cut him. (I believe we have an opt out so we should be fine)

Then we would need oline and secondary help. An impact linebacker would be nice but I doubt we will try to get one. Jernigan and Randle will probably be slated for 3rd receiver