New York Giants’ Hakeem Nicks Expects More Production Over Final Two Games

December 21st, 2012 at 6:30 AM
By Casey Sherman

New York Giants wide receiver Hakeem Nicks has had a long, arduous season. Defined by injuries, beginning in May when he suffered a broken foot, Nicks missed the majority of the offseason and training camp.

'Eli Manning Warms Up with Hakeem Nicks' photo (c) 2011, Rajiv Patel (Rajiv's View) - license: http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nd/2.0/

It was unknown if Nicks would be healthy enough for the start of the season, but he would find a way to play in week one. Nicks then went on to have a 10 catch, 199-yard game against the Tampa Bay Buccaneers in week two, but he would re-injure his foot and knee late in the game. Nicks missed three weeks as a result, but has played in every game since, despite not being 100%.

Nicks has yet to amass 100 yards in a single game since that performance, and has only caught two touchdowns over that time. But Nicks won't admit his health is a problem.

"I feel fine," Nicks said Thursday. "Right where I’m always at around this day."

Offensive coordinator Kevin Gilbride understands the difficult time his receiver is having and came to his defense.

"The kid is trying as hard as he can," Kevin Gilbride said. "I could not be prouder of his toughness, and his commitment to the team, and trying to do as well as he can. But he’s not the same player."

"He’s still an effective player. He’s still a good player. He’s just — right now physically, he can only do what he’s capable of, and with the setbacks he’s had physically, it’s just not the same."

Nicks is far from matching his impressive statistics from last year (76 receptions, 1,196 yards). At this point in the season, he has only caught 53 balls for 692 yards. His struggles have had a direct impact on the rest of the offense as well, especially on quarterback Eli Manning. Manning has thrown 15 interceptions compared to his 20 touchdowns.

However, Nicks feels he and Manning are getting closer to being on the same page, and expects some big plays in the next two games.

"I feel like we’re just off by a hair," Nicks said. "I feel like that’s about to change."

Nicks had an unbelievable playoff performance last season, gaining 100 receiving yards in three of the four games, and catching four touchdowns. He believes he is capable of repeating that type of performance going forward this season.

"You just gotta have the right mentality and focus and keep working hard. The hard work definitely pays off,” Nicks said. “I don’t feel like I’ve been going through this for nothing. Something good’s gonna come out of it."

The Giants sure could use something good…

Tags: Eli Manning, Football, Hakeem Nicks, Kevin Gilbride, New York, New York Giants, NFL

7 Responses to “New York Giants’ Hakeem Nicks Expects More Production Over Final Two Games”

1.  G-MenFan says:

We’ve been waiting for “Hop-along” Nicks to be the impact player he was but he’s obviously injured beyond full recovery this season. He’ll make his 3 or 4 catches for 50 yards again and be a decoy but that’s about it.

It bothers me that they never came clean on his injury/injuries. It’s obvious he’s a shell of himself. I’d really hate to think that this was a torn meniscus … that they could have had it fixed … and tried to “manage” it till the off season.

If it turns out that this is the case … if he ends up with a scope job … then it’s one of the worst decisions ever. However we won’t know for sure who made that decision. Player … coach … agent … we won’t know unless someone talks.

A couple things really worry me about this game … first off, the Ravens are tough. They’re like what we used to be. A ‘punch you in the mouth’ kind of team. We’re the opposite … finesse on both sides of the ball. The only real tough thing we did was rush the passer, and that’s fizzled. Secondly, they need this game. They need it to nail down the Division … they need it to get back their self-respect. When teams are sick they very often get well with a visit from the Big Blue doctor. It’s worrisome.

•  James Stoll says:

Agree on all the points. Plus there’s the talking. To their credit, the giants are generally a quiet team, especially when they are going well and confident.
      But when they are desperate and the house is crumbling they talk and talk and talk
      I get that their trying to will themselves to better play, to more confidence, to the intensity they need to compete, but talking alone rarely does it.

•  G-MenFan says:

I understand the need for secrecy regarding nicks and bruises (no pun intended), but mismanaging injury is a risk that good teams mitigate.

•  James Stoll says:

As far as the injuries go, I’m guessing the doctors tell the coaches that if the player can take the pain there is no real risk to the injured area from just playing normally.
        I remember about 10 years ago I needed to get my knee scoped due to a torn rear meniscus. I saw the doctor about a month before a snowboarding trip to Park City, Utah. I asked the doctor whether I should cancel and he said no need. He said the knee was stable enough with the tear and the worst I could do was tear it a bit more and they’d just clean that up when they were otherwise in there. He is an orthopedist at the Brigham & Women’s hospital in Boston, one of the nations finest so I credit him for knowing his stuff. By the way, I did tear it some more.
        Not sure I agree with that approach as the way they repair cartilage tear is by cutting out the torn part, which leaves you with less cartilage, and puts you one step closer to an arthritic condition. But the point is, I’m guessing something like that is going on with Nicks.

4.  GIANTT says:

No realistic approach just an Optimistic thought . (Even Mike Golic commented ) First though ,last week I had a slightly sinking feeling just from the schedule so far . It looked like the Giants were due for a loss , of course I , in my usual fan-natic mode denied the obvious . But to get back to the present . The Giants have seemed to come back strong after laying an egg . Im just feeling that that will apply this week and that Eli gets back on track .I do feel that the pass rush has to improve to get to Flacco because is anyone realistically thinking that Ray Rice isnt going to get his yards ?