New York Giants’ Chase Blackburn: “We Have to Come Out Swinging”

December 20th, 2012 at 11:00 AM

Just how dire is the situation the New York Giants currently find themselves in? So much so that linebacker Chase Blackburn likened it to bar fight in which you have your back pinned up against the wall. And we all know (okay, maybe not all of us) there's only one way out of a situation like that.

“Our backs are actually against the wall now, and we got to play that way," Blackburn said Wednesday. “We got to come out fighting, swinging, just like when you’re in a bar fight and your back is against the wall, there’s only one way to get to that door — swing your way out. That’s what you got to do."

When you're in a bar fight and backed up, you had better expect some shots to the face … and that's right where Ray Rice and the Baltimore Ravens plan to hit Big Blue on Sunday. It's something Blackburn anticipates, so despite any flurry of blows the Giants may dish out, he also knows they are going to have to absorb some.

“We got to use our hands better when we wrap tackle and gang tackle. We can’t have the solo tackles, leave guys on an island. We got to get more guys to the ball, especially with a guy we’re gonna face this week like Ray Rice, who’s gonna put his foot in the ground and come north and south," he added.

18 missed tackles, as they had against the Atlanta Falcons in a 34-0 blowout, isn't going to get the job done. And if they can't correct that, it won't matter how much swinging the team does, they're literally going to get knocked out.

“We have to go out there this Sunday and play our hearts out, and hopefully we get in the next week’s game after that against the Eagles and get into the playoffs," Jason Pierre-Paul said. "I am not trying to go home early."

Game on.

Tags: Baltimore, Baltimore Ravens, Chase Blackburn, Football, Jason Pierre-Paul, New York, New York Giants, NFL, Ray Rice

10 Responses to “New York Giants’ Chase Blackburn: “We Have to Come Out Swinging””

1.  James Stoll says:

Physical physical physical
    That’s what we need
    Can we do it?

2.  jfunk says:

If only Chase Blackburn would wake up one morning suddenly owning elite athletic ability, our defensive struggles would disappear.

•  James Stoll says:

I keep thinking Rivers is going to contribute but I don’t think I saw a thing from him last week

•  rlhjr says:

To jfunk……..AMEN to that post. And to JPP remarks about last years run
      “THAT’S WHAT I’M TALKING ABOUT” It’s about what’s going on now!

Forget the BS. Play ball now or make your vacation plans.

•  Levito says:

Unfortunately that doesn’t have much of a chance of happening. Things which could happen that would instantly improve the team (and are not health related as far as I know):

- Corey Webster waking up and remembering how to cover
        - Eli remembering not to lock onto first reads or throw into double coverage
        - Osi stops selling out for the sack. And when he does, actually getting one.
        - JPP realize that he’s not actually playing “great” and start finding a way to beat his man
        - Randle staying awake in meetings
        - Tuck realizing he has several million reasons not to retire and actually earn his paycheck
        - Kevin Gilbride remembering that there is an intermediate passing game
        - Lawrence Tynes gets out of his funk and hitting a FG from beyond 40 yards
        - Linval Joseph realizing he outweighs most offensive limemen by 30 points and start pushing them around

3.  BLU-82 says:

One major concern I have about our pass rush is how often those guys are on the field. I couldn’t find too much hard data on snap counts on a cursory search, but in Dallas 2 JPP played 83 snaps. In years past, we saw a ton of tollefson in the mix. This year, you see a smattering of Tracy, sometimes Kiwi, and not much else as far as I can tell.

Maybe I’m just not used to Osi being our “reliever”, but I just think Fewell has these guys playing gassed consistently. And as far as DT is concerned, I think that was definitely the case earlier in the season as we were so thin- not much to be done about that. Either way, I think our line plays tired and I think that Fewell’s style of defense only worsens matters if that is the case.

4.  Grateful Giants says:

JPP gets held every single down. Every single down. Add a chip block here and he has no chance.

The refs are awful. Obviously all teams are playing against them too, but this year has been pathetic. To the point where the players have 0 chance to determine the outcome of a game. It is 100% controlled by the crap the refs are told to “use their best Judgement” for. and this is after the replacement refs. That Hernandez penalty against the pats was Bnllshit! garbage, phantom penalties that coincidentally give the pats an extra first down.

The NFL shot the golden goose, its dying fast as goodell takes kick-offs, cheerleaders, and the brown ball from the game.

He is destroying the game singlehandedly. Has he done anything good for the NFL?

Don’t these players sign a waiver before they start playing that says, I am a man, I am playing Football, a contact sport, I will get hit, hurt and possibly die? I know I make our 12-13 year old pop warner kids sign that waiver (or have their parents).

Damn that turned into a rant I didnt see coming.