December 19th, 2012 at 11:25 AM

New York Giants head coach Tom Coughlin took the podium on Wednesday in a bit of a mixed mood. Obviously upset with the egg they laid on Sunday, he preached consistency from the get go. At the same time, he seemed pleased that the Giants still control their own playoff destiny. But…those darn injuries… They always take center stage.

'Tom Coughlin Watches Giants' photo (c) 2011, Rajiv Patel (Rajiv's View) - license: http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nd/2.0/

There were nine players on the pre-practice injury report, including Prince Amukamara (hamstring), David Baas (hip/shoulder), Chris Canty (neck), Ahmad Bradshaw (feet/neck), Hakeem Nicks (knee/foot), Tyler Sash (hamstring), Chris Snee (hip), Justin Tuck (shoulder) and Kenny Phillips (knee).

Of those nine players listed, Bradshaw, Baas, Snee and Nicks will not practice. Phillips and Amukamara will. And the coach said he "thinks" Canty will as well.

"We'd all love to have him play, but it will be a medical decision," Coughlin said of Bradshaw's week 16 status.

As for the remaining two games, it's all about consistency, consistency, consistency and the need to have it on both sides of the ball. Accordingly, Coughlin says the team will need to rely on their captains and a veteran presence to steady the ship.

"We're hoping that everyone plays better and with more consistency. We're striving for that again," Coughlin said. "[Hopefully] Eli will lead us out of the inconsistencies."

Another thing Coughlin wants to see changed, immediately, are the missed tackles.

"It's concerning any time I see missed tackles," Coughlin said. Adding "players aren't in good position to make tackles."

Finally, there is wide receiver Victor Cruz and everything he's done for the Pinto family and residents of Newtown, CT. An emotional Coughlin spoke on that, and had high praise for his young star.

"[I'm] Incredible proud of what he has done. That family will remember that for all of their days … and somehow hopefully help some of their grief," he said. "The fact that he went and did that speaks values about what he has inside."

As Giants fans, w should all be incredibly proud of Victor. He is a true class act and a tremendous, loving and inspiring human being.

Tags: Ahmad Bradshaw, Chris Canty, Chris Snee, David Baas, Football, Hakeem Nicks, Justin Tuck, Kenny Phillips, New York, New York Giants, NFL, Prince Amukamara, Tom Coughlin, Tyler Sash, Victor Cruz

15 Responses to “New York Giants are Consistently Inconsistent & More from an Afternoon Tea with Tom Coughlin”

We can now see those 2011 things that made us SB champs in hindsight. No one saw it at this time last year except maybe Demo. Like this year only about half of us (if that) think we will make it to the playoffs. Once we are there especially with the SB experience we are a different team.

I think the Osi this year could be Webster. He’s slowly improved throughout the year and maybe he can return to form. Wilson provides a spark we didn’t even have last year. Even without Bradsaw we might be better at RB just because all of our RBs have fresh legs. We have Bennett who is much better than Pascoe or the limited Ballard we had at the end of last year. Nicks looks like he’s slowly improving each week. He won’t be 100% or probably even 90% this year but could be closer to himself than we have had. My point is there are signs that are positive like last year.

That said I think much of it comes down to Eli. Not only because he’s our QB but when it comes to underperforming I think Eli is in the team picture for this team. But Eli has always shown that ability to play well when it’s most important. I think we have enough around him that we just need him to play well and not great this year. That means some key 3rd down throws which we have been missing too much this year. Making that deep throw when we get a shot. And most importantly protecting the ball. Eli has made too many really bad TOs this year. Not bad bounces like 2010 but just bad decisions. Basically, if El ijust cleans up his game we can make a run.

•  Levito says:

I really hope you’re right about Webster. I haven’t noticed him getting much better lately, but I think it’s a product of our other CBs being banged up/targeted more. I really don’t know why he’s been so terrible this year, to me it looks like it’s been bad communication and releasing players the safeties aren’t expecting to be released.

I also don’t agree about the RB situation. We are better with Bradshaw/Wilson than Wilson/scrub/scrub, assuming Wilson gets some real carries with AB in the lineup. The other guys were on the street for a reason, and they have shown they can’t be trusted to hold onto the ball either. We just need AB to get healthy, which isn’t looking promising.

I do agree about Eli, but I just don’t think we can expect him to do it himself. Of course he played really well in the 2 SB runs, including some clutch drives. But he didn’t do it without the defense playing their best football, and I don’t think that’ll change this year. If the defense gets squared away, this team has a chance. If not, Eli’s not going to be able to dig the team out of the big holes the defense is capable of getting them into.

I think part of the reason Webster can improve is if the coaches realize that Prince is our #1. For example Webster shouls be on Boldin and Prince on Torrey Smith without question. And next week Wenster on Cooper while Prince is on Maclin.

I agree we are better with Bradshaw but I didn’t see a big drop last game from Lumpkin. Remember Ware contributed some key plays like Lumpkin can this year. I think Wilson at this point is just better than what we got from Jacobs and Bradshaw even towards the end of last year.

Baas again.

•  rlhjr says:

And as Kujo says, “It’s time for yet another rlhjr mock draft”.

I characterized Baas last week as one of the Giants tough guys.
      Unfortunately he’s a tough guy who’s always hurt.

So as I have been saying incessantly, JR draft a center and a G/T swing man who are not project guys. But due to tardiness, the draft picks do not match the number of holes to fill.

The holes with the exception of DB have remained the same for five years:
      LB, OG, ROT, C, DT, DB
      All are welcome to pick order of precedence. But I remain consistent in my wishes.

Really? He’s sitting out a Weds practice in week 16. He hasn’t missed a start. The OL by most objective measures has been at least average and maybe better than average this year.

3.  nick86 says:

Its not very complex….. Eli and the Dline need to play better.

A lot better. If eli and the Dline unit elevate their games, this team will make a run. If they dont, they wont… i don’t really care about the injuries or websters up and down play…

ITs all about eli and the dline

I think our DBs with Prince back can hold up without our DL being great. But we do need better play from the DL much like Eli. But I really think it’s mostly on Eli. Our defense hasn’t been great but it’s played well enough that if El was playing well we have 10 or 11 wins right now.

•  rlhjr says:

I feel you nick86. But Eli’s play is linked to his offensive line. Although I do agree he is not playing his best. But again the O-line and Eli’s confidence in them have declined along with his effectiveness.

The OL was much worse last year.

•  nick86 says:

yeah i disagree. were getting much more consistent line play this year than last. Eli for wehatever the reason has not played well. His decision making has been puzzling. He’s made a lot of poorly judged throws that he didnt make last year.

Also missing a lot of deep balls by a step or two that he hit last year… prob can be linked to Nicks being slowed and Cruz getting the extra attention

4.  Levito says:

?@art_stapleton
    Just asked Ravens coach John Harbaugh if there was still a fear factor in facing #NYG pass rush. JH: “I wouldn’t use that word. No.”

There’s no other way to answer any question about your team being afraid of another team … NO !!!

•  Levito says:

Sure, but there are ways to answer the question which are a little more diplomatic than saying they don’t fear the pass rush. Here’s Drew Brees from last year, before dismantling the Giants defense:

“I think they’re one of the most talented groups in the NFL, especially with their ability to get pressure with just their front four…They’re a pretty diverse group, extremely athletic, big, physical. This will be our toughest test of the year, for sure.”

5.  southernyankee says:

eli s problem is gillbride and he is thinking too much. the other teams know that he likes to audible on the line and are starting to set him up. they know what he see s and they let him see it. and that is why he plays so much better in no huddle. also wilson is not even close to as good as bradshaw. the o line is not good enough to open big holes for wilson to use his speed and wilson doesnt seem to have the vision bradshaw has.