December 17th, 2012 at 5:52 PM
By Casey Sherman

New York Giants rookie cornerback Jayron Hosley made his first NFL start in Sunday's giant debacle, and might as well have had a bullseye on his back. It became pretty clear early on that it was part of the Atlanta Falcons' gameplan to look for whichever receiver Hosley was covering, and that's exactly what they did. Hosley was plain outmatched by the Falcons' large framed receivers all game.

'Virginia Tech freshman Jayron Hosley' photo (c) 2009, Tech Sports - license: http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nd/2.0/

Hosley admits he made several mistakes during the game, such as using a certain technique when he should've used another. For example, on one play Julio Jones ran a go route, getting behind Hosley, resulting in a forty yard touchdown reception.

"He just got behind me," Hosley said. "I could have played outside leverage more. He's a fast receiver who builds up his speed. I should have kept outside leverage, and he just made a big play."

The rookie admitted to another mistake on a screen and go route which appeared to be the same play the Falcons ran earlier. His mistake allowed for a 37-yard gain for Harry Douglas.

"They had run a screen before that, and they ran it again and I played a little too aggressive on it," Hosley said. "The guy that had blocked me before [Douglas] got behind me."

Hosley accounted for half the defense's pass deflections, of course that's not saying much when you're the player Matt Ryan is targeting most. The team had only two total pass breakups out of 28 Ryan passes. Matt Ryan finished 23 of 28 with 270 yards.

The Falcons' receivers attempted to get in the rookie's head with some trash talk during the game.

"On the touchdown, [Jones] said a couple things but it's a part of the game," the rookie said.

Hosley suffered a sprained ankle but came back on the next possession.

"There was some pain, but I decided to play through it," he said. "It wasn't an excuse. You got to suck it up."

Tags: Atlanta, Atlanta Falcons, Football, Jayron Hosley, Julio Jones, New York, New York Giants, NFL

54 Responses to “New York Giants CB Jayron Hosley Targeted Early and Often by Atlanta Falcons’ Matt Ryan”

Sorry Jag, but we’re 15 weeks into the season. There’s no rookies any longer. Oh sure … a mistake here and there is to be expected. But you were beaten like a tin drum for the entire game. Hopefully you learned something … because there was a whole lot of teaching going on.

•  demo3356 says:

Sounds a lot like Prince last year.. He got it right by the playoffs though. Hopefully Swag will to

•  NOLAGiant says:

I disagree. When someone has yet to have their first career start I still consider them a rookie. To throw Hosley against Julio Jones and the (second) best NFL reciever duo in the NFL in his first start was a stupid move in my opinion. I would have rather seen a bad veteran start (Tryon) than a rookie in his first NFL start in this situation.

I know Brewer was drafted as a ROT project. But now we’re almost 2 years into the experiment. And with our ROT position in free fall I would have expected to at least see him take a few snaps. Someone please convince me that he’s not a bust.

James Brewer, OT, Indiana

At 6-foot 8-inches tall, a lot of teams will surely give Indiana University’s James Brewer a look. He is a towering and imposing player with good feet and adequate balance. For any team that drafts Brewer, they are getting a player that needs polish. Brewer has below average quickness and needs to better use his hands in pass protection. He relies far too much on his size and lacks the fundamentals to block at the NFL level.
      The offensive tackle class lacks a true star and Brewer can certainly fly off draft boards if he tests well at the Combine (and perhaps gets invited to a senior All-Star game). Brewer could afford to add more “good weight”, meaning muscle. For a man his size, he is not particularly strong and tends to lean on guys in run blocking rather than driving them with his lower body. He needs to continue to play well against the elite defensive ends in the Big Ten in order to separate himself.

Currently, there aren’t many positives to his game. But his huge frame will certainly whet the appetite of an overconfident offensive line coach somewhere in the NFL. Brewer has good enough footwork for his size to hold someone’s attention.

Brewer projects as a fourth round pick in the 2011 NFL Draft.

•  demo3356 says:

Didn’t Beatty take 2+ years to make an impact? and he was a 2nd rd pick

I don’t know …trying to remember the particulars. It just seems that with the raging dumpster fire we have at ROT he should be seeing the field… at least a little.

•  demo3356 says:

He may. We are one injury away from desperate times.. I think Beatty was drafted in 09 and didnt crack starting lineup till last year. He did play a little his second year but he wasn’t near the Project Brewer is.

3.  Levito says:

He’s a 3rd round rookie. He’s looked no worse than Prince looked at the end of last season. So he got beat by Julio Jones, it happens to some of the better CBs in the league. Maybe if he didn’t have to cover for 5 seconds on every play it wouldn’t have been as big a deal.

The kid has a ton of upside. If he improves as much between seasons as Prince did before this season, the Giants will have two really solid corners for the next several years. And if Prince gets healthy, Hosley will be covering #3s the rest of the season.

Bigger problems for this year’s defense is up front. And Webster playing like the 2007 pre-playoff version of himself.

I don’t think Prince played all that badly in our Superbowl run. But to be fair he wasn’t exposed to the extent Jag was yesterday. And I want to see this potential you speak of. But so far it’s been well hidden. Maybe once he settles into the slot corner role things will be better.

4.  Dirt says:

I’d like to go on record that I think this site diminishes whenever regulars leave. The sometimes frequent and elevated bashing of other brothers in this community is silly. I often disagree with many of you, but I’m not going to take a shot at you if I do.

After the tragedy that unfolded on Friday, I had a greater sense of community and hope and faith in my fellow man that people would come together. Here, less than 3 days later, the bashing continues. Prompted by football. A game.

C’mon, people. Learn to respect your fellow citizens.

•  demo3356 says:

Cmon, you know he will be back in a week.. This is the fifteenth time he’s stomped off in a huff only to return. He’ll probably forget what he was made about by Wednesday and be back in here reminding us that he predicted his own return before anybody else…

•  kujo says:

I’d also like to point out that talking sh-t to each other is EXACTLY what we do here at Giants 101. Bashing, smashing, pummeling, Sanduskying…it’s all in good fun. All of the guys and gals on here that draw my ire, or give me sh-t, do so because of what we’ve always said: this is the local tavern. Hugging and kissing is reserved for after we hoist another Lombardi. Until then, I’m gonna poke fun at rlhjr for creating a new mock draft every 16 hours; I’m gonna say that kinsho and tman need to bring their clinically depressed selves on her during the week before their vaginations on Sundays will be respected; I’m gonna make fun of Demo for being a slack-jawed fatard whose grammar looks like something I crapped out after a night of PBR and Del Taco; and yes, I’m going to point out that FF55 enjoys his own batch a little bit more than most. In response, I’ll be called a retard, a ****, a drunk and a dimwit who locked himself in a meat locker. It’s all in good fun, and we’ll be back here every Sunday to enjoy it again. It’s what we do. And it’s fun, unless it isn’t, in which case the exit is only one click away.

•  demo3356 says:

exactly.. I have called Kujo every name in the book and pointed out his lack of any knowledge relating in any way to Football, yet 5 minutes later we are on Facebook yucking it up or making fun of somebody else. Nobody should take anything said here too personally.

•  Dirt says:

Haha if only I was talking about just you two. A lot of retard, moron and idiot in a non joking sense going around here the last 24 hrs.

5.  kujo says:

Repost with an addendum:

Beatty- Keeper. Franchise left tackle, drafted in the 2nd round, and groomed during his first 4 years in the NFL.

Boothe- The most consistent and reliable player on the OL this year. He’s been healthy and has outperformed my expectations for his first full year as a starter. He’s a free agent after this year and should be retained for a modest fee.

Baas- Highly touted around here when he was signed, but has been consistently injured and “limited” since he’s gotten here. His mental struggles last season seem to have transitioned to physical ones this year, and he’s awfully expensive. Can’t imagine his $4.25 million makes his position as a starter on this team all that secure. He needs to be better, and I’ll bet Reese expresses that to him as he negotiates a restructuring of that really rich contract and drafts a mid-round center prospect this year.

Snee- While he was once considered “elite,” he has also experienced his second consecutive “down” season. Injuries, inconsistency and a lack of raw power seem to have humbled this vet. He’s not going anywhere, but this is the beginning of the end for him. Either one of the various projects we’ve acquired in the last year will replace him, or new blood will be brought in. I would prefer a certain right guard from the soon-to-be national champion Notre Dame be brought in, we will likely wait another year for something that drastic. That’s Reese and Co.’s modus operandi.

Diehl- Gone. Not much more to say here. We need a right tackle, and I really doubt it will be James Brewer, who hasn’t seen the field at all, or any of these project guys.

Locklear- Performed quite well, and will hopefully recover from his ACL injury and be back next year as our swing tackle.

Cordle- A backup, and not much else.

Mosley- To be determined

McCants- To be determined

Capers- He’s the Ryan Perriloux of 2012. That probably means he’s garbage.

And there we have it. We need talent and a concrete philosophy. Pretty easy to do, but it’ll take time. As Krow alluded to the other day, we’ve got 6 years of Eli time left. Reese needs to get it together.

EDIT: I agree with Demo that Beatty, Boothe, Baas and Snee will be 4/5 of the 2013 New York Giants. I am hoping that a new RT is brought in, but I have a sneaking suspicion that they’ll cede that spot to Brewer and a place-holding veteran (Locklear?) and give it another year before doing something drastic like drafting someone high. I’m also on-record as hoping we draft Mike Golic Jr. in the 2nd round to be the guard incumbent for Snee.

I think we spend $$$s on a veteran ROT FA.

•  kujo says:

That would not bode well for Brewer or the other project guys we have on the roster, particularly if they shell out big bucks to retain Beatty. I’d be all for it, but I think we’d have some pretty definitive answers about the depth guys we’ve been assuming were on the O’Flaherty Track.

I want Brewer to succeed as much as anyone. And maybe he’s right on schedule for all I know. But now would be a very good time for him to graduate.

•  demo3356 says:

I’m not sure we have $$$ for a real good Vet RT.. After we sign Cruz, Phillips, Beatty, Bennett, Stevie Brown and Boothe we will be tapped out and that is AFTER getting rid of and restructuring some vets.. I look for a pick in the 2-3 rds to go on an OL amd possibly a bargain vet like Locklear or Grey Reugumer type to add depth

•  kujo says:

Exactly, though I don’t see us being able to resign everyone you list.

It’ll be tough to find the cash … no doubt. I’m not sure we’re going to lay out a lot of money on Phillips though. That knee of his appears chronic … sad to say.

Think of how awesome our secondary could have been if Kenny and TT had good knees. Such a shame.

•  kujo says:

I’d also wager that there’s some hurt feelings on his part, on account of those comments he made recently about his opinion on the treatment of that knee.

Yeah, true. It’s got to be easy to go bitter when you see millions slipping through your fingers. He’s have signed quite a contract if he was 100%. Now his entire future is up in the air.

6.  Dirt says:

Week 16 playoff clinchers or go homes. Per NFL.com, the Giants clinch a playoff berth with:

1) Win + WAS loss or tie + DAL loss + MIN loss + CHI loss OR
    2) Win + WAS loss + NO tie + MIN loss + CHI loss

They will be eliminated from playoff contention with:

Loss + WAS win + DAL win + SEA win or tie

—-

Anyone who’s ever played a 5 NFL team parlay will tell you this is a very long shot, but, why can’t this be possible?

Giants over RAVENS
    Saints over COWBOYS
    EAGLES over Redskins
    CARDINALS over Bears
    TEXANS over Vikings

7.  wrdag says:

My point in regards to JR (who I feel is the best in the biz) is that the Grey Reugumer strategy doesn’t exist anymore, because those types of players are not available for a number of reasons.
    1. everyone is on the Pats bandwagon, which is give your QB crazy good protection and pour on the points. all of which masks your issues on the other side of the ball. Just decent 0-line play is a commodity.
    2. after this last pre-season you couldn’t find a semi decent guard on the waiver wire much less a tackle. example: Jim Cordle is employed in the NFL.
    3. the more colleges playing the spread and pistol formations, the less talented kids come out of school on the o-line for straight up pass protection versus a guy like Jared Allen.
    I would spend money on a right tackle and a decent back-up and sacrifice $ on the d-side of the ball. Keep Eli upright and clean with the likes of Cruz and a healthy Nicks alone could get you 10 wins. The D even on a budget could not be much worse than what we have seen throughout 2012. With Tuck n Osi gone or a year older and worse (if thats possible) we will never have a dominate D anyway , so why spend big money on that side.

8.  jb322 says:

OK, so I have been a regular reader for about 2 years and a Giant fan all my life. I finally took the plunge and signed up so that I can make some comments of my own. I have to say I find you all very well informed about the Giants, especially that FF55! (jk).

But anyway, I have to say that this team baffles me more than any Giants team since Fassel’s last year. The thing that bother’s me the most is the lack of urgency every other game. How is it that you can come out flat for the team with the best record in the NFL?

I don’t ever write the Giants off, because when they are motivated they are the best team in the NFL period. But I wouldn’t be surprised to see a bunch of turnover in the offseason if this group doesn’t get their head out of their ****. From my point of view, the problem is the veterans have to play like they want to be there instead of going through the motions. When’s the last time Tuck or Osi played at a consistently high level? Snee? Diehl? Webster? Boley? Thats $25 mil+ in payroll. That’s alot to pay for the level of play they have displayed. At the salaries they are drawing they have to win their individual battles more than they have. I wouldn’t be surprised to see them all gone in the offseason.

9.  James Stoll says:

The Giants have always been a wildly inconsistent team. I think that tendency may be exacerbated by the lack of practices under the new CBA.
    No one will be surprised if we come out and blow the Ravens away or lose to them by 100 next Sunday. If we beat them by 30+ Sunday, we are just as likely as not to lose by 75 to the Eagles in the last game of the season. That’s who we are.
    The only thing that is certain this season is that 9-7 won’t get in this year and that the Skins are winning out.

•  jb322 says:

How much of that inconsistency do you think is inherent in Caughlin’s coaching style? In general, I applaud his devotion to the veterans, but this year in particular, it was clear that guys like Andre Brown and Sean Locklear were better than anything else we put out there. I might be reading it wrong but it seems to me that the veterans on the Giants may have developed a sense of entitlement from Caughlin’s loyalty.

•  Levito says:

The Giants have started every season except one under Coughlin at 6-2 or better, followed by a second half slide. It’s a large enough sample size at this point to conclude that Coughlin plays a large part of it, for whatever reason. I’m not saying he’s not a good coach, you don’t win 2 SBs if you’re not a good coach. But we’ve seen enough in the past 9 years to know it’s not a coincidence.

•  jb322 says:

I have noticed that too. I always suspected it was because the Giants have a tendency to run a very complex scheme which takes teams awhile to figure out. But once there is enough tape, other teams find them to be fairly predictable. After that initial start we don’t adjust very well either. We seem to lack the ability to surprise anybody or change up to take advantage of mismatches. I generally like the fact the Giants line up and say here we are, this is what we are doing, try to stop it. But every now and then something unexpected would be nice. Parcells was the master of throwing that unexpected wrinkle out there to get teams off balance.

•  Dirt says:

Well, have the Skins, who’ve lost as many as this wildly inconsistent Giants team, proven that they’re a lock to win two straight in crunch time?

•  Begiant says:

They play the Eagles…for any team (except us apparently) that is basically a lock. The Cowboys game can go either way but I would not want to see the Cowboys in the playoffs. The Cowboys have a defense that matches up very well with us and a very good offense when they are in sync. It would not shock me to see the Cowboys run the tables this year.

10.  Begiant says:

For the Oline I agree with Kujo. We love drafting players and then hiding them for a couple years before asking them to become a main part of the team (or at least have a chance to fail). I look at players like Joseph…a guy who did not really play at all in his rookie year and then became a starting DT his second year. Fans of other teams attacked us for getting weaker at DT because we did not replace Cofield. However I assume that most of us had confidence that Joseph had the talent to step up and expected him to while other teams fans had no idea who he was anymore. I think we will resign Locklear or another cheap veteran tackle as a back up or emergency starter and have Brewer slated in to be the starter. However I also think without Diehl we have extremely poor Oline depth. Unless Mosely or Mccants have developed much faster than we thought we will have no backup with real experience. I think drafting or signing a interior olinemen is extremely important this year. That way if any olinemen is injured Boothe can scoot over to that spot and the new guard can replace Boothe…likewise if Boothe is hurt the new guard and just straight up replace him.

•  kujo says:

We trust our incumbents, our scheme and our coaches to churn enough coal into diamonds. And for good reason, too.