December 15th, 2012 at 8:30 AM

On Friday at approximately 9:40 AM EST, one of the worst domestic tragedies in United States history unfolded at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, CT. A lone gunman took the lives of 27 innocent people -20 of them children- before allegedly taking his own life.

Words cannot possibly describe this horrific event, or properly express how we as a National collectively feel. Political and religions lines are blurred in a situation like this, and we, as human beings, come together in compassion for all of those affected by such a senseless act of pure evil.

Instead of celebrating the holidays, 20 sets of parents must now plan funerals instead. 27 families will mourn the loss of their loved ones. And our country will likely never be the same.

To show their respect and compassion, the NFL has announced that prior to the start of all week 15 games, a moment of silence will be observed for all of those affected by Friday's events.

"This shocking event has brought the nation together in grieving for the victims and their families as well as the survivors," a league memo read. "We believe it is appropriate and important for us to collectively recognize and participate in the grieving process at our games this weekend, as we have done on other occasions."

As many professional athletes did, several New York Giants players (current and former) took to Twitter on Friday and early Saturday morning to share their condolences and utter heartbreak for those affected.

Chase Blackburn:

"Thoughts and prayers to all the people the tragic event in Connecticut affected. #PRAY"

Tyler Sash:

"It is times like these that make you stop and realize what is important in life."

Steve Weatherford:

"I'm at a loss for words. I'm praying for comfort healing & guidance for those affected by the shootings in CT. Hug your loved ones tonight"

Adrian Tracy:

"in times like these words can't suffice, and that's why we pray. #newtownCT"

Martellus Bennett:

"We can talk about changing the world in a positive way everyday and not see results. The change starts within. Be the change you wish to see"

Sinorice Moss:

"My Heart Hurts. #PrayForNewtown"

We here at Giants 101, like everyone else across the country, express our deepest condolences to everyone affected by Friday's events. Our thoughts and prayers are with the families and the Newtown community.

Tags: Adrian Tracy, Chase Blackburn, Football, Martellus Bennett, New York, New York Giants, NFL, Steve Weatherford, Tyler Sash

8 Responses to “NFL Plans Moment of Silence for Newtown, CT Victims; New York Giants Players React”

1.  TuckThis says:

Unimaginable.

2.  njm0m says:

Thanks Dan because I haven’t cried enough since I saw your first post on FB yesterday. Well said though. Fellow Giant Fan family please use today to hold on to your loved ones and remember how precious life truly is. I’m so sick of all the propaganda on the news and online today. It seems like those lives who have been taken have already been forgot because people can now use this tragedy to push their agenda.

I’m just so grateful that I had my babies to hug and kiss when I got home yesterday and I have my Giants to cheer on on Sunday.

3.  GIANTT says:

I feel blessed that I have my family to hug .

• Dan BentonDan Benton says:

I refrain from adding my own personal beliefs here for the better of this site, and I expect everyone else to do the same.

I completely believe you have the right to your own opinions, but we’re not going to discuss it here. This is about a tragedy and all political and religious disagreements can occur elsewhere.

I thank EVERYONE here in advance for abiding by that request.

4.  PittsburghJim says:

Folks,
    I’ve read a lot of posts. All intelligent & passionate.

Let’s remember: we live in the GREATEST country / democracy / civilization in the history of this planet.

It is because of Freedom. Individually & collectively. With those God given (in our Founding Father’s opine) principals, we choose to live in a very non-militaristic “state”. Daily. Monthly. Forever.

That will always make us, as a society, somewhat vulnerable/susceptible to the attacks of evil doers. Sadly, these cowardly acts incrementally TAKE AWAY our freedoms that we’ve taken forgranted.

However, those who forget the past, are….you know the rest.

It’s all another reason to be terribly melancholy, in addition to the loss of innocent lives.

5.  PittsburghJim says:

Sorry Dan.
    Just got pro-America & Democracy & Freedom.
    I’m done