December 15th, 2012 at 11:00 AM
By Jen Polashock

Too much of this week’s talk is based on January’s New York Giants’ home playoff win against the Atlanta Falcons at MetLife. It shouldn’t be. Stop with the “two points” talk. It’s nearing the end of the 2012 NFL season and while the Giants are the reigning World Champions, that game was technically a part of 2011.

'IMG_0873' photo (c) 2012, Matt J Carbone - license: http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.0/

While Atlanta did score two points on a safety, the Giants had issues with penalties (one holding that actually led to said safety) and had a slow start on offense that sunny day. Had Atlanta Falcons head coach not gone for three fourth-down attempts, it may have been a different ball game. Maybe, but probably not, as the second half told a different story. QB Matt Ryan threw 24 of 41 for 199 yards and their run game was abysmal. That won’t happen again eleven months and two new coordinators (offensive and defensive) later.

The big stat in that game was no turnovers. That will change on Sunday. The Giants fly down to the Georgia Dome with a defense that is second in the NFL in interceptions with 20 as well as forcing turnovers with 34. While most quarterbacks fear the Big Blue pass rush and have that on their minds (they’re 12th in the NFL with 31 sacks), the turnovers shouldn’t be ignored.

"The Giants are probably the best in the league," Ryan said. "They've got three top-tier pass rushers, and we know that from playing them last year. They'll present us with a difficult challenge. Their front four is very solid. For four quarters, they rush the passer as well as anybody in the league."

The Giants play the NFC South this season and remain the only NFC East team Ryan has yet to beat. The G-Men as well as Tom Coughlin know this.

"We just have to make sure Ryan doesn't get too comfortable back there," Tuck said. "Otherwise, it's going to be a long day for us."

Coughlin brings up the home field “advantage” and the changes in Atlanta’s offense.

"It’s very loud. It’ll be louder now because of the success that they’ve had, but it has to be done. The communication process is something that’s not easy. The focus, the concentration has got to stay imminent at every second, because right now what I really do preach is the fact that the intensity level of every snap now. Every snap is critical and when you look at some of the things that Atlanta has done in late game-type heroics you understand that. They’ve also had 49 points this year off of drives that were four plays or less. They are a quick strike outfit and so there are a lot of things that you do have to understand when you talk about the intensity of every snap right now," Coughlin said.

Exactly: Playing each snap as if it’s the last game-riding one that can help you advance or not is the mentality that needs to be brought down south. Every pass, catch, run, tackle, kick and penalty matters.

Antrel Rolle would co-sign:

“Let’s go out there like a bunch of crazed dogs and have some fun!” -Lawrence Taylor

Tags: Antrel Rolle, Atlanta, Atlanta Falcons, Football, Lawrence Taylor, New York, New York Giants, NFL, Tom Coughlin

7 Responses to “New York Giants Should Expect Different Atlanta Falcons Team than They Saw in 2011 Playoffs”

1.  GIANTT says:

Dan , my apologies for going outside the scope and intent of the site .

As far as this game goes , I still feel that Atlanta is the proverbial paper tiger despite their excellent record and hopefully the Giants establish exactly who they are and show everybody that they are ready to start THEIR run to the playoffs .

Anyone around here can feel free to call me an egotist or a windbag, but all I know is I haven’t felt this badly about a “national” event since Bobby Kennedy was assassinated. That period from November 1963 to June 1968 was a vale of tears, and I feel the same way today. I cannot find a way to think about this evil by putting it in a box and locking it away so I can find joy in the everyday things that make life so wonderful.

I’m so looking forward to tomorrow at 1:00 PM so I can lose myself in something for three hours. But this isn’t something anyone will just “get over” very quickly. If you’re not examining everything you believe at the moment I’d be surprised. The tune that keeps running through my head right now is the Stones’ “Shattered”. I thought I’d feel a teensy bit better today. I was wrong. It’s worse.

And it IS cultural, it IS religious, it IS political. Perhaps we “shouldn’t” discuss that here but pretending that those things are out-of-bounds on a sports blog about the NFL, which may even be part of the problem, is a way of shoving things into that box that I wish I could do today.

I think the Giants will win tomorrow, but for the first time I can remember, I don’t really care.

Oh, and yeah, OF COURSE I was devastated by 9/11. But for whatever reason, this has reached even deeper. I don’t really know why, but that’s the perhaps sad truth.

•  BigBlueGiant says:

I hear you.

You can never put something like this behind you. Nothing is better than seeing little kids happy, playing, running around, being…Kids. 20 of them were killed for doing what we ALL have once did. Simply going to school. Its hard to fathom.

My thoughts are with the families that lost loved ones. Having lost a sister to a drunk driver when I was 19 ( She was 22), I know what it’s like. The feeling is really can’t be explained unless you personally go through it , and I hope NOONE I know, or on this site has to EVER EVER EVER go through something like I did.

My thoughts are with all the departed families today as well all your families as well.

Now…. GO BLUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUE!~!~!~!~!~

3.  GIANTT says:

I think that as one gets older ,with each experience whether devastating or exhilarating or just day to day mundane , one picks up a little more knowledge and experience on how life should be handled . So a news item such as this will affect older more experienced people to a greater degree than to someone who has never experienced (as in this case ) a tragedy such as this . When these things happen people immediately rely on past experience to gauge the scope of their response and the more experience the more a definitive response becomes . Its this focussing , I feel is the reason that old guys like me relate to events more since they can bring up past similar experiences and bring up theright emotional level . Im not suggesting that this is a cut and dried plug in or anything but prior experiences do help one cope with the present .
    As ff55y says , lets look forward to tomorrow and remember that experiences like that help ease the pain and grief of today .

4.  GIANTT says:

Oops , forgot this was a football blog ( not really ) Go Giants !

5.  Rick021 says:

Trying to make sense of such a tragic event is never easy and rarely productive. As devastating as this is for those personally effected by it, the sad truth is that very little will change as a result. Collectively people have very short memories. While this event was certainly a tragedy, so was the last and so will the next be. People move on and the memories of such events, or the emotions associated with them at least, gradually decline and life continues.

Looking back the past 100 years mankind has dealt with genocide and horror on an unprecedented scale; The Armenian and Jewish holocausts, the genocide in Rwanda, Bosnia and Serbia, the rape of Nanking. More recently the events of Oklahoma City, 9/11, Dunblane , Utoya Island and so on and so on should serve as a reminder of man’s capability and capacity for evil. It’s not TV or video games or gun control (although that’s another argument) or politics or anything else that is the cause of these tragedies, but the propensity of man’s weaknesses of heart and mind and character.

The perpetrators tend to be dehumanised by the media and society of a way of separating them from the rest of us. They are described as evil and sadistic, but they were all at some point someone’s child or brother or parent or friend. Whether they carry out these acts as a result of mental illness, or following orders, or confused idealism, until people stop ignoring the fact that these are normal people with the same pressures and issues as everyone else then these types of event will continue.

My heart goes out to the families of this tragic event. I look at my own family and friends, reminded of the frailty of life, and appreciate and express my love for them all. I pray though that man awakens and has the strength of character and foresight and compassion for fellow man that at some point we could live in a society where we didn’t have to expect to experience such events.