New York Giants General Manager Jerry Reese: Man of Many Hats

December 15th, 2012 at 2:30 PM
By Jen Polashock

While there’s a temporary lull in the bashing of New York Giants General Manager Jerry Reese and how he does what he does, he is continuing to ensure that this team remains a contender for the long haul.

The NFL is in Week 15 and slowly but surely, playoff brackets are taking shape. Many teams don’t have the shot that Big Blue has before them as they remain “on the outside, looking in.” Reese’s vision -along with his approach (since 2007)- is to keep the franchise he manages on the inside track. This includes more than just sitting back and watching his players go out and execute or scouting for replacements of injured/IR’d players.

Every off season, teams are met with decisions on the hows and who’s to keep in their uniform. Solid organizations work on this all year long. Planning is crucial, as are player contracts and backups. While most of the world is focused on this week’s games and possible playoffs scenarios, Jerry Reese is behind the scenes preparing to maintain blue continuity for the future.

Rewind to this past March when the gates were unlocked for free agency and the impending NFL Draft. You remember – when many teams made their annual splashes and grabbed the biggest-named players from the available skill positions list? This was also the time when many novices (or so it seemed) spoke out about retaining certain Giants players and how there wasn’t a sound backup plan in place.

This organization isn’t brand new. They don’t approach things all willy-nilly. There’s a constant process that goes into what’s already established here. Waiting until the worst possible moment to admit there’s a problem with your team puts said team in the precarious position of constant under-achieving. Contingency plans and consistency are what Reese is all about 24/7.

Wide receivers Victor Cruz and Hakeem Nicks are hot interviews and at least once a month (if not more), they’re asked about contract negotiations. While they both deserve what they ultimately get, neither of them is demanding their due. They’re also remaining focused on the three week schedule that is left before them. The stress of discussing numbers is on Reese’s shoulders right now – however, it isn’t a major priority. These two players and how they drop their answers to the media are prime examples of how there is trust behind the Big Blue scenes and how they feel treated by the franchise.

“I’m just worried about playing the rest of these games out and staying healthy, of course, and the contract will take care of itself”, Victor Cruz told NFL AM Friday morning. “I’m pretty confident that the team loves me and they want me here and the guys upstairs want me here.”

Cruz isn’t the only one that puts contract talk to the back-burner during media time.

“That’s Victor’s business. Our relationship is like a brother relationship,” said Hakeem Nicks recently. “We don’t really deal with each other on a business side like that. We honestly don’t have (any) conversations about that at all. I know he’s a man, he’s going to take care of business the way he’s supposed to take care of business, and when my time comes, it will be taken care of.”

It’s December – playoff run football stretch, but that isn’t the only thing that is happening for blue…especially in New York Giants’ facilities in East Rutherford. It’s always Reese time. Trust.

Tags: Football, Hakeem Nicks, Jerry Reese, New York, New York Giants, NFL, Victor Cruz

12 Responses to “New York Giants General Manager Jerry Reese: Man of Many Hats”

1.  Dirt says:

Do we really think there’s a lot of bashing Reese here? If anything, my impression is that the regulars here would overwhemingly approve of Reese. Most think he’s the best in the business. Sure, one may disagree with one particular move or lack of move, but I guess I’ve never really sensed Reese bashing.

No gray on the internet, I guess.

•  Levito says:

I agree. Sure, people question some moves here and there. For example cutting Coe has been discussed lately, but generally speaking I think most Giants fans, especially on this board, feel like Reese is very methodical about his moves and always manages to put together a competitive roster. In Reese We Trust is a mantra which is repeated quite often around these parts.

Reese is fantastic and everyone on this site knows it.

This has been such a hard season. First Sandy, and then this horror in Newtown. The team will wear those initials on their helmets, for which they are to be commended. I just hope that they can concentrate on the task at hand over the next 25 hours. I think that HAS to be very hard. These great athletes for whom we root are every bit as human as we. I assume they are hurting too. I thought they would be distracted after Sandy, and in retrospect, they were (as Coughlin admitted later). This latest “incident” comes from the heart of darkness and would be, I think, hard to just put out of your mind. I hope that, at least for a day or two, they can. Won’t be easy.

3.  Jen Polashock says:

Kindly step out of your own egotistical ways, guys. Every article isn’t about G101 readers specifically/only. Big Blue world out there off this site. ;)

Speaking only for myself, my comment was certainly not meant as criticism of your article, which I thought was good. It was just a statement. I think the folks on this site are pretty well informed and aware of how good our GM is, even if the more casual fans don’t pay a lot of attention to how he goes about his business.

While I still think he has made a few questionable decisions, his track record is absolutely superb. I’ve said for years that he is certainly one of the handful of best GMs in the NFL.

I think you might do well to also write about Marc Ross, whom even a majority of serious Giants’ fans may not know as well as they should. he may not be with us much longer, but he is another absolute gem.

•  Dirt says:

I don’t see the world outside the lens of G101, Jen!

4.  Hanshi says:

I read other sites, not just G101 and the concencus seems to be about the same as here on G101. Some moves are questioned but overall JR seems to be thought of as one of the best in the business. I haven’t really seen any “Bashing”. Maybe some quotes should be included in the article like they are in the “Poor Eli” articles.

5.  Charlie Delate says:

If the world is going to end Friday. Please let me go down with a Giants Win.

I see the team brought up Terrence Frederick from the practice squad and waived Capers again. Hardly surprising given the need for a seventh defensive back (still at least one short of what I’m sure they hoped for). Does anyone know anything about him? I’d never heard of him until today.

I’m guessing, btw, that they brought him in to play special teams and allow for either Rolle or Tryon to not play on those, or to have a backup for Tryon on the special teams if he should be injured.

•  GmenMania says:

He was a seventh round pick of the Steelers this year, and has been on the practice squad for a while.