December 13th, 2012 at 12:39 PM
By Paul Tierney

'Super Bowl-6-2' photo (c) 2012, Stephen Luke - license: http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.0/ New York Giants running back Ahmad Bradshaw has a sprained knee. It's an injury that, although players at other positions may be able to push through, can prove to be debilitating for a running back. The exceptional levels of pressure that a running back places upon his knees throughout a game make it incredibly challenging to stay productive with an sprained knee.

Bradshaw garnered only 11 carries for 33 yards in Sunday's blow out of the New Orleans Saints. Although it was the seventh time this season that the veteran tailback has received 15 carries or less in a game, the Giants found their ground production from elsewhere in Week 14.

Rookie David Wilson exploded onto the scene with 100 rushing yards, including a game sealing 52-yard scamper in the fourth quarter. However, for the Giants rushing attack to be at full strength this weekend, Big Blue needs a productive Ahmad Bradshaw in the lineup.

Giants head coach Tom Coughlin said that Bradshaw may be the one player on the Giants capable of playing through such an injury.

"I am not going to speculate — because of the toughness of this young man — on how long it would be," Coughlin said. "He is very positive about it and definitely wants to get back as fast as he can. I am not going to rule him out of anything. I am not going to talk about the percentages or anything like that. You can speculate on that knowing full well what the injury is."

The full extent of Bradshaw's knee sprain has not been disclosed. However, the Buffalo Bills have just shut down running back Fred Jackson for the season due to a Grade 2 sprain of the MCL. Furthermore, fellow Giants Hakeem Nicks and David Diehl have both missed time this season with MCL injuries as well. Again, we do not know if that is the specific injury Bradshaw has sustained, but we do know that players with a sprained knee normally miss some time.

It's a long shot that Bradshaw plays this weekend. Given his injury history, the Giants will likely err on the side of caution and see if David Wilson can carry the load on offense. Barring a miraculous recovery, it's unlikely Bradshaw would be able to be productive anyway.

However, it's impossible to to understand just how much toughness, grit and heart No.44 gives to this team. He's an undersized, yet incredibly physical player with the ability to make big plays for the offense. If there is anybody that can play through this injury, it's Ahmad Bradshaw.

Stay tuned to Giants 101 for further updates regarding the Giants injury report as the team prepares for the Atlanta Falcons on Sunday.

Tags: Ahmad Bradshaw, Atlanta Falcons, Buffalo Bills, David Diehl, David Wilson, Football, Hakeem Nicks, New Orleans, New York, New York Giants, NFL, Tom Coughlin

24 Responses to “New York Giants’ Ahmad Bradshaw not Ruled Out for Week 15 Solely Based Upon “Toughness””

… or … we could let him heal up and use our #1 pick.

2.  JimStoll says:

Super Bowl odds

1. New England Patriots 3-1
    T2. Denver Broncos 6-1
    T2. Houston Texans 6-1
    T2. San Francisco 49ers 6-1
    5. Green Bay Packers 7-1
    6. Atlanta Falcons 9-1
    7. GIANTS 10-1
    8. Seattle Seahawks 20-1
    9. Baltimore Ravens 22-1
    10. Pittsburgh Steelers 30-1

That sounds about right at the moment, although I would drop Houston down to just below Green Bay and Atlanta, and move the Giants up to join Green Bay and Atlanta. I think it should be the Pats and the Broncos favored (largely because of easier paths to the game so a more likely chance of being there), the Niners just a touch more likely to make it thanks to their defense, then the Giants, Packers, and Falcons bunched together, with Seattle and the Texans right behind them.

But it doesn’t matter a bit where they are right now. A lot will change between now and the playoffs.

•  JimStoll says:

no doubt
        if SF beats NE sunday they move to No. 1
        if Indy beats Houston — look out!!
        or would it be Luck out?

I have thought for five years, as everyone here knows, that Luck is THE ONE. But no matter how good he will become (and I think he could wind up in the conversation for the GOAT) I think it’s nearly impossible that he could carry that team through to the Super Bowl. Roethlisberger and Brady got there as rookies, but because their teams carried them. In Indy’s case, the rookie carries the team. He has been other-worldly, but I think that’s too much to ask of a rookie playing that position.

•  Levito says:

Huh? Neither Brady or Roethlisberger made the SB as rookies. Pretty sure it was 3rd season for Brady and 2nd for Ben.

It was Brady’s second season but first as starter after bledsoe got hurt. It was big ben’s second. But they went 15-1 I believe in his rookie year but got upset by the Pats.

My memory is fuzzy that far back. My bad. I thought the year Brady replaced Bledsoe they went all the way.

•  Levito says:

GOAT’s right. I had to look it up, to confirm, but yea, it was Brady’s second year. He didn’t really play his rookie year, which is why it’s hard to remember. Not sure why I was thinking it was his 3rd year.

I see Terrell Thomas is back at the facility. I mentioned a few days ago that I fully expect the Giants to bring him in next season on another “prove it” contract and have him compete for a spot at corner. We have Amukamara and Hosley, and need three more. I would love to have Webster as an outside corner if he can manage to play up to a true #2 guy on the depth chart and will take a salary hit, but I have no idea what will happen with him. I believe we will draft a corner, but I also think it would be a fine idea to have TT in camp and competing. With all of this extra time for rehab his knee might be just fine. And if he could play as he was before his injury he would be a HUGE upgrade of the defense.

•  BigBlueGiant says:

It’s a huge “IF”.

But I do agree.

I think we may draft a few CBs. Or draft one and bring in a mid level free agent type of CB. The abilities of Rolle and Hill could allow us to carry less CBs but still it’s a position that needs to be addressed even if Webster returns.

TT is not someone we can count on. I think of him like a bonus. It would be nice if he can return but to me it’s more like an andre brown. Meaning his contribution should be looked upon as a bonus and not expected. His career reminds me of Will Peterson (James).

Tom Coughlin says Kenny Phillips had a “setback” against Washington Redskins – isn’t sure how much more time he needs.

2012 OFFENSIVE LINES

This ranks our OL 1st pass blocking and 2nd run blocking.

•  Levito says:

Clearly, that list is a load of crap. If we had the 2nd best run blocking line with Brown and Bradshaw, they’d have combined for over 2k yards by now.

•  rlhjr says:

Have to agree with Levito. Another by product of a high level O-line is scoring once you get inside the twenty yard line. That’s when really good O-lines shift into another gear. Because the smell blood.

It might be being more critical of the RBs. I’m sure how they are analyzing it but they say run blocking, not running game. We are 9th in the NFL in yards per attempt so it’s not as crazy as it sounds. Pass blocking wise I see because Eli has had time this year. We have given up the least sacks which Eli helps with but is still influenced by the OL.

6.  Dirt says:

I remember when they used to refer to Allen Iverson as the toughest guy in basketball because he was always hurt. The way I see it, he was always hurt.

Eli Manning, that guy’s tough. I know of two times he was hurt, and didn’t miss a game. I’m sure he’s been hurt more, and he’sbeen pounded pretty good at times, but you never hear about it, because he’s tough.

•  rlhjr says:

Man you talking bout practice? I mean Practice? :)

•  rlhjr says:

I watched AI come up. His first love was football. And it’s pretty much known around the state of Virginia that Iverson (Running back and safety) was the best kick/punt returner in the state…bar none. Tough as nails was AI.

•  Levito says:

Yea, the “separated shoulder” and the plantar fasciitis are the incidents I think you’re referring to. There was also the bloody forehead incident in the preseason. But no question this guys taken some hard hits and hasn’t missed a beat.

Granted he hasn’t been rocked repeatedly like Vick, or taken as hard a blow as Colt McCoy last year, but that’s also by design. He doesn’t hold onto the ball for too long and, usually slides long before contact when running, with the run against the Packers being a rare exception.

7.  rlhjr says:

Giants tough guy list:

Bradshaw Nicks Eli Kiwi
    Tuck Role Phillips Boley A. Brown
    Hynusarus Herzlich Blackburn Diehl Baas

No particular order. I suspect there are more who I overlooked.
    Especially on defense.