Former New York Giants Safety Chad Jones Works Out for Philadelphia Eagles

December 12th, 2012 at 8:30 AM

For safety Chad Jones, the dream of returning to the NFL after a horrific single-car accident nearly cost him his life remains alive and well. On Monday, the former LSU star had a workout with the Philadelphia Eagles, who were evaluating his progress and determining if he had any value for next season.

"Leg feels great, man," Jones told USA Today. "I feel good moving around on the field. I was moving around about 90 percent. My backpedal was crisp, my drive on the ball was good. I always have the ball skills, catching the ball. But I actually felt good being on another NFL field again."

Jones, a 2010 third-round pick (76th overall) of the New York Giants, recently took part in a documentary that detailed the hard work he's put in and continues to put in as he attempts to do the unthinkable. "Always a Fire" offers a unique -and graphic- look at Jones' injury and the efforts taken to prove all of his Doctors wrong. "You'll never play again" has not been an acceptable mantra for the two-sport athlete, and his workout with the Eagles shows there's still some hope.

Whether it's with the Eagles or any other NFL team, we here at Giants 101 continue to wish Jones the very best, and hope to see him on the field next season.

Michael Coe Waived … and Claimed:

Former Giants cornerback Michael Coe, who was waived off of Injured Reserve (IR) in late November, found himself floating down the waiver wire yet again after being released by the Miami Dolphins earlier this week. Alas, the trip was short-lived as he was claimed off of waivers by the Dallas Cowboys.

Even if Coe had cleared waivers, he would not have been eligible to sign with the Giants until the 2011-2012 season had officially ended.

Tags: Chad Jones, Dallas, Dallas Cowboys, Football, LSU, Michael Coe, New York, New York Giants, NFL, Philadelphia, Philadelphia Eagles

6 Responses to “Former New York Giants Safety Chad Jones Works Out for Philadelphia Eagles”

1.  Levito says:

While I don’t want to see any former Giant play for a division rival, good luck to Chad, and I hope he gets a chance somewhere.

Yeah, you have to root for this kid. But I would not be thrilled if he’s wearing the uniform of another NFC East team.

By the way, I saw Adcock play a lot in college. He actually has some potential. I’m surprised he was available to the Giants. And playing well in the Big 12 is a lot more impressive than many casual fans realize. Hey, look what some former Big 12 teams did to the vaunted SEC teams they’ve played of late. That conference has a lot of really good players in it. And Levy Adcock was a top offensive lineman at OSU for a few years.

3.  The Original G Man says:

Sports Illustrated on Eli Manning: “It’s clear that, at 31, Manning is the best quarterback alive if you want to win a title.”

4.  The Original G Man says:

This morning I rewatched the Giants playoff win over Atlanta. Yes, I still have it saved on my TIVO. What a dominating performance.

In any event, near the end of the game, Troy Aikman had some interesting observations about the then upcoming Giants – Packers 2nd round match-up and how things are different for a team when you’ve had success against a particular opponent. He made the point that because of the win vs GB in the NFC Championship in ’08 and the way that they fought them to a draw in the regular season, that they would go into that game feeling very confident.

No brainer, I know. It’s analysis that all of us voiced at the time.

However, he also said the opposite is true. That if you have NOT had success against a particular opponent that “you feel terrible from the very moment you get to the stadium.” Found that interesting, especially if we make it into the tournament. For us to get to the Super Bowl we’ll potentially be facing a whole bunch of teams who we have had great success against (GB, SF, ATL)

•  Levito says:

I feel like it can go both ways. Last season, the Giants lost close games to the 49ers and Packers before beating them in the platoffs. In 2007, they lost solidly to the Cowboys (twice) and Packers, before beating them in the playoffs.

5.  The Original G Man says:

David Wilson’s 227 kick return yards were the most by a 100-yard rusher in a game, per the NFL, and the three previous record holders are all in the Hall of Fame: Steve Van Buren, Gale Sayers and Walter Payton.