December 10th, 2012 at 11:45 AM

Lost in the spotlight that rightfully shown on New York Giants rookie running back David Wilson and his record-setting night was the record-setting night of third-year safety Stevie Brown, who added two more interceptions to his team-leading total (7).

The interceptions themselves, as impressive as they are, aren't the story. The story is what Brown has done once he's gotten the ball in his hands … and that is run. In fact, he's run for 259 yards, setting a single-season franchise record that has stood since 1963 when cornerback Dick Lynch had 251 interception return yards (safety Emlen Tunnell also had 251 in 1949).

“Stevie finds the ball, or the ball finds him, one way or the other,” head coach Tom Coughlin said.

Brown's 259 interception return yards ranks him 16th all-time. Darren Sharper ranks #1 on that list with 376 interception return yards, which occurred in 2009 when he had nine interceptions as a member of the New Orleans Saints.

“I always knew I had it in myself,” Brown said. “I was just waiting for my opportunity.”

In addition to his franchise record in interception return yards, Brown's 70-yard interception return on Sunday was the longest since Kevin Dockery returned one 96-yards against the Dallas Cowboys on October 23, 2006.

Photo Credit: Mike Gannon

Tags: Football, New York, New York Giants, NFL, Stevie Brown, Tom Coughlin

16 Responses to “New York Giants’ Stevie Brown Sets Franchise Record with 259 Interception Return Yards”

1.  kujo says:

Seriously, who the hell is this guy? I mean, this sort of production from the safety spot is Victor Cruz-like. I can’t be the only person who hadn’t a f’n clue about this kid going into the season. I knew about Hill, and had even seen Tyler Sash play a bit as Iowa.

No one knew. Come on he went to Mich and was a 7th round pick. I think this might be a better find than Cruz. Not a better player but a small kid school can just be overlooked. A big school diamonded in the rough like him is harder to find. I readily admit I wanted to cut him and go with 3 safeties until Sash returned. He’s been a huge surprise, the biggest on the roster IMO. Even guys like Andre Brown and Will Hill a few of us thought could play but I don’t recall anyone saying more than Brown could be good on special teams.

•  Levito says:

Yea, nobody knew. On top of that he floated around practice squads for the past few years before landing on the Giants. He’s one INT behind the lead in the NFL and leads the league in takeaways. Crazy. He just has a nose for the football. Sometimes he’s just in the right place, other times he just makes a perfect read.

2.  Dirt says:

This was hidden below the fold on the last thread, but I think this is important:

Simon is spot on. If [Wilson]’s on the field, defenses need to worry. We officially have threats at receiver, tight end and running back. Like the Saints of old, this is an offense to be feared now.

Brown is a great story, and what TC said is true. Either he finds the ball or the ball finds him. Doesn’t matter. Just one of those great things.

I can’t imagine anyone knew how good he could be but I do remember TC saying that he liked what he was showing in camp. The thing you have to recognize is that had it not been for Phillips’ injury and Sash’s suspension and Thomas’ injury (making the coaches think they might need Rolle to play in the slot again after all) this guy probably never really gets a chance. There are plenty of guys who could play in the NFL who don’t get a real chance simply because of who on the team is higher up the depth chart.

Incredible that he is doing this. I still thought he was a flash-in-the-pan until a few games ago and was just lucky that the ball kept coming his way. But the thing is, he CATCHES the ball (something many of our defensive backs do not do well) and then he really knows what to do with it.

As I said earlier today, he and Will Hill (whom I knew was going to be really good) have quite possibly made KP expendable if the price for his services goes too high. I love Kenny Phillips, but if another team is willing to pay up for his talent and ignore the health risks I suspect our cold-blooded GM will wish KP the best of luck as he watches him leave. I’d be very sorry about that, but it could happen.

•  Levito says:

Same can be said for Cruz. Had Hixon not torn his ACL against the Rams, and Manningham not missed the game against the Eagles last season, Cruz doesn’t get his chance and have his breakout game against the Philly.

4.  Dirt says:

As I’m said to be grasping at straws, here’s my last post on all things Bradshaw/Wilson (until I’m baited into it again).

As frustrated as I’ve been all year, I’ve held that one bit of belief that he’d be asked by Coughlin to run wild at the end of the year against tired defenses. And so here we are. End of year. But, the risk of that strategy has been somewhat costly.

You see, while Bradshaw ran 11 times for 3.3 YPC in the second half last week, the game was lost. And with that game, so was the opportunity to bury Washington. Had they beaten them, they’d be 6-7 right now, 3 games back with 3 to play and having been swept so having no tie breaker. In other words, the season would be over for them. And the Giants would own a 2 game lead over Dallas, needing only 1 more win to clinch the division.

But, we got Bradshaw, 3-and-outs, a tired defense stuck on the field, and a loss. A losss that’s effectively worth 2, since we lost the tie breaker and need to actually finish higher than them now.

So, in my opinion, we’ve waited one week too long. Better late than never, but, raise your hand if you think losing that game was a good thing, watching adshaw run into blockers the entire time.

And this thing about his blocking ability. I present facts and opinions:

- Super Bowl champion Coughlin has turned to journeymen such as Ward, Ware and Blumkin to be 3rd down backs during Bradshaw’s tenure (fact).

- Maybe because he has hands of stone (fact)

- Maybe because he has no idea how to run routes or follow blockers (fact; Jacobs has a higher yards per catch than Bradshaw)

- Or maybe it’s because protecting Eli is so critical (fact) that they need someone they’re confident in, and have most of the time chosen someone other than Bradshaw to do it (fact; Blumkin’s brand new, has no idea where to lineup and he’s even been out there)

- Therefore the coaches aren’t even all that high on Bradshaw’s blocking (opinion)

Which brings me back to the top: they were saving him for the stretch run. Just a game or two too late (at least), in my opinion.

•  jfunk says:

No doubt, if we don’t make the cut PHI-1 and WAS-2 will be the games that punch you in the gut when you look back at the schedule.

However, I don’t believe it’s possible to know that the coaches were deliberately saving Wilson. The logic that because Wilson played well when used means that he would have played well if used earlier is flawed.

Giants rookies tend to play well when called upon. I think it’s more likely that the coaches do a good job of preparing them and putting them into position to succeed than it is the coaches are fools and all these kids were NFL ready the moment they walked in the door.

•  Dirt says:

Yeah. I think (I know) I don’t type clear points on my cell phone here, but I don’t disagree with you. I guess what I’m saying is that you’re right, the rookies play well, so that’s good, albeit frustrating while waiting for it to materialize, but the flip side is, it’s a risk to wait too long to unleash.

Without a doubt, Bradshaw was ineffective the last 2 games. We know Wilson tore up the same opponent in one of the games. We’ll never know about the other game.

5.  kujo says:

The Baltimore game got flexed to 4:25

6.  Levito says:

If the Giants don’t make the playoffs, it’ll be whatever game(s) they don’t win between now and the end of the season. They are currently in control of the division and any loss before the end of the season would be the one everyone looks back on and says was the one that got away. They play nothing but winnable games from here on out and are supposed to play their best football in the situation they’re currently in.

Atlanta just got smacked down by a bad Panthers team. They doubt is starting to creep up and they haven’t been running well. What, a one-dimensional passing offense up next? This plays right into the Giants hands.

The Ravens just fired their offensive coordinator. Jim Caldwell calling plays? Oh, cool, because he’s called plays…well..never! Ray Lewis less than 100%, Suggs either out or less than 100%? No excuses here.

And Philly. Absolutely no excuses for losing to this team. Especially considering the situation both teams will be in at the time.

For the pessimist, here’s our wildcard state. Chicago lost yesterday and play GB next week. If Chicago finishes at 10-6 and we did too but second in the division to Was or Dal team that wins out then we would get a wildcard spot due to a better conference record. So simply put another loss by Chicago and we are guaranteed to make the playoffs at 10-6 no matter where the loss would come from. Dallas and Washington play each other so both of them can’t be 10-6. We would own the conference record tiebreaker over Minn as well.