December 10th, 2012 at 10:15 AM
By Simon Garron-Caine

Giants 101 already wrote about David Wilson once this morning, but there's so much more to say other than the stats: a franchise record 327 all-purpose yards and three touchdowns don't even begin to illustrate the impact Wilson had for the New York Giants in yesterday's 52-27 romp over Drew Brees and the New Orleans Saints.

'DSC_0254' photo (c) 2009, Tech Sports - license: http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nd/2.0/

Like any game where nearly 80 points are scored, yesterday seems like a long, foggy madness of touchdowns and turnovers…brightly punctuated throughout by Wilson's big plays. And those big plays did a lot more for Big Blue than accumulate a ton of yards.

Wilson single-handedly steered the narrative, inserting himself at key moments and turning the plot in favor of the protagonists. It was the perfect setting for a dark Giants tragedy: the cold, the rain, Eli Manning interceptions, the mere presence of Drew Brees…but Wilson betrayed the author's cruelest intentions and became more than a backup running back.

He became a symbol.

He re-instilled spark in an offense that had clearly lost it: the quarterback slumping badly; the star receiver hobbled; the other star receiver invisible at times; the running game stagnant behind a flawed offensive line and a warrior lead back in the midst of breaking down.

But after the second long kickoff yesterday, everyone in the house knew it; the Giants, the Saints, the fans…probably Wilson himself. They knew that every time the kid got the ball the rest of the day, there'd be that feeling in your stomach: is he gonna do it again?

And it's that feeling, that big-play-at-any-moment element, that the Giants have been missing lately. Victor Cruz brought it last year. Ahmad Bradshaw brought it his rookie season. And it looks like the Giants will need Wilson to bring it this year.

Sure, he can reinvigorate the running game, but a few explosive plays a game can have effects well beyond moving the ball and scoring a few points. His explosive dynamic presents intangible benefits threefold: it provides, maintains and changes momentum; it at times single-handedly takes the offense out of slumps; and perhaps most importantly, it puts defenses on their heels.

The Giants now have a guy who can take back a kickoff and even up a game after the quarterback throws a Pick-6 to put them in a 7-0 hole.

They now have a guy who can make one cut and take it 52 yards to the house untouched.

They now have a guy with the patience and discipline to wait for his hole to open up on 3rd-and-2, extending important drives late in games.

And as Manning has so clearly struggled behind an inconsistent offensive line, without a healthy Hakeem Nicks and an also somewhat inconsistent Cruz, they clearly need that guy. A little juice in the running game, a little something for defenses to think about, and everything opens up again for Eli.

David Wilson looks like that guy.

And we haven't seen that around here since……Ahmad Bradshaw's late-year rookie season breakout in 2007.

Tags: Ahmad Bradshaw, David Wilson, Drew Brees, Eli Manning, Football, Hakeem Nicks, New Orleans Saints, New Orleans, New York, New York Giants, NFL, Victor Cruz

48 Responses to “David Wilson Dominates Monday Morning Hangover After New York Giants Beat Saints 52-27”

Repost:

I don’t want to repeat what already has been said but I to point out a few things. I thought our defensive leader reponded with on the field play. And that’s Mr Rolle. He forced a fumble, tipped a pass that Brown intercepted and made a crutial 3rd down stop in the redzone. He talked the talked and then walked the walk. He’s been underrated by some of us including me.

I think it shows a lot to win a game in this fashion when Eli in my view was just ok. The 2 interceptions were horrible decisions. The second interception has been discussed but the first interception even if the pass was behind Jernigan he was open and another defender was right there. Eli is just not making the decisions he made last year. He needs to step it up.

If RG3 plays next week he really is super human. His knee went bent in such a way I’m shocked he didn’t injured an legiments. But anyway before this game I already predicted a loss for Washington next week. I think that’s such a tough game for a newly “good” team to win. Clevland has even played better than there not so bad record of 5-8.

I think yesterday showed that we are the ultimate procrastination team. I’m not sure we win if Wash and Dallas don’t win. But when the chips are really down that’s when we play our best.

This Atl game was made harder because they lost. But still having watched Atl many weeks much like Bmore their record is a mirrage and not really matching how Atl has played. Like I said the other day my surprise team to miss the playoffs is Bmore. With Den, us and Cin remaining and looking how they are playing I wouldn’t be shocked if the lost all 3 games.

Also on the wildcard front the NFC east is back in the mix. Chicago is now 8-5 and plays GB next week. So Even if we win out Wash or Dallas could still have a path in the playoffs if they keep winning. If SF losses at NE next week I think seattle wins the west.

•  Valid says:

Don’t see Baltimore missing the playoffs. They get Ray Lewis back next week, and even if he isn’t up to par physically, his mere presence on the field is going to give that team a HUGE lift. I think they beat Denver.

It’s not likely but looking at their schedule it’s possible. What makes you think they will beat denver? Bmore should have lost SD and could have lost to Pitt the fist time.

•  kinsho says:

Baltimore is still a ridiculously good team. I project that we will struggle against them. In fact, something tells me we’ll lose against them.

•  demo3356 says:

Baltimore is a fraud. They are the worst 9-4 team I’ve seen in a very long time. They are the second biggest fraud in the NFL besides the Bears. They wont miss the playoffs because they only need to win one of there final 3 to get in but they will be one and done once they get there.

•  kinsho says:

Normally, I’d give you my reasoning here as to why I think otherwise, but I just found out the Ravens fired their OC today.

Well, shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit…….looks like they won’t be going anywhere this season.

2.  Dirt says:

So where’s the evidence that Bradshaw is better at blocking? Not saying he isn’t, but there’s an inherent assumption he is better whenever someone bring this topic up that Wilson needs to be a pass blocker.

And on Wilson’s coming out party, not only did Bradshaw have 3 YPC, but he also had a holding penalty on a block he missed.

His coaches would probably tend to agree Bradshaw’s no blocking standout – they made Ware and Ward 3rd down backs during Bradshaw’s time here. So it’s not like he’s proven himself a beastly blocker. Or catcher. Or route runner.

•  Valid says:

In Bradshaw’s defense, that holding penalty may have been the worst holding penalty I’ve ever seen called. All Bradshaw did was stick his hand out and trip up the defender.

•  Levito says:

Correct me if I’m wrong, but I thought that holding call was terrible. It was just a straight up miss where he got a finger on the guy’s pads as he was running by him. Not sure how that warrants a holding call.

Either way, we haven’t really seen much Wilson pass blocking, although he did have a nice block in the game yesterday. I do remember Bradshaw routinely blowing defenders up in pass protection,

•  Dirt says:

It was a terrible call. However, if he’s in there solely because he can “block better” and he let a guy blow by him like that, a hold would have been better.

•  kinsho says:

You’re looking at the one play all year that he’s been called for holding. Generally, he does a stellar job at protecting Eli.

•  demo3356 says:

Reach much bro? Bradshaw has always been a very good blocker, he whiffed once yesterday. Stop grasping for straws already

3.  Levito says:

“The 52-27 beating they took from the Giants was the second-worst of the Drew Brees era”

Seems the Giants have been handing a lot of teams the worst beatings of their QB or head coaches era. They did it to the Saints, 2 weeks after doing it to the Packers, and a few weeks after doing it to SF. Let’s hope it continues next week against the Falcons.

•  Valid says:

Yeah. Funny how the three games most of us probably saw as the three toughest games on our schedule this year turned out to be absolute blowouts.

•  Dirt says:

The entire “first place schedule” argument is out the window. They’re 2-0 in those games, 6-5 in common games.

4.  Dirt says:

Simon is spot on. If he’s on the field, defenses need to worry. We officially have threats at receiver, tight end and running back. Like the Saints of old, this is an offense to be feared now.

5.  The Original G Man says:

@jorgeccastillo
    Rueben Randle wasn’t the punt returner yesterday and he played just one play on offense. #nyg

•  kinsho says:

Yeah, I’m glad our first-round pick made his name known yesterday, but whatever the hell happened to Randle? Are we sure he’s not injured? He was barely in the game yesterday.

6.  Levito says:

Also much kudos to Diehl. I thought he played a really solid game yesterday. Possibly his best performance in a few years.

•  kinsho says:

Indeed.

Can’t believe I’m saying this…….but perhaps…..perhaps…..I’ve been too hard on Diehl….

7.  The Original G Man says:

@jorgeccastillo
    In his 1st game back since Week 6, Jacquian Williams played 46 of 72 defensive snaps. Same as Chase Blackburn. #nyg

@jorgeccastillo
    David Wilson played 21 of 69 offensive snaps. Bradshaw played 38. #nyg

I’m taking huge pleasure in seeing the Taints get their come-uppance. That franchise … and I include the players, fans, and coaches … have turned into the poster child for dirtbags everywhere. After Katrina they had a wave of goodwill … which they promptly squandered. I hope it’s ‘bags on the head’ time again.

Eli missed a couple short dump passes yesterday … which troubles me because I thought that problem was long solved.

10.  The Original G Man says:

@RVacchianoNYDN
    Wondering where Rueben Randle was yesterday? He played 1 offensive snap yesterday. Jerrel Jernigan got 3. Ramses Barden got 4.

*slams hand on desk* …. that’s way too many for Barden. What the hell are they thinking?

•  kinsho says:

And out of those 4 snaps, Barden completely laid an egg on one play and cost us about 25 or so yards with a holding penalty.