November 30th, 2012 at 4:15 PM
By Simon Garron-Caine

So, this is a new little feature we're going to be doing around here: taking a look at a few possible headlines that you might read Tuesday morning after Eli Manning and the New York Giants face off with Robert Griffin III and the Washington Redskins.

'Robert Griffin III' photo (c) 2012, Keith Allison - license: http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/2.0/

"NFC Beasts"

The Giants have all but sealed the NFC East divisional crown yet again, after their 35-17 drubbing of the Washington Redskins on Monday Night Football. The Giants received an early spark from David Wilson's 64-yard touchdown run, and Eli and Co. never looked back, with Victor Cruz, Hakeem Nicks and Martellus Bennett all finding the end zone. The Giants now have a two-game division lead, with four left to play.

"RGIII Almost Does it Again"

Last go-round it was a 77-yard bomb to a streaking Victor Cruz, but this time a long, methodical 80-yard drive by Eli Manning that culminated in a 1-yard dive by Ryan Torain won a game that all but seals the NFC East crown for the division. Griffin was electric, throwing for 280 yards and running for another 92, and rallied his offense late, scoring two fourth quarter touchdowns to put the Redskins up, briefly, before another game-winning drive by Manning.

"New World Order"

The New York Giants fell flat on their face Monday night, as old NFC East King Eli Manning handed the crown to rookie Robert Griffin III. Manning threw three interceptions, while Griffin coasted to an easy 28-17 victory over a Giants team that was outplayed in all aspects of the game. The Redskins now find themselves only a game behind a reeling Giants team that has lost three of their last four games.

So, there you have your three options: A) the Giants come out and handle their business, beating a team they should beat en route to another divisional crown, B) the game plays out much like it did a few weeks ago, and everybody is left saying "Man the Giants still have them this year, but that Griffin kid is going to be good," or C) well, you know what C is.

Nobody wants C.

Tell us in the comments section below which story you think you'll be reading Tuesday morning, or make one of your own.

Tags: David Wilson, Eli Manning, Football, Hakeem Nicks, Martellus Bennett, Monday Night Football, New York, New York Giants, NFC East, NFL, Robert Griffin III, Ryan Torain, Victor Cruz, Washington Redskins

19 Responses to “Predicting the New York Giants Tuesday Morning Headline: Robert Griffin III Edition”

I like:

Sending the Skins Over the Cliff

A.P. The Democrats and Republicans may not agree about what to do about the looming “Fiscal Cliff” but while the seats were filled to capacity, in part by the upper crust of political Washington, at FedEx Field on Monday night for what was “must see” football in the Capital, the crowd left knowing that it is the New York Giants that have an even stronger hand on the path to the playoffs than President Obama has in the budget negotiations.

The Giants spent the night reminding their upstart competitors that it was they who had won a recent championship, and were determined to win another. And while Robert Griffen III played a very strong game, in the end it was Eli Manning who remains on top of his game despite some desultory moments this season during which he seemed less-than-interested. He, the Giants own rookie phenoms in Reuben Randle and David Wilson, and a ferocious defense that kept Griffen running for his life and controlled Alfred Morris on all but one lone run of over ten yards, combined to give the Giants a comfortable win that left no doubt which team is the class of the NFC East this year. In fact, the Giants suddenly look like the team to beat if you want the Lombardi Trophy. And they don’t look like they will give their title up easily.

•  BLU-82 says:

Cue kujo and the word “bloviate”

•  kinsho says:

You forgot the injury news segment of the article. Here, I’ll type it up for you:

“In injury news, Giants linebacker Keith Rivers broke his neck during pre-game warmups. When questioned about whether Rivers’ promising season has come to an end, Tom Coughlin remarked ‘Yeah. While I’m at it, I might as well put the damn kid on IR next year too.’

2.  jfunk says:

Well done Simon and 55. I like A but I don’t think anybody will be invoking the NFC Beast moniker this year.

As I recall when I said before the season that I thought the Skins were going to emerge as a serious threat many scoffed at the notion. But when you look at the NFC East you can now argue that they look like they’ll be the team we have to worry about the most over the next 5-6 seasons. The Eagles don’t really have a franchise quarterback, and Jerruh’s World seems likely to be a circus act as long as he’s the GM. The Skins have a coach who knows what he’s doing and can pull rank on his moronic owner, a franchise quarterback, a solid running back, and a pretty good defense when they get back their injured players next season.

In short, it’s the Redskins who concern me far more than the Eagles and Cowboys over the remainder of Eli’s career.

So I’m sitting here waiting to head out to a nice dinner and thinking about the options Perry Fewell has on his defense. Perhaps I am being a bit Pollyannish, but as I look at the personnel on the defense I see a group that could carry a team to a championship.

Start with the defensive line. With an increasing use of a rotation that includes JPP, Kiwi, Tuck, Osi, Canty, Joseph and Bernard (thanks to a move toward more three-safety looks that free Kiwi to get his hand in the dirt, and also free Justin Tuck to move around more to find good matchups for him) I see a bunch of fresh players who are better than any other defensive front in the NFL and are starting to hit their stride. If they are allocated snaps judiciously I think they should win almost every trench battle the rest of the season. While it would be nice if Austin showed any real ability, with Kiwi in this rotation it frees Tuck up to move inside at times (and Canty to line up more outside as he did in Dallas in their 3-4) and renders Austin relatively meaningless anyway.

Looking at the linebackers we have Chase Blackburn setting the defense and maintaining his knack for big plays, but in the three safety set Chase is going to see his snaps decline. On the outside we have Keith Rivers (probably the best linebacker on the team when he’s healthy) and Michael Boley (a very steady presence who has been outstanding for three years). In the big package on running downs it’s Boley, Kiwi and Blackburn. These linebackers are a lot better than many give them credit for being.

And then there is the most under-appreciated part of our defense: the backfield, which is viewed as a weakness by the punditry. But I look and see KP, Rolle, Brown, Hill, Amukamara, Webster (whose play is getting better as the season goes on) and Hosley and I’m having a hard time finding teams that have more talent in their defensive backfields. The adjustments they made last week gave them the ability to cover the center of the field with a safety, an area that had been a big problem previously in Cover 2 where the safeties had to play back and the MIKE wasn’t dropping into lanes quickly enough. They also gave Prince the freedom to cover his side of the field with press coverage and he has given up VERY little. I suspect that Webster will continue to play read-and-react and will therefore be vulnerable to double moves, but with KP behind him that is a lot less dangerous than when it’s Brown back there.

If these guys stay healthy, and they have their coaches distribute their snaps smartly, I think this defense can build into dominating form. I’m starting to expect a repeat of our last six games in 2012 when what had looked like a leaky ship suddenly became a very strong unit. The difference is that I believe that they can be even better this time around. Joseph is playing far better. If Rivers stays healthy he adds a huge dimension to the linebackers. Behind KP and Rolle we now have Brown and Hill, both of whom make up for their lack of Grant’s savvy with far superior athleticism and size. Prince is playing better than Ross ever did. I think this defense is on the verge of a breakout.

5.  jfunk says:

Honestly, I think sometimes we expect the strong character of the players the Giants sign to mean that they will simply take care of themselves and they need no motivation. Maybe our coaching staff is guilty as well. Last year it took a wake-up call from Fewell to Rolle, followed by Rolle & Coughlin to Tuck to get the defense in the right place. This year, we have Perry simply put on a tape of the 2011 defense running the same calls, but doing it better, and suddenly they show up.

Perhaps the reality is that even though you can trust these guys not to punch their mother in the face, they may still be in need of a little more inspiration than “just show up to work every day anddo as you’re told” to get out there and perform at a high level.

6.  kujo says:

Wow. Just watched that “Brick Strong” segment with Tuck. Really heartwrenching, Brian Song-type stuff there. I poke fun at Justin for his demeanor, but it is pretty clear that he is a man of a high caliber, the likes of which our organization is often blessed with. Hard to fathom the effect that sort of situation would have on a person.

7.  GmenMania says:

It has been nine long weeks since Kenny Phillips first suffered an MCL injury and he never imagined his right knee would still be a problem. And it’s not just bad luck or chronic knee issues, either.

Phillips said he’s still hurting because “When we started our rehab we didn’t go about it the right way.”

The Giants’ safety wouldn’t get into specifics, nor did he place blame on any one person, but he seemed clearly unhappy about the way his injury has been handled since he first got hurt in a Week 4 game in Philadelphia. He missed the next six games plus the bye week before returning last Sunday night against the Green Bay Packers.

Then he hurt his knee again.

“Yeah, it sucks,” Phillips said. “It’s real frustrating. It seems like it’s always something. But I’ve been able to play through it. This is probably the most I’ve been able to play. I’m trying to bounce back from it. It felt OK. I’m getting better each day.”

Phillips, who was limited in practice on Friday, is pressing to play again on Monday night in Washington and hopes to remain in the lineup the rest of the season. But he’s clearly still hurting and said it’ll likely be that way until the offseason when he can rest.

He had plenty of time to rest before last Sunday night, though, so he definitely didn’t feel like he rushed back onto the field. But something about the way he went about his rehab just didn’t seem to work out.

“When we started our rehab we didn’t go about it the right way, and now here we are, we’re dealing with it right now,” Phillips said. “I don’t want to get into (specifics). It just didn’t work out the way we wanted it to.

Asked if he was angry, Phillips said “I mean, I wouldn’t say I’m mad about it. It is what it is. No one’s perfect. I just think we both felt that something needed to change. We needed to change up the rehab. We just felt like we weren’t doing the right things.

8.  GIANTT says:

I think the best headline would be
    Giants Big Blue print to defense RG111 .
    They get the win AND show how to contain RG111 . Im depending on a couple of things that ff55y mentioned I have cherry picked comments b/c I have a short memory span
    ‘A bunch of fresh players ” talking about the Dline
    ” 3 safety set ” and to go along with that” Chase Blackburn will see his snaps decline ”
    Thats what I think to simplify and win this game .
    Oh and Eli to me is still a better NFL calibre QB and will take the offense in for several scores and will not have to rely on the defense , which will play well anyway