November 29th, 2012 at 11:22 AM

New York Giants head coach Tom Coughlin took the podium for his weekly press conference on Wednesday in anything but a jovial mood. With a huge game coming up on Monday night against the Washington Redskins, the coach made it clear he had more important things to do than go down the list of players and discuss their health status. Alas, their health statuses were widely discussed.

'Tom Coughlin Watches Giants' photo (c) 2011, Rajiv Patel (Rajiv's View) - license: http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nd/2.0/

The pre-practice injury report only included six players today. Among them were center David Baas (shoulder), running back Ahmad Bradshaw (foot), offensive lineman David Diehl (shoulder), wide receiver Domenik Hixon (ankle), safety Kenny Phillips (knee) and linebacker Jacquian Williams (knee).

Of the players listed, Baas, Diehl and Phillips will not practice today, although Coughlin says he hopes to have KP back on Friday. Meanwhile, Hixon and Williams will return to work doing (at the very minimum) individual drills, while Bradshaw "will be out there doing what he can."

Speaking of running backs, Coughlin praised newly signed Kregg Lumpkin and Ryan Torain, saying their workouts were "outstanding." Each will get reps on the scout team and possibly more as the week progresses, with both still in the mix for Monday night. However, it's David Wilson who assumes the role as #2.

"[Time] to ratchet it up. He's ready to go," Coughlin said of Wilson. "He has to be."

As far as the game itself, Coughlin couldn't overstate the importance. For the Redskins, it's a chance to pull themselves within striking distance. For the Giants, it's a chance to pull away from the pack.

"The stage has been set. It was a six-game schedule, now it's a five-game schedule. This is the most important game we've played all season," Coughlin said. "For both teams it's a very big game."

Additionally, Coughlin praised the progression of Robert Griffin III, saying he's "improved" from their first meeting and is unlike any other quarterback they face. He also feels Mike Shanahan is a bit of a gadget coach, and he expects to see a bit of that on Monday night.

Lastly, it was announced that offensive lineman Selvish Capers has cleared waivers and was re-signed to the Giants practice squad.

Tags: Ahmad Bradshaw, David Baas, David Diehl, David Wilson, Domenik Hixon, Football, Jacquian Williams, New York, New York Giants, NFL, Robert Griffin III, Ryan Torain, Tom Coughlin, Washington, Washington Redskins

Short URL:

41 Responses to “New York Giants’ David Wilson “Ready to Go” & More from an Afternoon Tea with Tom Coughlin”

1.  The Original G Man says:

John Clayton confirmed that Oakland is going to cut Rolando McClain.

2.  Valid says:

Is anyone else expecting a breakout game from Wilson this week?

•  BLU-82 says:

I’d say the anticipation is palpable.

If he gets anything less than 6000 yards and 43 touchdowns Monday, I’m gonna be completely disappointed.

•  The Original G Man says:

I’m expecting a couple flashes of brilliance.

•  BigBlueGiant says:

I’m not expecting special at all.

i’ll be impressed if he finishes with anything more than 60 yds.

•  Valid says:

Well when I say “breakout game,” I don’t mean 100 yards. If he gets 60 yards and a TD on six or seven carries, I’ll consider that kind of a breakout game for him.

•  jfunk says:

I expect he will throw a TD pass to Bear Pascoe.

•  demo3356 says:

Vaild- I’m expecting his best game as a pro for sure but wouldn’t expect anything to big/ He will only get like 10 Touches behind Braddy getting the lions share and Washington is pretty decent vs the run..

•  Valid says:

Yeah I’m not expecting a huge performance. People sometimes mistake the work “breakout” for 100+ yards and two or three TDs. I’m just expecting a very solid game from the kid that will give TC confidence in him going forward.

3.  Valid says:

Also, this has nothing to do with this game, but this is just some food for thought that I have been pondering, and I don’t think I can recall it ever being discussed here.

A lot of us say that if Plax doesn’t shoot himself in ’08, the Giants win the SB that year. You know what’s funny, though? If he doesn’t bring his glock into the club that night, the Giants probably don’t draft Nicks that year. Who knows what our receiving corps would look like right now if that didn’t happen.

I’m excited about Wilson. I don’t know if he has a breakout game but I just want to see the difference in him when he knows he will get carries. I’m also interested to see what type of plays KG designs for him. Those runs at the end of last game really aren’t the type for Wilson. But we weren’t planning to use him.

I also wonder if we can using him in the passing game. He’s a real mismatch against the washington LBs out in space.

5.  Grateful Giants says:

Pretty good article about the controversy in SF. Seems true to me.

“The team was winning games, and he did some very, very good things. Last year’s Saints playoff game built SMITH a ton of capital, and things like going 18-for-19 on a Monday Night in Arizona helped his cause. But in the back of everyone’s mind was the nagging thought: Can he beat Eli and the New York Giants?”

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/gola-harbaugh-qb-play-super-intentions-article-1.1210107#ixzz2DdWqpTsO

Interesting. So, if true, it tells you that the people who really know, the coaches around the league, know that the Giants are the looming threat. The pundits can say all they want, but their jobs are not on the line if they’re wrong. The coaches risk their jobs nearly every season.

Frankly, I think the “word” out there (and sometimes around even the Giants’ fan base) that our secondary is “weak” or “suspect” is based on assessing them when Kenny Phillips isn’t there to cut off the deep ball and the corners have to play way off their receivers. A secondary consisting of KP, Rolle, Brown, Webster and Amukamara is by no means a weak secondary. The league is going to start realizing that soon.

•  Grateful Giants says:

Thats a good point too. I mean, they are the professionals, and until you knock off the top dog, your still a bottom feeder.

It also makes sense why they played that JV style of offense against us in the first game. I was wondering why they played Clapernick so much in that first game with option game, and hooptie game plan, but that makes more sense now.

•  The Original G Man says:

It’s interesting. You have to think that if we were to face them in the playoffs, that we’re already in the heads of both SF and GB. And should we beat Atlanta in a few weeks, them too.

And I should add that with depth like Hill, Sash and Hosley, we’re in awfully good shape in that part of the defense if everyone can stay healthy.

This myth about our secondary is going to be smashed just as were the myths about Eli, and then about our receivers. Pundits could legitimately point at our linebackers and offensive line as question marks, but even there the level of play seems to be ascending. I’ve already mentioned that the interior of our offensive line has been brilliant of late. There have been problems at the edges but we have to hope those diminish as the season progresses. And I think a healthy Keith Rivers could make a HUGE amount of difference with our linebackers, but that remains to be seen.