November 22nd, 2012 at 10:00 AM

The New York Giants practice squad saw quite a shuffle on Wednesday, and not just because the team activated tackle Selvish Capers to the 53-man roster and signed guard Stephen Gooden to replace him, but because the Tampa Bay Buccaneers ravaged it. After facing the reality that Arrelious Benn is headed to Injured Reserve, the Bucs signed wide receiver David Douglas off of Big Blue's practice squad.

Although Douglas didn't make many waives during the preseason, hauling in only one pass for 23 yards (several other plays were called back due to holding), he was a big surprise during training camp. The undrafted rookie free agent out of Arizona turned a lot of heads, and had some experts wondering if he had made enough of an impression to earn a spot on the 53-man roster. Alas, he was released and signed to the practice squad during the final round of cuts.

When Domenik Hixon went down with a high ankle sprain against the Cincinnati Bengals, it was immediately speculated that Douglas would get the call. Instead, he's on his way to Tampa where he'll play under former Giants quarterbacks coach Mike Sullivan, who is now the Offensive Coordinator for the Bucs.

The Giants have yet to sign someone to replace Douglas.

Photo Credit: Mike Gannon

Tags: David Douglas, Football, Mike Sullivan, New York, New York Giants, NFL, Tampa Bay, Tampa Bay Buccaneers

28 Responses to “Tampa Bay Buccaneers Sign WR David Douglas Off of New York Giants Practice Squad”

1.  Dirt says:

Happy Thanksgiving, clowns!

I’m especially thankful for my man Plax landing a job. Last year, with Arena League-calibur Mark Sanchez throwing him the rock, he had 45 catches, 612 yards and 8 TDs. Dom Hixon has never had 45 catches in a season, never had 612 yards in a season, never had 8 TDs in a season. So as once again (as I predicted) he remains on pace to fall short of those numbers, and as the Giants passing game struggles, and Manningham signed elsewhere for a few bucks, I’m thankful that someone, somewhere gave a guy with legit talent like Plax a chance. We definitely wouldn’t want to spend that extra $2.2M of cap space on a guy who could help.

•  Dirt says:

That’s right I forgot, we wouldn’t want a short-term guy to take all the snaps away from Randle and stunt his growth.

Oh, Hixon and Barden are already taking those snaps? Nevermind.

•  Dirt says:

Or maybe it’s the aversion to older freee agents? Because our stiffs (like Diehl with his 5 sacks allowed) are definitely better than street stiffs (like Locklear who gave up none at RT and held it down during the only stretch of the season in which the passing attack performed).

•  demo3356 says:

I loved Plax when he was here and had hoped upon his release he would come home, but it wasn’t meant to be bro. I’m pretty sure it had nothing to do with money especially this year. 31 other GM’s passed on him for nearly 10 months and there has to be a reason. Either they saw him struggling to get seperation late last year or he is just a bad locker room guy. If ANYONE should have bought him back it is the WR barren Jets and even they passed. I think many folks here are sad he’s not a Giant, but I’m not sure it is a mistake

•  Dirt says:

We shall see, it’s entirely possible he’ll do nothing in Pittsburgh. The odds are definitely not in his favor.

But the offense was great with Manningham at #3. With Hixon, it’s not great, and no one will be scared.

Unless Bennett gets healthy or Killdrive figures out a way to insert Randle and/or Wilson, I’m officially worried about the passing game.

2.  demo3356 says:

Happy Thanksgiving to all my Big blue Brethren!!! I’m very Thankful to -
    be a fan of the New York Football Giants
    Dan Benton for creating and maintaining this wonderful site for all of us to gather from around the world to discuss the NYG
    all of you guys and gals (even Stoll and Krow) for making this place what it is

3.  GIANTT says:

No controversies today please . Today it gives me no pleasure to root for Dallas but Im going with least harm to the Giants at this point . I hope its a sloppy game and the Cowboys pull it out by attrition rather than that they obviously showed that they were the better team .
    I would like to give thanks for being in the place I am and that those with greater problems than I ( and after Sandy and seeing first hand what is for many people an ongoing tragedy I am sure that many people are really not in the right place to truly celebrate ) I will give a short prayer .
    I would also like to give thanks to all my fellow 101ers for giving me a knowledgeable and intelligent place to come to to discuss the NY Giants . Although I dont always agree with the opinions expressed , Im safe in the knowledge that they are made as true fans of a pretty darn good team .
    I also give thanks that my kids are all adults and Thanksgiving is now at THEIR
    homes . I just show UP EAT AND WATCH FOOTBALL. Life has its perks as you get older .

•  demo3356 says:

Root for the Cowplops? Nooooo Root for the Skins.. We already beat them once and have a 2 game lead on them. If Dallas finishes tied with us they would win the Tie breaker based on divisional record. If the Skins win and we beat them next week we pretty much finish them off

•  Dirt says:

Yup, I posted this last night: We’d win a 3 way tie if we sweep Washington and those two split, but would likely lose a 2 way tie to Dallas as they currently have 1 less division loss and 1 less common game loss.

4.  demo3356 says:

Former Giants and Colts G.M. Ernie Accorsi has been hired to help Panthers owner Jerry Richardson find the franchise’s next General Manager. The buzz in league circles is that Accorsi will recommend going with a younger option.
    So far, three names have made their way onto the grapevine: former 49ers G.M. Scot McCloughan, Ravens assistant G.M. Eric DeCosta, and Giants director of college scouting Marc Ross.
    Ross worked with Accorsi in New York. Though there had been some initial buzz that Giants exec Dave Gettleman would be on the short list, Ross is gaining more steam as the potential option arising from Accorsi’s past connections.

5.  Dirt says:

That assistant GM in Baltimore is so money – pull the trigger Jerry!

6.  GIANTT says:

Ok , Dirt , Demo – see this is exactly why I come on here – here I was about to make a large mistake by rooting for Dallas simply because they had the worst record and would have the biggest climb back to get to the Giants . But now , I can sit down this afternoon and explain EXACTLY why I am rooting for the Dedskins – LOL indeed – thanks to my fellow G101ers for setting me straight
    Admit it , how many of you out there would have thought the same way ?

•  demo3356 says:

NFC East Team W L T Pct Div
      New York Giants 6 4 0 .600 2-2
      Dallas Cowboys 5 5 0 .500 2-1
      Washington Redskins 4 6 0 .400 1-1
      Philadelphia Eagles 3 7 0 .300 1-2

7.  demo3356 says:

BTW the Bucs are starting to piss me off. Not sure if anyone remembers this but back in September of 09 right after the Giants completed a DOMINATING 24-0 thrashing of the Bucs in Tampa, Raheem Morris at his press conference went on and on about how the New York Football Giants were a “Big Boy” Football team and how they wanted to become a “Big Boy” Football team just like the Giants. GM mark Dominek has said the same thing several times, like Morris stating that the Bucs want to model themselves after the Giants from the top down. They have signed a few of our players as Free Agents, have claimed another few players thatwe have cut and now are poaching our PS. They even went DL heavy in their last 3-4 drafts.
    This off season they hired Mike Sullivan and Bill Sheriden to be their OC and DC. They even tried to pilfer KG jr but were denied. Later they announced that they were adding several elements of the Run and Shoot that Sullivan learned from Gillbride into their playbook. They also added a 6’5 physical freak of a WR to take the top off the defense and posses a dynamic running game behind a power house Offensive Line. They are trying to be the 2007 Giants.

It’s a copy-cat league. Look for plenty of running QBs in the next year or two.

On another note, to echo FF55 this year’s November choke seems a little different. It used to be that a unit or two were under-performing. And the solution, though difficult to implement, was pretty clear. This year it’s kind of baffling.

The players don’t seem to have a sense of urgency either. I know they’re saying the right things … and maybe it’ll all turn out fine. But it’s just got a different feel to it.

Does Osi sign with Tampa after the season? Just a thought.

•  demo3356 says:

it wouldn’t surprise me but they have spent a lot of picks on the DL the last 3-4 years and doesnt Osi and Bill Sheriden Hate each other?

•  GIANTT says:

Money cures all . Osi will do whats good for Osi – I have no problem with that , but to say that Osi would not go work for someone he supposedly doesnt “like” is to ignore the reality – Osi will be where the most money is . Judging by the Giants modus operandi , Im not so sure it will be here whenever he becomes a free agent

•  clever username says:

agree he will go where the money is, but it’s not like he’s knocking guys around this year. i see a similar situation to brandon jacobs where the money he’s hoping for just isn’t out there for him. he’ll take an extra million and a 2nd year somewhere else, but it’s not going to be a raise to what he’s been making, and it probably won’t be a starting role either.

9.  njm0m says:

Thanks Dan, had to go cook so I couldn’t reply before.

10.  njm0m says:

I’m so thankful for all of you guys and the wealth of football knowledge I have gained from each and everyone of you and that its still quite in my house. Thank you Dan and all the other writers for your countless efforts to make this the best place for Giant news. I truly hope each and everyone of you has a the best Thanksgiving and Washington beats the crap out of Dallas later.